★[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Florida Panthers • Dec 14, 2023 • 7PM • Rogers Place (Roberto Luongo Night ROH Induction)★

Crimson JH

I find a lot of people are wearing rose-coloured glasses today regarding Lu. Only wanting to see the good that he did, his Canucks records, etc. Someone said he was the best Canuck ever? Funny stuff.

Lu was a great goalie, for the most part, but it's not unanimous. McLean and Brodeur were also very good. He choked in the Finals, but whatever. He did win an NHL award - but had to share it with Schneids. Then there was "pumping Tim's tires". Or acting like a child when Torts decided to start Lack in the Heritage Classic. Soon after that he wanted out, to go home to mommy in Florida. Not to mention that penalty hit the Canucks cap had to take for a few years while he worked for the Panthers. Best Canuck ever? Funny. Good Tweeter though.

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I think the players will be absolutely hyped. If I hadn't made the guess I did, I'd change it starting with the Canucks 8..

No, they have never played with Luongo but sucking in the aura of the moment and the fans going nuts, should pump them up..        

i’m not sure why, but having this beautiful blonde women involved in the whole hockey thing makes no sense to me… It takes away from hockey itself… She has no logical reason to be there - she’s just eye candy - shes just a beautiful face and that’s it… They should have hockey players interview hockey players keep it within the realms of the sport… she adds nothing… and takes away from what’s happening - it says all you need is to be beautiful and doors open for you… entitlement - and privilege for the beautiful…

You would never see an overweight pimple faced women in her place would you?

That’s why it’s awesome to see former NHLers - guys like Bieksa in sports media… Because it makes sense - -there’s a continuity there there’s a logic there that I think adds to watching a hockey game… Because he has authority to speak into the situation that’s going on…

rant over… 

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS

1 minute ago, Nucker67 said:

I find a lot of people are wearing rose-coloured glasses today regarding Lu. Only wanting to see the good that he did, his Canucks records, etc. Someone said he was the best Canuck ever? Funny stuff.

Lu was a great goalie, for the most part, but it's not unanimous. McLean and Brodeur were also very good. He choked in the Finals, but whatever. He did win an NHL award - but had to share it with Schneids. Then there was "pumping Tim's tires". Or acting like a child when Torts decided to start Lack in the Heritage Classic. Soon after that he wanted out, to go home to mommy in Florida. Not to mention that penalty hit the Canucks cap had to take for a few years while he worked for the Panthers. Best Canuck ever? Funny. Good Tweeter though.

I was there for King Richard and McLean. 

Luongo was statistically and eye-test better. 

Don’t get me wrong, the only goalie sweater I own is McLean’s. 

He’s my all-time. 

Just like Bieksa is my all-time. Doesn’t mean I don’t love Jovo, Ohlund, Huggy, Lumme, etc. 

13 minutes ago, John.Tallhouse said:

Hard to blame the goalie when you get shutout in the biggest game of your life. But he let in some legendarily bad stinkers. 

It was a bad game top to bottom. 

If you watched it 4 times, then you ought to appreciate that stinker wasn’t on him solely. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

I’m a big McLean fan, but Bobby Lu will always be #1 and based on his 8 year tenure that includes winning Gold here I would’ve love to see his number retired tonight despite not winning a cup. 

In saying that if/when this team hoists the cup and Hughes, Demmer, Miller, and Petey are all apart of the winning team I guess we will be adding 43, 35, 9 and 40 up in the rafters, something no other retired Canuck seemed to do. 

Let’s Go Boys and win tonight! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Time passes and people get nostalgic. At the end of the day dude was a good goalie but dropped the ball on the teams  biggest night to date. Again you can’t put it on the goalie when your team doesn’t score but Lu choked on the biggest stage.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I was there for King Richard and McLean. 

Luongo was statistically and eye-test better. 

Don’t get me wrong, the only goalie sweater I own is McLean’s. 

He’s my all-time. 

Just like Bieksa is my all-time. Doesn’t mean I don’t love Jovo, Ohlund, Huggy, Lumme, etc. 

Gary Smith >

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

It was a bad game too to bottom. 

If you watched it 4 times, then you ought to appreciate that stinker wasn’t on him solely. 

Did you even watch the game. Some of those goals are straight bush league. I love Lu but he still played awful in a big game and he has to wear that. That was a tight series. Maybe we win that game if he can lock it down 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

He did win an NHL award - but had to share it with Schneids.

He chose to share it with Schneider.  Huge difference.

Luongo admitted he didn’t know of the appearances-versus-starts criteria for the Jennings. Schneider would have needed 25 starts to be considered for the Calder Trophy. But the Jennings is all about appearances, whether it’s a few minutes or an entire game.

“I think he’s got one more start and obviously, if we have a chance to win it (together), I’d definitely let him play,” Luongo said of Schneider.

“I’d give him a minute. I’d give him a shift,” joked the Canucks starter. “It’s a team thing and that’s a real important thing. We’ve talked about it (Jennings) and obviously we’d love to have it and with three games left, hopefully we can keep the scoring chances down.”

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/2011/04/05/will-schneiders-name-go-on-jennings-trophy

From the boxscore of the Apr 5, 2011 game vs. Edmonton:

image.png.40ad329969dbbb5e17d5457073e2ba2d.png

(far right column is TOI)

2 minutes ago, John.Tallhouse said:

Did you even watch the game. Some of those goals are straight bush league. I love Lu but he still played awful in a big game and he has to wear that. That was a tight series. Maybe we win that game if he can lock it down 

Yes. I watched it. 

He had almost no support in front of him.  

Can’t change your mind, so I wont. 

• Upvote 4