★[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Florida Panthers • Dec 14, 2023 • 7PM • Rogers Place (Roberto Luongo Night ROH Induction)★

Crimson JH

40 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I think Luongo was to a generation of fans what Bure was to a previous generation.

When he came it was so big, and that first season it was like nothing we had ever seen before. He was a top star in the league & his arrival flipped the trajectory of the team immediately. He made alot of people die-hard fans. 

Maybe that's why the debate over jersey retirement is so fierce.

But tonight should be good & hopefully we continue our run of encouraging play

This is exactly it. Luongo is basically Bure, but as a goalie and 15 years later.

I personally don't feel that either player should have their numbers retired, but if you retire one, it makes sense to just retire both. I do wonder if his arguably greater legacy with Florida leads the team to feel weird about retiring his number here.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

This is exactly it. Luongo is basically Bure, but as a goalie and 15 years later.

I personally don't feel that either player should have their numbers retired, but if you retire one, it makes sense to just retire both. I do wonder if his arguably greater legacy with Florida leads the team to feel weird about retiring his number here.

Retiring players numbers is something I don't really believe in. Permanent banners in the building is a great thing as well. No one can predict the future and you

just never know when a player might want a certain #. because he always wore it in junior and he may be a first round pick. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barnstorm said:

Feels like a distraction from the important business at hand…winning games. 

IIRC the team seems to come out slow more often than not after these long drawn out player recognition affairs. 

Luongo isn’t high on my list for appreciation either. Failed to deliver in the end and  left us holding the bag. I know many fans worship the ground he walks on however I don’t.  

My boy Barn ,,, I am of the same opinion but would add one more thing the whole "C" Saga was a terrible debacle. 

1 minute ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Retiring players numbers is something I don't really believe in. Permanent banners in the building is a great thing as well. No one can predict the future and you

just never know when a player might want a certain #. because he always wore it in junior and he may be a first round pick. 

Eh, a player's pedigree as a top pick doesn't merit using a retired number to me. It's that kind of thinking that led Messier to thinking he could grab #11 (though it wasn't technically retired, so it's a bit different).

I do think there's a case to be made for not retiring numbers, but not on the basis of leaving numbers available for players of high pedigree.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Eh, a player's pedigree as a top pick doesn't merit using a retired number to me. It's that kind of thinking that led Messier to thinking he could grab #11 (though it wasn't technically retired, so it's a bit different).

I do think there's a case to be made for not retiring numbers, but not on the basis of leaving numbers available for players of high pedigree.

Yah, Wayne. Come to think of it, I was furious about that...

8 minutes ago, billydakid said:

I wonder if there will be any ex players who speak before or just a video tribute. I'm guessing the latter as they aren't hanging his number up in the rafters. I do believe had he not been asked to be traded, it would have been retired, and deservedly so IMHO.

Probably the Sedins will be there, they work for the Canucks now.

• Like 1