Hunter Brzustewicz | D

On 11/4/2023 at 11:26 AM, flat land fish said:

The goals are incredible for sure.  What an unusual stat line for a dman 12-4-16 like is he playing net front on the PP?

23 hours ago, DeNiro said:

My thought was that he has an incredible point shot that they execute their powerplay around.

But yea very unusual for him to not have more assists.

22 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Karki has a cannon of a shot from the point. The Soo's PP runs through setting him up. I believe 8 of his 12 goals are on the PP. 

This is interesting, especially in view of a change in strategy that has occurred in NHL in the "analytics" era.

Basically, point shots are not a very good strategy in today's NHL and we see them a lot less than we used to, especially on the PP. See, for example, https://hockeysarsenal.substack.com/p/point-shots-suck

Back in the old days, we would often see a D-man with a big shot blasting the puck from the point, often quite far to one side of the ice or the other. At the NHL level, goalies are too good to get beaten by unscreened, undeflected point shots. 

Point shots are also not particularly good at generating high danger rebounds.

Even with traffic in front, it is usually better for the D-man to try to move closer to the net (as Hughes often does), or try to make a pass for a one-time somewhere in or near the faceoff circles or between the faceoff circles, or make a slap pass.

In the OHL is it possible to overpower goalies. I doubt if Karki's goal-scoring will translate to the NHL.

Of course, have a hard shot is good. But you need to do a lot more to get into high danger areas to make that shot.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Hunter has 30 points in 18 games after Kitchener's 4-0 win today. 

He currently sits tied for 2nd in OHL scoring.  

I was at that game. He makes it look easy, always right where he needs to be.

Also their goalie Jackson Parsons is very Demko like. Great game last night

1 minute ago, Jim Tim said:

He's solid in his own zone, he has an active stick and decent gap control. Not overly physical but knows where to be with his high hockey IQ. Stylistically, I think he looks like Adam Fox out there.

Thanks amigo....

That's really promising to hear.  Much appreciated.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, AK-19 said:

Is this guy eligible for the AHL next year? He looks like he's ready to leave the CHL.

Did some quick research and yes it appears that he would be eligible to join the AHL next year.

Apparently a CHL player would have to turn 20 by midnight of December 31st of that AHL season. Brzustewicz would turn 20 just over a month prior to this deadline.

Though it appears that he would be eligible, would it be a good idea to play him in the AHL?

If he is only going to get limited minutes, then probably not.

As a 19 year old in the AHL (19 as of September 15th) would he be physically mature enough to handle the everyday rigours? The AHL can be very physically challenging for some young players.

Typically you want a player to dominate at the lower level before moving them up to the next level. It would appear that Brzustewicz is having a dominant year or at least a very good start to this year.

First we need to sign him and then the Player Development Department will have to come up with a plan for this player.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Artemus said:

Did some quick research and yes it appears that he would be eligible to join the AHL next year.

Apparently a CHL player would have to turn 20 by midnight of December 31st of that AHL season. Brzustewicz would turn 20 just over a month prior to this deadline.

Though it appears that he would be eligible, would it be a good idea to play him in the AHL?

If he is only going to get limited minutes, then probably not.

As a 19 year old in the AHL (19 as of September 15th) would he be physically mature enough to handle the everyday rigours? The AHL can be very physically challenging for some young players.

Typically you want a player to dominate at the lower level before moving them up to the next level. It would appear that Brzustewicz is having a dominant year or at least a very good start to this year.

First we need to sign him and then the Player Development Department will have to come up with a plan for this player.

I mean I'm not sure what your definition for dominance is but he's in the top 3 in points for ALL players and has 10 more points than the 2nd place dman. Assuming he's like this for the rest of the season, he needs to move to a league where he's challenged more. It's exciting that next year's AHL team's d-core may look like this:

Wolanin             McWard

Hirose                Willander

Pettersson         Hunter

Johanssen        Woo

Even if hypothetically he's not good enough for AHL (although I would be surprised), he'd still have the ECHL to go to which I would still consider a step-up on the CHL and at the very least be challenged more physically. The way our D is looking next year, Hunter should have a clear spot with the PP at the very least. 

Edited by AK-19
  • Cheers 1