★[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Florida Panthers • Dec 14, 2023 • (Roberto Luongo Night ROH Induction)★

Crimson JH

4 minutes ago, Mikeyman109 said:

Last night the first two periods the Canucks were dominate. They sat back in the third trying to preserve the shutout for TD.  

It hard to argue with the success the team is having. They score. They can defend and get great goaltending. The power play seems to be coming alive again after a couple weeks of sleepwalking. If we can get it going as it was to open the season they are a dangerous team and could do some damage in the playoffs. 

Just wondering if someone could get Ray Ferraro a copy of the standings as he obviously missed the first couple weeks of the season.

Garland has been playing some of his best hockey on the third line. He stirs the drink there for sure.

Suter coming back has been a big help,

Soucy coming back will be a great problem to have. Depth at D is never a bad thing. Having three capable pairings means no one has to play 30 minutes a game which should help keep Hughes/Hronek fresh.

Healthy this team can compete with anyone in the league and being able to roll 4 lines on the road will result in keeping the energy levels up. 

Not liking the back to back Matinees but other teams know we havent had success playing early. They schedule it on purpose. Nothing wrong with that we just have to learn to play well in them. Minny and Chicago are two teams we should beat.  Lets go get the wins. Go Canucks Go

At least one of those games is CHI.   Do wonder if Bedard will be awe struck playing against his hero's a little.   Hope so!     At least matinee games, is normal practice time.   MIN is a tough read, like usual.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If we can manage that, might as well add our name to those big clubs after. 

Definitely puts us close to the conversation.  I still feel we're 1-2 major pieces from being legit, but we'll see what the season has in store.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I'm so glad Kuzmenko got another one. He's been working hard and seems to be trying to respond to what Tocc is asking

This year has been strange in a good way. Everything RT has touched has yielded great results 

For example, our hot start. RT preached systems and then we start at historic level productions that makes buy in easier. 

Hogz was struggling so we sit and and work with him and he's playing up to his potential and looks great on the top 6.

Miller has become a premier matchup centre. 

Joshua, Garland Lafferty Suter and Bleuger all look amazing. 

We got away from our systems in Nov but Re-engaged and we just won 4 in a row against good teams. 

I really think Kuz will be the next achievement. The guy has heart, drive, love for the game. I'm looking forward to him becoming a solid 2 way player. I think he had it in him. I mean RT has also turned Brock into a solid 2 way guy. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Mikeyman109 said:

Just wondering if someone could get Ray Ferraro a copy of the standings as he obviously missed the first couple weeks of the season.

Ferraro is not the only one that won't consider the Canucks a contender yet.  And I get it.  I think it was mentioned on Canucks Central yesterday, there hasn't been enough games played yet for some to consider the Canucks a contender, and they're not wrong.  It's not the Canucks fault it's still relatively early in the season (and for some they may wait as long as playoff time).  All the Canucks can do is keep winning and people will come around.

Edited by Wilbur
shortened quote
  • Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Karma-Kazi44 said:

I swear Boeser is the most subtle scorer. He never looks like that sniper. Then you have players like Matthews and my David who are always looking super dangerous and taking shots from all over. Love Boeser. Lovw the way this team is playing! Go Canucks!!!

Brock is like a silent sniper and by the time you notice him, the puck is already in your net. He just goes to the right areas and put the puck home.

• Like 1

Four road games now in a relatively short span We gotta keep our pace up. Championship teams rarely lose their momentum for any significant period of time.

Next three to four weeks will tell all. Looks good though. Kuzmenko starting to ramp it up again.  Miller and Boeser kicking ass all season. 

I think Rick has the option of rolling four lines better that any Canuck teams since 94 & 2011.  Pettersson playing better, especially on the PP.

Zadorov; Great addition...

Yah, hell we are bringing out the ...  open-can.gif ... this season. Keep it up, this could be our time.

32 minutes ago, SV. said:

Definitely puts us close to the conversation.  I still feel we're 1-2 major pieces from being legit, but we'll see what the season has in store.

We have the 2nd leading scorer, 2nd leading goal scorer, point and goal leading defenseman and a top rated goalie AND We're second in the entire league what else do we need to do to demonstrate eliteness??

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Is doubting this team still warranted? The team has successfully fought through its "regression" period and bounced back with a 4-game win streak. 

Wouldn't call this team a contender yet, but I think it's safe to assume we're trending that way. 

I didn't buy the narrative in Nov when some ppl here were saying this is a wild card team and the hot start was an anomoly. @stawns

They ignored the injuries to Soucy and Suter along with the taxing schedule and chalked up our mediocre performance to "other teams have figured us out". 

I think it's pretty evident that missing Soucy was a big part of the problem. When Soucy went down, all of our D were playing over their heads with Hughes and Hronek playing 28m+ per night trying to shield Friedman and Juulsen who were then partnered up with Myers and Cole who arent good enough to carry an AHL calibre defense partner.

We effectively replaced Soucy with Zadorov which stabilized our team again and now we focus back on systems and have been playing really well. 

This is a good team folks. Don't let others fool you. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Moeknows said:

We have the 2nd leading scorer, 2nd leading goal scorer, point and goal leading defenseman and a top rated goalie AND We're second in the entire league what else do we need to do to demonstrate eliteness??

Defensive depth. But Soucy's return and play might put this concern to bed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I didn't buy the narrative in Nov when some ppl here were saying this is a wild card team and the hot start was an anomoly. @stawns

They ignored the injuries to Soucy and Suter along with the taxing schedule and chalked up our mediocre performance to "other teams have figured us out". 

I think it's pretty evident that missing Soucy was a big part of the problem. When Soucy went down, all of our D were playing over their heads with Hughes and Hronek playing 28m+ per night trying to shield Friedman and Juulsen who were then partnered up with Myers and Cole who arent good enough to carry an AHL calibre defense partner.

We effectively replaced Soucy with Zadorov which stabilized our team again and now we focus back on systems and have been playing really well. 

This is a good team folks. Don't let others fool you. 

Agree for the most past, as long we don't shit the bed all the sudden next season. 

Interested to see what roster decisions will be made though. Got a lot of expiring contracts and a handful of prospects and players in Abby chomping at the bit. All that to say, I'm optimistic, Allvin's maneuverings from Beauvillier to Zadorov was master class.

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Moeknows said:

Another top forward (maybe a high-end, two-way C to ease on the defensive duties of Miller and Pettersson - give us something equivalent to Kopitar/Danault/Dubois)
Maybe another RHD, as well. 
It never hurts to add scoring depth, too.

Players like Juulsen, Friedman, PDG, etc. all fill in nicely, but you need quality to compete at the highest level and you need to be prepared for injuries.

Also, we're not 2nd in point percentage.  High up the standings, of course, but only in "2nd" because of GP (for the time being).

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, SV. said:

Another top forward (maybe a high-end, two-way C to ease on the defensive duties of Miller and Pettersson - give us something equivalent to Kopitar/Danault/Dubois)
Maybe another RHD, as well. 
It never hurts to add scoring depth, too.

Players like Juulsen, Friedman, PDG, etc. all fill in nicely, but you need quality to compete at the highest level and you need to be prepared for injuries.

Also, we're not 2nd in point percentage.  High up the standings, of course, but only in "2nd" because of GP (for the time being).

Realistically, I think the Canucks will have to depend on prospects/the farm for that additional depth. i just don't see how Allvin manages the cap with more acquisitions. We're going to feel the OEL buyout pretty soon.  

3 hours ago, Sativika said:

- Our bottom six, especially 3rd line, looked great.

- Having Suter back is a much needed aspect of our success.

- Juulsen is getting better. Perhaps playing himself into a full time roster spot??!?!?!?!???

- The Brockstar rocks on!

- Kuzy's post scoring enthusiasm never disappoints.

All around a triumphant win on Bobby Luuuuuuuuuooooooo induction eve. A short side note; We beat your Panthers. Roberto! (Beating my chest like a Silverback Gorilla!)

Seriously though. watching this eves Luooooo tribute brought back warm memories of that era. There were soooo many involving him. Good and bad; mostly good. Roberto single handedly removed the "Goalie Graveyard," culture infecting our 'Nucks post Captain Kirk. Back to the game..........

The 3rd period. I won't say they sucked. But they did seem to take their foot off the gas. Seemingly just enough to play sound, if you will,  to keep themselves from self destructing like they used to the past few seasons. However, Demmer was a factor of the highest magnitude in the 3rd for sure.

All in all an excellent showing the last few in this home stand. Love it!

Go Canucks Go!!!!!!!

I do not even mind the 3rd period style of play, it helps to conserve their energy but still hard enough to shut things down and keep them to perimeter.  It's a long season and sometimes it's unnecessary to exert their energy trying to score in 3rd period when having the lead and short shifts helps.  

I honestly think this Management team has all the right tools in place. To-date everything they have done has us where we are.

I still worry that Hughes and Hronek will be burnt out come playoffs. I am sure they are the top minute men in the league for defense men. If not second.

2 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Realistically, I think the Canucks will have to depend on prospects/the farm for that additional depth. i just don't see how Allvin manages the cap with more acquisitions. We're going to feel the OEL buyout pretty soon.  

Yeah, it's certainly and definitely wishful, but that's how I interpret the gap between us and the top teams this season.

I've said before that this season is basically the "best" season to mount something because it doesn't get easier after this year with too many key extensions and buyouts coming into play.

2 hours ago, Rekker said:

I remember that. Something about a lot of communication between the two. Nice to see the ole ventern helping out the young player trying to carve out his role. 

Spot on.... The is no I in team... whatever it takes, and it looks like they are all buying into Tocchets plan. Very similar to Schenn here... top notch.

• Like 1