★[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Florida Panthers • Dec 14, 2023 • (Roberto Luongo Night ROH Induction)★

Crimson JH

7 minutes ago, tas said:

it was pretty simple, just a lot of work. figure out point % each year before and after Dec. 20 and do some pretty basic math. the reality is it was horribly unscientific and shouldn't have worked but worked perfectly 2 years in a row. 

Yes especially considering schedules.   Thing is, that team was good enough, to actually not worry about much during the regular season.   You knew we were making playoffs.    This team could also manage that.    And hopefully does. 

Edited by IBatch

39 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

Oh, thank you, I am glad, that my thoughts were correct- I got that feeling looking at your amazing art work for GDT

Actually, if you'd been paying attention, she's actually posted her photos with Burr and (just yesterday) with Bobby Lou on this site. 😉

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

@stawns - since the GDT is locked, just wanted to comment on a part of your post that's not factually correct:

Technically, players don't go in as a specific team affiliation; he's in there affiliated with all the teams he was signed for (ie. all three NHL teams) and played for (including his jr. teams).  Val-d'Or Foreurs ftw! :towel:

Here's his official photo for the HoF.  So, maybe not technically, but I'm sure we can all agree that Luongo sees himself as a Panther first.  It's not a knock on luongo, but I wouldn't want a jersey of a player who doesn't see himself as a Canuck, primarily.

Screenshot_20231215-061718.png

8 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yes Cole has been a great mentor for Juulsen...

Juulsen even himself credits Cole, for guiding him through games... (think the3y said it during commentary a few games ago...)

I remember that. Something about a lot of communication between the two. Nice to see the ole ventern helping out the young player trying to carve out his role. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes.   We had this same trickle effect when Myers first came in.   It's amazing what adding a legit player does to a team.    Myers five years ago > Del Zotto.   Gave us 3 guys to work with the bubble year.    In the last year OEL and Schenn out,  both legit players,  but Hronek >>  OEL (and a RHD),  Cole > Schenn (sorry Schenn, would have like to keep you too!)   Soucy >>> Stillman/ AHL player insert here  ... And then Zadorov >>>> AHL player insert here, and Juulsen > Burroughs.   

Juulsen is found money.    In one calendar year, we've gone from having one legit top four guy, to a top pairing guy, and a pile of 4/5's.   That trickle down effect is way bigger than our bubble season.    

NHL.com was one of the few supporters entering this season, naming us the dark horse in the West.    If the team can keep this going until the All-Star break, feel we will start getting a lot more respect.    We've already got some, getting named Canada's best hope for a cup after our start.    

Soucy coming back is great.    Gives the team another boost.     Nice thing is there isn't a rush anymore.   Juulsen keeps showing the coaching staff and then organization, he's too valuable to send down.    Depth.   Our D depth last season was loaded with 7-8ths.    That also hasn't changed. 

Only issue I have with your assessment is Hronek should probably be >>>> over OEL lol

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

16 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I remember that. Something about a lot of communication between the two. Nice to see the ole ventern helping out the young player trying to carve out his role. 

That's why I wouldn't mind seeing Kessel signed for cheap.  We make fun of him all the time, but he's a proven cup winner too.  Could certainly help mentor guys like Kuz.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

Agreed.  And even though I think they still need to move a fwd for a dman, I would t do it yet 

Felt we were missing 3 pieces to be a championship team.   Acquired one, and the most critical piece.   The next one, a legit middle six C, who can move up when needed and not hurt you much (offensively).   Preferably a big body.   And the last, some truculence in the forward group that's also an upgrade on something.    Somewhat recently, think Lowry a few years ago, and Jeannott type (hard to find).   

Teams close right now, to turning the corner.  Actually feel they have already.    Not into rentals this year, but for sure would be ok with giving them a little more at the cost of some futures too. 

11 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Yep, good solid win.  Hopefully people aren't putting too much stock into the shot totals, although...

image.png.34319a85cd5ea9d72ffb35f927d28c9e.png

Florida was CAR bitch last playoffs on this front.  Look at who came out on top.    Dallas and Vegas had the final, pre-final.   Happens often.     We've got a very tough road and trial by fire this post season.    I'm not betting against us (out of principle).    And also because, like Point said, we have the ingredients. 

Edited by IBatch

All cylinders were firing last night. Luongo presentation was very well done, and good to see the creativity from the organization there.

ROH or Jersey in the rafters debate can go on forever but they did a classy job of honoring Luuuuuuu...

A little sloppy in the 3rd but Florida is a good measuring stick to see how we're doing so super happy with overall effort

We beat Tampa, Tampa beat the Coilers

We beat Florida so hopefully they'll take that loss out on Mcbaby and Co!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think these next couple of games are going to be tough. Home ice advantage, last change, and I think we're probably going to get hosed by the refs. Our d need to play choir boy hockey and stay out of the box. Myer's esp

Plus they're back to back early games.  Our boys like to sleep in lol

• Upvote 1