★[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Florida Panthers • Dec 14, 2023 • 7PM • Rogers Place (Roberto Luongo Night ROH Induction)★

Crimson JH

22 minutes ago, John.Tallhouse said:

He played his worst game of hockey on the biggest night of his career. We haven’t won anything. Calling anyone the “best we’ve had” is laughable tbh. 

If it was THAT obvious then it is the coach that is ultimately to blame for not doing his job. Mr.Ego should have pulled him or not played him at all. To me AV was much more instrumental in that series loss after the league shenanigans.

"Best this team has ever had" it is childishly simple to figure out numerous ways. Who won more games? Who stopped more pucks? Who lost the fewest games? Who played the most playoff games? Who got the blue ribbon for best in the league two years in a row, which has never happened again? Most shutouts in the playoffs?

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

It was AV's idea to some extent, as MG said here.  Mike said it here on why and then why they went to Hank later.  

Whoa, I almost didn’t even recognise Mike Gillis. He sure let himself go with that beard. 

Just now, Jaimito said:

Actually no.  Game 7 he didn't played well but certainly was not his worst.  Game 3 perhaps.   The team in front of him was a no show.  Can't score, all banged up.  Kesler, Bieksa, Erhoff, Salo, Hank no goals in entire SCF.  Dan has one maybe in a losing cause in Bosto.  Lui won two 1-0 shutouts, and a 3-2 OT game.  You are scapegoating him for a team loss. 

Gold medal game at home was arguably bigger game on the world stage with more Canadian audience, and he made the big save on Sharp in OT which lead to Crosby's goal.  He was unbeaten in 2010 Olympics. 

Honestly I’d trade the 2010 gold medal for the 2011 Stanley cup in a heart beat. Valid point tho probably a more stressful game playing for gold. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, John.Tallhouse said:

I remember game 1 of that series was one of the most boring hockey games of all time. Lappy with the OT goal? 

Don’t let ‘perfect’ be the enemy. 

If you know and lived through the late 70’s and then the 80’s and 90’s and the 2000’s…then appreciate what this team and fanbase had in Luongo. 

He was literally the greatest of all time Canucks goaltenders. 

I can’t believe I even need to argue this. :picard:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Lui had no part of that though ammirite? 

Great point. 

Can’t believe we have to defend Bobby Lu. 

Ridiculous. 

Best goalie I’ve seen in person playing that position since Captain Kirk. 

You don’t have to defend anyone. 

Express your opinion and understand that others will express theirs. 

Best is subjective until someone hoists the cup. Then it would be hard to deny  them being the best. 

• Like 1

Just now, John.Tallhouse said:

Honestly I’d trade the 2010 gold medal for the 2011 Stanley cup in a heart beat. Valid point tho probably a more stressful game playing for gold. 

Since I was at the gold medal game with my dad, I wouldn't trade that for anything.  Until Nux win the cup, that will be the most exciting sporting event I've ever attended.  

Especially now NHL players are not in Olympics anymore.   We may never see Bedard and McDavid playing for Canada on a best on best tournament that means something.   WHC just doesn't feel the same.  I went to the last one in Toronto, was just ok.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Lui doesn’t really need to be defended to this fanbase. His stats speak for themselves. 

His accomplishments can’t be denied. 

It is what it is. 

It's a bit sad, though.  So many fans are still so bitter that they can't celebrate one of the best

teams and clearly the best goalies in Canuck history. 

Yeah, yeah...they didn't win a cup...sniff, sniff.  Too bad. 

Let's not forget what a tremendous era that was and the several years of superb hockey we enjoyed.

What a great time it was for the fans.  Let's not toss those memories in the garbage.

It's important to honour the Canucks history.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

Don’t let ‘perfect’ be the enemy. 

If you know and lived through the late 70’s and then the 80’s and 90’s and the 2000’s…then appreciate what this team and fanbase had in Luongo. 

He was literally the greatest of all time Canucks goaltenders. 

I can’t believe I even need to argue this. :picard:

No need to argue, I’m not arguing the facts. You’re 100% correct. And I know the mature thing to do is celebrate this man who gave us so much great hockey. But the man sure does bring up a lot of bad memories for fans. He was very polarizing. Showing up big in games and then looking like a ghost in another. I still think that performance in game 7 was horrendous. I don’t want to put it all on bobby but he HAS to be bobby in that game! 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

You are scapegoating him for a team loss. 

Can you imagine how easy it would be to sell this poster some beach front property? A drunk driver plowing into a barricade at 120kmh in a 60 zone but is was the weather that was at fault, the sun was in the eyes.

As I posted the only person that had the biggest influence on the game was the coach. If he didn't do his job then chaos reigned. Luo had two shutouts, he had to stop ALL the goals for them to win.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Not to be all picky about this but you haven’t tweeted so long that it’s no longer called Twitter…

Twitter is dead

It’s a completely different thing now…

no longer a leftist platform…

And its called X

I know it’s X, but calling it Twitter sound so much better than just saying “Oh let me X it or repost it on “X.” 

It is such an unflattering name change… 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Barnstorm said:

You don’t have to defend anyone. 

Express your opinion and understand that others will express theirs. 

Best is subjective until someone hoists the cup. Then it would be hard to deny  them being the best. 

It’s all subjective of course.

As a fanbase I was hoping for a bit more critical thought by some. 

In any case, like I said, I can’t change anyone’s opinion, nor am I seeking to. 

Some folks cling to their opinions no matter what. 

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

It’s all subjective of course.

As a fanbase I was hoping for a bit more critical thought by some. 

In any case, like I said, I can’t change anyone’s opinion, nor am I seeking to. 

Some folks cling to their opinions no matter what. 

Opinions…

IMG_8814.jpeg.1f1e7ba276b8bd8871b23aed21754e81.jpeg

• ThereItIs 1

53 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Luongo was great when he first got here and led the team to a lot of success.  Eventually he became a prima donna.  His pump my tires speech after game 5 absolutely killed Vcr's chances to win the cup.  All on him for picking that time to be such a self centered jerk.

Luongo's stupid rant was answered by Thomas saying I don't know what he's talking about I'm just playing hockey.

That led to Boston taking over feeling superior and energized and kicking VCR in game 6 and 7.

Then he pulled a prima donna again over the stupid BC Place game and wanted out.

Then screwed his team with the cap recapture.

Blah.

Not a fan of his.

Yes i'm sure that comment resulted in everything that transpired after (sarcasm).     There wouldn't have been a cup run, at all, if the contract had to be done like they are today.    And no, Gillis wasn't warned.   It is what it is, don't see any reason to pile on him  anymore.   Let him have his night.  Surely deserves it. 

Man oh man this night is bringing out a lot of old feeling for most of us... I'll attempt to summarize why I think  he's always been and will be a lightning rod for controversy in canuckland.

His EGO was more leagendary than his skill ever was... And that is saying something.  He was by far the most skilled goaltender this franchise has ever had.  Unfortunately because he fed off his ego so much, he was mentally fragile and would crumbled in big moments to often.

We were sold Superman and we were given a non evil version of Homelander.

Edited by Hogs and Podz
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, John.Tallhouse said:

No need to argue, I’m not arguing the facts. You’re 100% correct. And I know the mature thing to do is celebrate this man who gave us so much great hockey. But the man sure does bring up a lot of bad memories for fans. He was very polarizing. Showing up big in games and then looking like a ghost in another. I still think that performance in game 7 was horrendous. I don’t want to put it all on bobby but he HAS to be bobby in that game! 

Really it just boils down to that although that was a great team, we had no Playoff Performers/Gamers that we can say they were our heroes. Linden scoring 2 goals in game 7 of the SCF while having numerous injuries including broken ribs fall under that. 

Players making key plays of big games like "Brown to Bure" or McLean stacking the pads against Calgary also fall under that.

We have had many great players who wore a Canuck uniform but not many I consider "Heroe like" where we place them high on a pedestal.

Lu fallls under one of the great players who gave us some entertaining regular season games, which is fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Man oh man this night is bringing out a lot of old feeling for most of us... I'll attempt to summarize why I think  he's always been and will be a lightning rod for controversy in canuckland.

His EGO was more leagendary than his skill ever was... And that is saying something.  He was by far the most skilled goaltender this franchise has ever had.  Unfortunately because he fed off his ego so much, he was mentally fragile and would crumbled in big moments to often.

We were sold Superman and we were given a non evil version of Homelander.

“Non evil version of Homelander” is wild 😂.

i do seem to remember him having an ego but feels like your psycho analyzing the man a bit. I don’t know there’s anything to suggest it affected his play. Unless you can pull up tweets 😅

31 minutes ago, Falcons said:

Stanley cup finals 

leaky Lou let in 8 goals in game three, 4 goals in game four, 5 goals in game six and 4 goals in game 7 

The Canucks scored 8 goals in 7 games in that SCF

Sorry man, but basically you're throwing the SCF loss on him, where he would have had to limit the other team to either 0 or 1 goal for us to win. Had we been able to score more, you might have an argument. But its actually amazing we got 3 games given how few goals we scored. It kind of proves he was the one who kept us in it.

• Vintage 1