Sawyer Mynio | D

PickleCanuck

On 8/23/2024 at 4:02 PM, Jim Tim said:

One of my favourite prospects, I think this kid has a solid chance at becoming a second pair d-man. So smart and well rounded.

We have to get better at developing our picks into guys that play NHL games and quit having to sign so many UFA players.  

• Vintage 1
  • chaos 1

On 8/25/2024 at 10:37 AM, kettlevalley said:

We have to get better at developing our picks into guys that play NHL games and quit having to sign so many UFA players.  

I think we've done quite well here. 

DeBrusk

Heinen

Sherwood

Sprong

Descharnais

Forbort

21m

I would call the Kuzmenko Mikheyev experiment a wash. 

Blueger and Suter have been tremendous value. Soucy and Joshua. This has been the feather in MGMT cap and where JB shot himself in the foot. 

As for development I really feel like we have a great group. All the way top to bottom from Ryan Johnson and the Sedins, Foote, Gonch,to Malhotra, Collition, Krog, Yogi. Not to mention Ian Clarke and co doing their thing. 

This is a really good group assembled to teach our prospects.

Edited by Hammertime
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Hammertime said:

I think we've done quite well here. 

DeBrusk

Heinen

Sherwood

Sprong

Descharnais

Forbort

21m

I would call the Kuzmenko Mikheyev experiment a wash. 

Blueger and Suter have been tremendous value. Soucy and Joshua. This has been the feather in MGMT cap and where JB shot himself in the foot. 

As for development I really feel like we have a great group. All the way top to bottom from Ryan Johnson and the Sedins, Foote, Gonch,to Malhotra, Collition, Krog, Yogi. Not to mention Ian Clarke and co doing their thing. 

This is a really good group assembled to teach our prospects.

You really just made my point.  You assemble a group of people to develop players.  Then sign so many UFA at inflated prices the kids can't make the team.  Then you have a team of UFA and graduated high picks, all paid more then the ELC players the UFA blocked.  And then say you want to win without the value ELC players you need to get the value out of to win.  

1 hour ago, kettlevalley said:

You really just made my point.  You assemble a group of people to develop players.  Then sign so many UFA at inflated prices the kids can't make the team.  Then you have a team of UFA and graduated high picks, all paid more then the ELC players the UFA blocked.  And then say you want to win without the value ELC players you need to get the value out of to win.  

They didn't sign a bunch of inflated UFA though. If Bains or Raty out play Sprong PDG they will play and Sprong PDG will find themselves on waivers. Our prospects aren't roadblocked but they do have to earn their spot. 

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

They didn't sign a bunch of inflated UFA though. If Bains or Raty out play Sprong PDG they will play and Sprong PDG will find themselves on waivers. Our prospects aren't roadblocked but they do have to earn their spot. 

Yet we already traded Pods for peanuts because he needed waivers and was road blocked?  Hmmm. 

I see him as a primo asset we will regret losing.  

• Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

Yet we already traded Pods for peanuts because he needed waivers and was road blocked?  Hmmm. 

If a 4th round was the best 31 other teams would offer, I  wouldn't consider consider him a primo asset. 

As Hammertime stated, players now need to earn a spot (he wasn't road blocked) He had his time to show here and he wasn't capable or willing to do what they wanted for them to wait any longer and then he would be on waivers with no asset to use or trade

Canucks have been a capped out team for over a decade and now even with resigning stars the team is still improving, (Pods not so much), so they made an upgrade to the team at lil cost, We have a great management team that work together sharing opinions and make a collective decision and I support them

At 1st, I too thought the return for Pods was underwhelming, Only because of where we drafted him, but there are lots of 1st rounds picks that don't return their value, but I trust they put their collective ideas together and took the best path to making us better, and that 4th may even be traded to make us even better in the future, our window of competing with this group is happening  and everyone on the team has to pull their own weight to be a part of it. The team saw an opportunity available to improve, rather than wait on Pods and gift him a spot and then lose him on waivers, and then overpay in desperation to have the player they want and expect,

This also sends an accountable wake up message to others to meet expectations on the big team and minor teams and I like it (No more Jakes)

• ThereItIs 1

41 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

If a 4th round was the best 31 other teams would offer, I  wouldn't consider consider him a primo asset. 

As Hammertime stated, players now need to earn a spot (he wasn't road blocked) He had his time to show here and he wasn't capable or willing to do what they wanted for them to wait any longer and then he would be on waivers with no asset to use or trade

Canucks have been a capped out team for over a decade and now even with resigning stars the team is still improving, (Pods not so much), so they made an upgrade to the team at lil cost, We have a great management team that work together sharing opinions and make a collective decision and I support them

At 1st, I too thought the return for Pods was underwhelming, Only because of where we drafted him, but there are lots of 1st rounds picks that don't return their value, but I trust they put their collective ideas together and took the best path to making us better, and that 4th may even be traded to make us even better in the future, our window of competing with this group is happening  and everyone on the team has to pull their own weight to be a part of it. The team saw an opportunity available to improve, rather than wait on Pods and gift him a spot and then lose him on waivers, and then overpay in desperation to have the player they want and expect,

This also sends an accountable wake up message to others to meet expectations on the big team and minor teams and I like it (No more Jakes)

We have consistently let players go that excelled elsewhere for a while now.  While I see a management team that has improved the team and corrected some mistakes, I see them continuing to make the same mistakes as previous regimes by overstocking with UFA's that they judge as better through biased glasses.  The next couple camps we will risk loosing several players through waivers, and signing Sprong while a good dollar deal is a short sighted deal that was compounded by the Blais PTO.  Looks like it will be very very hard for our young forwards to break through this year when we have several that are very close and should be fighting for a spot.  A spot that isn't there.  

6 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

We have consistently let players go that excelled elsewhere for a while now.  While I see a management team that has improved the team and corrected some mistakes, I see them continuing to make the same mistakes as previous regimes by overstocking with UFA's that they judge as better through biased glasses.  The next couple camps we will risk loosing several players through waivers, and signing Sprong while a good dollar deal is a short sighted deal that was compounded by the Blais PTO.  Looks like it will be very very hard for our young forwards to break through this year when we have several that are very close and should be fighting for a spot.  A spot that isn't there.  

Who says they can't earn a spot? Just because the Canucks made the team better at low cost to get assets, before over bidding to do that

If one of our prospects is at the level and ready to be a better option, Of course this group is looking to improve the team, and for sure in also giving them welcome cap space,

The NHL is for the best players in hockey to play in, it is not a development league and the Canucks are doing their best within cap restraints and would love cheaper players to make them better

Once again that it is on the player to make that an easy choice for the management and not to gift a spot because of age and drafting

2 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

If they can't beat out a PTO invite who has 84 GP/ 27 P in the last two years, they're not even close. Blaise isn't blocking anybody.

2 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

Which players have excelled elsewhere in recent history? We gave up on Forsling and that was a draft pick 9-10 years ago. We needed to move out OEL or we'd have no cap and lose out on Petey. Podz had lots of chances. The nail in the coffin was probably his concussion, and lack of production at the end of the season last year. 

I get it that it sucks to lose a 1st round draft pick. You'd be going nuts if we lost Podz for nothing on waivers. 

39 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

I thought I was in a Sawyer Mynio thread🤔

Anyhow I really like this pick (Thanks Toronto) and look forward to seeing this Dman progress. He can play both sides or is he mostly a left D? 

I just hope Sawyer is going to have a big impact. We need all the depth we can. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/27/2024 at 9:04 AM, kettlevalley said:

We want to win now though. Can't drag Podz if he isn't going to beat PDG for a roster spot at 23. I agree he will be a good 3rd liner one day. Realistically that's not hard to find. Suter, Blueger, Sherwood are also good 3rd liners. Their all 2m or less.  Dak was almost out of the NHL on his ass 2 years ago same with Heinen. I hope Podz plays his way up I think he will. But theres no sense jumping off Winifred falls (kettle river) trying to work the roster around a guy that has used up his waiver exempt years and isn't getting it. The show must go on. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2024 at 1:14 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Which players have excelled elsewhere in recent history? We gave up on Forsling and that was a draft pick 9-10 years ago. We needed to move out OEL or we'd have no cap and lose out on Petey. Podz had lots of chances. The nail in the coffin was probably his concussion, and lack of production at the end of the season last year. 

I get it that it sucks to lose a 1st round draft pick. You'd be going nuts if we lost Podz for nothing on waivers. 

Other teams gave up on Forsling too. Not to mention McCann.

• Cheers 1

On 8/27/2024 at 9:04 AM, kettlevalley said:

Honestly, Podz’s value was diminishing and we would have lost him for absolutely nothing. I love the guy and wish him well, but he needed a change of scenery. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1