★[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Florida Panthers • Dec 14, 2023 • 7PM • Rogers Place (Roberto Luongo Night ROH Induction)★

Crimson JH

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

You know I still hate Lou for putting us through that cap crap. He could have done us a solid but seemed to take revelry in not. So imo he can go kick rocks. Panther ferlife

I'm not sure whether to give a Laugh, Alien or Cheers emoji.  I'd give all 3 I think.

Lu's contract was terrible, but he signed it and I don't like that he ran back to mommy and left the Canucks to pay his debt. 

Great goalie and all, though.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, spook007 said:

It all good to say that, but if you notice only 1 of the 3 games we won, wasn't a shut out... 

That suggests to me at least that there were also other issues than Bobby Lu's goals against... The team didn't score enough. Its as simple as that... regardless of issues and reasons Canucks did not score enough goals...

Thomas played better than Luongo... But forwards goals dried out... Plenty of opportunities to score, but they didn't.

Because obviously, it's Luongo's fault for not scoring more goals against the Bruins that series... :picard:

There's enough blame to go around for how the series was lost, and that blame should be shared far outside the locker room, into the league offices as well.

• Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Because obviously, it's Luongo's fault for not scoring more goals against the Bruins that series... :picard:

There's enough blame to go around for how the series was lost, and that blame should be shared far outside the locker room, into the league offices as well.

It's all Aaron Rome's fault !! Well maybe it is maybe it isn't but it sure seemed like it was a a turning point for the Bears.           

Luongo was amazing for us for 7 years, and I hope there's not too much focus on his nutty contract (not his fault) or the fact that the team fell just short of a Stanley Cup with him in goal. That 2011 regular season and playoffs (minus a couple games that I choose not to think about) was the most fun I've ever had watching hockey, in big part due to his great goaltending. And the amazing powerplay. Oh, and the incredible penalty kill. Damn that was a good team :classic_smile:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Feels like a distraction from the important business at hand…winning games. 

IIRC the team seems to come out slow more often than not after these long drawn out player recognition affairs. 

Luongo isn’t high on my list for appreciation either. Failed to deliver in the end and  left us holding the bag. I know many fans worship the ground he walks on however I don’t.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Beautiful GDT thanks!

The artwork looks the same as the old Popeye cartoons.

My favorite takeaway from those cartoons is Wimpy's, "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."

I use it all the time and almost no-one today understands me (and I don't care - its up to the kids today + Google to figure things out). 

And that hamburger was 5¢ - yes, life was good then (and a nickel was real money to a kid).

1rx.gif

Now, hand me that can of spinach, I got some big cats to dance.

d9obvd0-120e8979-123b-42cc-87dd-211f96e1popeye-sailor.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

I will say this... I don't think Luongo's jersey should be retired... But I'll also say that, this being the case.... Naslunds Jersey shouldn't have been retired either... 

To me Naslund's impact and worth to the team is similar to Luongo's... Maybe even even less.  So with this logic, Luongo's jersey should be retired as well.  But I think management and ownership choice in offering ring of honour to Luongo is the correct one.  But they got it wrong with Naslund. 

Though Naslund was great... He was no Bure, Sedins, Linden or Smyl.... Should be in ROH with Luongo.  

So tonight's ceremony... Though long overdue.  In my opinion, is a little slight towards Luongo.  I often wonder, if Luongo hadn't retired and served his time playing out his contract... so the recapture penalty wasn't enacted, would this ceremony be a jersey retirement instead?

Edited by Hogs and Podz
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

For people crying about his contract, just remember it was completely 100% legal at the time he signed it and we only got hit with a bullshit penalty after the new CBA was put in place. Oh and New Jersey and LA were allowed to get out of similar penalties from Kovalchuk/Richards contracts. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

It all good to say that, but if you notice only 1 of the 3 games we won, wasn't a shut out... 

That suggests to me at least that there were also other issues than Bobby Lu's goals against... The team didn't score enough. Its as simple as that... regardless of issues and reasons Canucks did not score enough goals...

Thomas played better than Luongo... But forwards goals dried out... Plenty of opportunities to score, but they didn't.

Team didn't score enough in our playoff series with Dallas either years earlier (Turco was "credited" with THREE shutouts) & we still advanced either.  But people don't talk about Luongo being able to hold the fort then.  Luongo had two shutouts in the Finals.  He stunk the bed in our home games pretty much.  There was good & bad there (getting a shutout, forget two, is no easy task in the Finals).  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

Beautiful GDT thanks!

The artwork looks the same as the old Popeye cartoons.

My favorite takeaway from those cartoons is Wimpy's, "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."

I use it all the time and almost no-one today understands me (and I don't care - its up to the kids today + Google to figure things out). 

And that hamburger was 5¢ - yes, life was good then (and a nickel was real money to a kid).

1rx.gif

Now, hand me that can of spinach, I got some big cats to dance.

d9obvd0-120e8979-123b-42cc-87dd-211f96e1popeye-sailor.gif

That’s why I wanted to go with the vintage rubber-hose style art style:  Fleischer Studio, Disney, Fallout, and Cuphead meets with a modern twist

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1