★[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Florida Panthers • Dec 14, 2023 • (Roberto Luongo Night ROH Induction)★

Crimson JH

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Felt we were missing 3 pieces to be a championship team.   Acquired one, and the most critical piece.   The next one, a legit middle six C, who can move up when needed and not hurt you much (offensively).   Preferably a big body.   And the last, some truculence in the forward group that's also an upgrade on something.    Somewhat recently, think Lowry a few years ago, and Jeannott type (hard to find).   

Teams close right now, to turning the corner.  Actually feel they have already.    Not into rentals this year, but for sure would be ok with giving them a little more at the cost of some futures too. 

If Tampa is on the outside looking in by TDL, wonder if Nick Paul could be had.  He's locked in on a long contract.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Johngould21 said:

After the last two games, I say release the Kuz, let him run with EP for at least a period. Sam doesn't hurt the third or fourth line one bit.

Might happen on this road trip. It’s good we have internal competition for minutes. Kuz will push Lafferty down the lineup. But it’s going to be him taking those minutes and not just being out there. Much like Hogs took PDG’s minutes. Got to be earned. Kuz is close. Any slip in play (production) by Lafferty and Kuz will re-take that spot. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

22 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think these next couple of games are going to be tough. Home ice advantage, last change, and I think we're probably going to get hosed by the refs. Our d need to play choir boy hockey and stay out of the box. Myer's esp

Back to back early games too, good job NHL!

57 minutes ago, stawns said:

Here's his official photo for the HoF.  So, maybe not technically, but I'm sure we can all agree that Luongo sees himself as a Panther first.  It's not a knock on luongo, but I wouldn't want a jersey of a player who doesn't see himself as a Canuck, primarily.

Screenshot_20231215-061718.png

Thing is, they widely acknowledged his most successful and best years was backstopping that great Canucks team.   Who cares what team a player mostly identifies with.   We were lucky to have him.   Does Mogilny identify as a Canuck?  Highly doubt it.   Does Espo identify as a Ranger?   Doubt that too.   There are barely any players anymore that stick to one team.   Even Alfie went to Detroit, to give himself another shot, and Sundin here, and Borque who had two shots at a cup with COL.    Brock, EP, Demko, QHs unlikely will be just Canucks too.    Kane right now.   Perry, Spezza, Thorton, Marleau recently.    Does Sundin go with TO?  Probably.    Perry a Duck.   Tochett was on 3 teams too.    Linden moved around.   Naslund moved around.   Bure too.   It doesn't matter one bit, and shouldn't be a main metric when looking at these guys careers in hindsight.    We lost, Luongo was made to spend 2 hours of his time preparing for and doing media crap in the final (MG own words on Luongo, and they fought the league on that one too).     Guy took the losses hard.  So did we.   Fans that pile on stars aren't my favourite.    We've seen that with EP this year already.   Miller not too long ago.    And still some want to do some Horvat versus Miller stuff.    It's ok to be wrong, when it comes to Luongo, he can identify as a NYI first and it doesn't bother me.

Not his fault or MG, that there was another lockout and we got stuck with his cap penalty.  Players get bought out too.   We just did that with OEL.    Luongo deserves his time in the sun with us, the same way Bure does/did. 

Avoided the GDT because of how it came up again.   This upset/sadness.  Like a scab that just doesn't heal because it keeps getting scratched.    Get that too.  And not trying to single you out.     We are all stakeholders.    It sucked we didn't win a cup for sure.    Sure hope the next time we get there, we aren't as fickle and if things don't go the way we hope, we support the team regardless.   We sure did in 94.     In 2011 we acted like spoiled brats.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Keeping up with Vegas over 1/3 of the way into the season, love it! 

And if we'd beaten Vegas a couple of weeks ago, we'd be tied for the lead - but we have to play them 3 more times, so there's that 

9 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Not really

Panthers were kept outside for the not part.  Zero grade A chances

0 shots on PP

The only doubt was if Demko will get a shutout.  

Yea if you check the ice time Tocc was giving the bottom guys a lot of minutes, it was managed fine.

Edited by Bob Long

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

I would rather Kuz keeps doing what he's doing and learns the systems while playing bottom 6 as well as PP. He can then pull a Hoglander and get promoted once he is a dependable 2 way player. That is best for the team long term

Yes.   And the way things are going right now, you just don't mess with it too much.    Championship teams in the past, two come to mind right away, and they were two of the three best teams for 15 or so years.     NJ - Scott Steven's explained this, a lot of guys (including himself) had to buy into their system and sacrifice individual points,  (Mogilny too later ) to make it work the best.   Steve Yzerman went from one of the deadliest forwards of his era, to a complete player under Bowman, to help his team win 3 cups, the last one, on one  leg  (and a good Conn Smythe candidate in 2002).  

Tochett, Foote and Gonchar, completely understand this.   Won't happen overnight.    This team needs playoff reps.    But I can see that's what they are working on with the players, and the team makeup.   The elephant got gutted, skinned, and they are making regular meals out of it.    Kuzmenko is getting special attention for a reason.    

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I would rather Kuz keeps doing what he's doing and learns the systems while playing bottom 6 as well as PP. He can then pull a Hoglander and get promoted once he is a dependable 2 way player. That is best for the team long term

I think that's the plan. Also nothing wrong with having a 3rd line scoring threat.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I didn't say it was anyones fault, nor do I hold it against Luongo.  But, I would t retire a jersey for anyone who doesn't see himself as a Canuck to his core.

Just my opinion

Gotcha.  I'm also with you on not retiring number one.   Luongo went exactly where he should have.   Retiring numbers is a serious business.   Especially a number one, traditionally reserved for goalies.     

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

I think this was mostly intentional. With a 4-0 lead your mostly safe. With exceptions like the TOR game I know. But if you're playing the right way it should be safe.

What I saw in the 3rd was a lot of unselfish plays. The D stopped pinching, way less forecheck to conserve energy.

Two penalties to kill off.

I think Tocc made it clear that defense takes priority and to slow things down. It was really good for them to just practice playing with the lead. 

Although canucks only put up 2 shots, they still only allowed 11 shots I think the whole period, or at least until there was only 4 min left. Something like that.

Never felt like the 3rd was in doubt.

Every player wanted the game to end 4-0, and not 5-1

Well, practice makes perfect, they say.  We're 16 -0 -0 when leading after 2 periods

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Plus they're back to back early games.  Our boys like to sleep in lol

I would be curious to see what the Canucks record is in afternoon games over the entire franchise.  I feel like it's abysmal, but I could be totally wrong with that gut feeling.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I would be curious to see what the Canucks record is in afternoon games over the entire franchise.  I feel like it's abysmal, but I could be totally wrong with that gut feeling.

Think you're right but hopefully just indigestion! 

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, SV. said:

Very proud of the work that's being done.  Collecting 6/6 from CAR/TBL/FLA in 2023 is very impressive.

Just need to apply that same approach to the West big guys like COL/VGK/LAK going forward.

If we can manage that, might as well add our name to those big clubs after. 

• Cheers 1

Last night the first two periods the Canucks were dominate. They sat back in the third trying to preserve the shutout for TD.  

It hard to argue with the success the team is having. They score. They can defend and get great goaltending. The power play seems to be coming alive again after a couple weeks of sleepwalking. If we can get it going as it was to open the season they are a dangerous team and could do some damage in the playoffs. 

Just wondering if someone could get Ray Ferraro a copy of the standings as he obviously missed the first couple weeks of the season.

Garland has been playing some of his best hockey on the third line. He stirs the drink there for sure.

Suter coming back has been a big help,

Soucy coming back will be a great problem to have. Depth at D is never a bad thing. Having three capable pairings means no one has to play 30 minutes a game which should help keep Hughes/Hronek fresh.

Healthy this team can compete with anyone in the league and being able to roll 4 lines on the road will result in keeping the energy levels up. 

Not liking the back to back Matinees but other teams know we havent had success playing early. They schedule it on purpose. Nothing wrong with that we just have to learn to play well in them. Minny and Chicago are two teams we should beat.  Lets go get the wins. Go Canucks Go

• Upvote 2