★[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Florida Panthers • Dec 14, 2023 • (Roberto Luongo Night ROH Induction)★

Crimson JH

Just now, Vancan said:

At the start of the season I was just hoping for marginal improvements, maybe winning a few more then losing, but being competitive and hard working. Zero expectations for making the playoffs this year. This is surreal to say the least.

I am not surprised at the results the team has been getting.

The problems have been obvious for years... and finally this management group has started to address those problems in a concrete way.

We always had the offensive players, the issue was always adding D who were more highly skilled and bigger... and getting the existing D to play better.

Credit to management, they made the trades and the signings, and they brought in the coaches who could create a change in team mindset.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

I am not surprised at the results the team has been getting.

The problems have been obvious for years... and finally this management group has started to address those problems in a concrete way.

We always had the offensive players, the issue was always adding D who were more highly skilled and bigger... and getting the existing D to play better.

Credit to management, they made the trades and the signings, and they brought in the coaches who could create a change in team mindset.

Also bringing in a more then capable backup goalie to give Demko the rest and less pressure for the playoff run. 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Vancan said:

Also bringing in a more then capable backup goalie to give Demko the rest and less pressure for the playoff run. 

Well, they could have gone with Arturs Silov as the backup and gotten good results, but this management group thinks long term.

They know they have a real star in Silovs, and they want to give him time to develop in Abby like Demko had time to develop on the farm.

And they probably thought Pearson was not going to recover as well... obviously he has recovered, he's played really well, but so has DeSmith... so the trade was a good one.

We needed a backup for a year or two to allow Silovs to develop, and we had the goalscorers and 3rd liners to replace Pearson.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, gizmo2337 said:

Ray wanting to pick the Coilers as the best Canadian team. Seriously?

I told ya when he was hired; he has always hated the Canucks; he's been way better this time, but the old wolf still stinks in musty sheepskin.

(I like Ray but he hates the Nux; so Fhim.

• ThereItIs 1

@stawns - since the GDT is locked, just wanted to comment on a part of your post that's not factually correct:

Also, he went into the HoF as a Panther, soooooo

Technically, players don't go in as a specific team affiliation; he's in there affiliated with all the teams he was signed for (ie. all three NHL teams) and played for (including his jr. teams).  Val-d'Or Foreurs ftw! :towel:

4 minutes ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Well, they could have gone with Arturs Silov as the backup and gotten good results, but this management group thinks long term.

They know they have a real star in Silovs, and they want to give him time to develop in Abby like Demko had time to develop on the farm.

And they probably thought Pearson was not going to recover as well... obviously he has recovered, he's played really well, but so has DeSmith... so the trade was a good one.

We needed a backup for a year or two to allow Silovs to develop, and we had the goalscorers and 3rd liners to replace Pearson.

Its imperative Silovs develops properly and NHL starting goalie ready by the time Demkos contract is up. Do we want to sign a 30+ year old goalie to a long term contract? Probably not, so do what needs to be done and take your time(ish) 

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Impressive man! Hope to see more GDTs from you in the future!

No kidding! I'd pay actual money if you did the GDT's every night.

CanucksFanForum.com Premium+ Subscription. Make it happen!

Anyone who doesn't subscribe gets this artwork instead.

28535-ice_hockey_03.jpg

Edited by Strawbone
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Both games are early too, which isn't good because we don't do good with early games. But yes DeSmith should get one game maybe 2 games this road trip 

Its not a bad thing to play on a back to back is to have a pair of afternoon games and get to other city early rather than red eye flight and sleep on a normal time.  It'll be almost like by the time they play Nashville, it's not 3rd game in 4 night situation even it's technically is, 12 extra hours to rest their legs.   Any win on the weekend is a bonus because they don't do well in any afternoon games in the central time zone historically.   

4 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

Garland would get more goals, and deserve them, if he could shoot.

He could have had a couple tonight, perhaps even a hatty if he could actually shoot.

Garland is kinda funny in his shooting decisions.

He shoots a lot from really cr*p angles... from the goal line or even behind it... or from the wall.

Yet he is reluctant to shoot from positions between the hashmarks, he seems to want to stick handle the puck into the net for a perfect goal.

Look at Boeser, he will shoot, (now not last season) anytime he has the puck between the face off dots... even if there is a lot of traffic... and he gets goals that bounce around or just squeeze through.  Garland could take some instruction from that.

In any case, I think Garland is due for a couple... his line has been playing really well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crimson JH said:

Thanks! lol, here a Timelapse video. I had to hold my phone to record it since during the Timelapse.. The image orientation changed  midway through the video. So I had to manually rotate it, or else you’ll be watching it sideways at the beginning… 😂 

Also, I had to speed it up a bit to conserve the file memory size. Basically, it took me a whole 1st period and intermission to complete the sketch. Halfway through the 2nd, I worked on the graphic editing to put the old paper textures in, resizing the image, and exporting it to a png file. 

All that done, while watching the game, and taking part in commenting on GDT! 😝

That was fun. Perhaps not talked about in the comments today/tonight is the depth of the subject matter in this one for example.

The old goalie, back in his gear, staring up at himself in the Ring of Honour, etc, caused me (anyway) to ponder this for a short while, somewhat like the subject is doing.

• Like 1