★[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Florida Panthers • Dec 14, 2023 • (Roberto Luongo Night ROH Induction)★

Crimson JH

48 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Not to mention that it's nearly unheard of for a team that's been missing the playoffs for years to suddenly jump into the playoffs and be one of the best. A more likely route is for us to lose in round 1 or 2 this year and make a deeper run next year. 

The unheard story line in sports is the greatest!

First time Expansion team Vegas making a run

ST Louis making their run

The rookie goaltender out of no where is a star in the playoffs etc

Lets just enjoy the ride!

Edited by R3aL
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I disagree entirely. That's a big stretch. 

For him to go on LTIR would mean that the Panthers would have to approve that. Why would they give up LTIR space when they know their recapture penalty would be minimal? 

The fault lies with the NHL on that whole contract debacle, full stop. 

To each their own. If Luongo only played for Van until the end I don't think it would have played out the same way. There were simply other options that didn't screw us. It was also on Luongo, his agent, and the Canucks for designing a contract to circumvent (loophole) the cap. If he didn't want to go on LITR he should have honored the contract like he said he would. He didn't. If he cared enough there was an easy way to satisfy both his desires and the Canucks. Full stop.

Like I said though I'm not mad at all it's just how it played out imo. People love being mad at the league and that's fine.

Edited by Gawdzukes

I need an outlet to vent and I wont bring it up again.

I just really think Luongo should have been a jersey retirement.

I am happy he was honoured, and I am happy his name and number will be in the Arena forever.

BUT, a legendary HOF Goalie like him that TRANSFORMED our franchise, was the one and only goalie captain, was a HORSE with games played, crazy numbers, the community work, the amount of shutouts posted, worked through lots of adversity from fans and media, won massive games in our arena from all the greatest moments he referenced..

Olympic gold in our barn! 

This man thrived in an absolute pressure cooker that no other goalie has ever done in the volume of games played.

He didn't want to leave our market either the contract / Schneider and our market really pushed him out the door at the end.

If he is not a jersey retirement then the only way to have one for a goalie in our barn is a Stanley Cup and perhaps that is the standard. But thats rough when that isn't the standard for the rest of the skaters.

I was a huge Luongo fan as he was my favourite goalie in the NHL before we acquired him and appreciated having him for all the years we did.

His speech was very classy and I am grateful he was a Canuck. Wish we gave him the ultimate honour but it is what it is.

The Luis for big saves and Demko shutout was a really nice cherry on top for a very special night nonetheless.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Elliotte Friedman made a good point on this "32 Thoughts" podcast this morning when he talked about Vancouver's win last night. 

"Just enjoy it guys. Don't worry about the cap, playoffs, etc. Just...enjoy it" 

I guess the rest of the league thinks were worry warts...I don't disagree 😅

I would have to agree. I am enjoying it and not stressing rn

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I would have to agree. I am enjoying it and not stressing rn

Yeah, not gonna lie, wanted to step away from CDC for a few days during that .500 slump. All of the sudden the cesspool of people saying this team is done for emerged - reminds me why some players can't stand the scrutiny of a Canadian market - it's ridiculous at times. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Actually the thing is most presidents trophy winners win the Stanley Cup

It’s actually been a thing over the last 20 - 40 years…

But we just have to be super duper banged up in 2011… our roster was decimated by the time we made it to the finals and then we lose Hammy and Rome  and Salo - our forwards didn’t show up at all - Luongo is only human -

he wasn’t Godlike like he was for the first few years in Vancouver…

Obviously with a healthy squad we would’ve taken Boston in five…

They wouldn’t have been let into the series at all…

President = Stanley?

Not really. 8 times in 40 years or since 1985

One obscure aspect I thought contributed to 2011 playoffs was the weather, the heat. And the travel miles the Canucks had in a plane. I think is was like 10 times more time dehydrating in a plane vs Boston's travel. This dehydration is a real thing.

Boston played a real good social media campaign turning everyone against the Canucks. The Canucks were the second team they did that to that year. Whether the league was aware or or even if they cared but that year may never be known but the Bruins played two teams of "cheaters" and "arrogant" players.

Edited by TheGuardian

1 minute ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Yeah, not gonna lie, wanted to step away from CDC for a few days during that .500 slump. All of the sudden the cesspool of people saying this team is done for emerged - reminds me why some players can't stand the scrutiny of a Canadian market - it's ridiculous at times. 

people are emotional! But yes haha we are a roller coaster 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I need an outlet to vent and I wont bring it up again.

I just really think Luongo should have been a jersey retirement.

I am happy he was honoured, and I am happy his name and number will be in the Arena forever.

BUT, a legendary HOF Goalie like him that TRANSFORMED our franchise, was the one and only goalie captain, was a HORSE with games played, crazy numbers, the community work, the amount of shutouts posted, worked through lots of adversity from fans and media, won massive games in our arena from all the greatest moments he referenced..

Olympic gold in our barn! 

This man thrived in an absolute pressure cooker that no other goalie has ever done in the volume of games played.

He didn't want to leave our market either the contract / Schneider and our market really pushed him out the door at the end.

If he is not a jersey retirement then the only way to have one for a goalie in our barn is a Stanley Cup and perhaps that is the standard. But thats rough when that isn't the standard for the rest of the skaters.

I was a huge Luongo fan as he was my favourite goalie in the NHL before we acquired him and appreciated having him for all the years we did.

His speech was very classy and I am grateful he was a Canuck. Wish we gave him the ultimate honour but it is what it is.

The Luis for big saves and Demko shutout was a really nice cherry on top for a very special night nonetheless.

I agree

while retiring #1 could be tricky because of how it is a definite goalie number Roberto was definitely worthy or having more than ring of Honor 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Once Soucy gets back......

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - Myers

Soucy - Cole

Juulsen

That's a solid defense, especially come nasty playoff time. 

I am curious if that is what the pairings will be.

But for sure this will be the first time going into the playoffs I am excited about the size and physicality of our backend.

I will say this for everyone frustrated with Myers at times.

I have never seen him play bad in the playoffs.

He is usually at his best, the refs give him more leash and he plays more physical.

I remember a Peg series he had round 1 and he was an absolute monster. It did end in a injury for him but it reminded me of Elder vs LA round 1.

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

people are emotional! But yes haha we are a roller coaster 

Or just careful. Not wanting to award success without a longer runway. So some feel they have to bring the expectations back down to earth.

Yes they have lots of points BUT ..... context, they played more games ..... outrageous shooting percentages better than twice average ..... level of competition, good teams playing like garbage ...... goal totals inflated by 4 games ......

Ya, emotional. When the heart is removed from the reasoning then those that use the heart think everything is negative.

I am coming around to think this group is pretty good but not as good as their record, getting there, Rutherford/Alvin are making improvements and the players confidence levels appear to be improving or improved, I really think the improved defence Soucy, Zadorov, Cole, Juulsen, Myers have changed much of the expectations. Just a couple more.

Still just not ready to jump on the wagon, just want to be careful. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

I am amazed by all his greasy goals this year. 

He still has the occasional snipe from the soft spot of the ice on the PP but a lot of his goals are coming in tight off rebounds etc. 

Boeser has finally become a complete player. 

The goals he's getting now are the ones that'll continue to go in for him during playoffs. 

Boeser is a big body with a great scoring touch. He's good at outmuscling people with his 220lbs. When he's engaged like this his combination of skills is very dangerous and valuable. That is so key in playoff hockey. Great story!

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

It's funny seeing people trying to rationalize and adjust that this is a good team. The hot start wasn't an anomaly. We were a good team from the get go.

It's like all the Hronek skeptics ... the guy was a good Dman all along before he even got here.

The slump over the past month wasn't the norm. We had injuries and those struggles were bound to occur. Some were too eager to pounce on the negative.

Facing and overcoming adversity early in the season will pay off later in the season.

We're now seeing how good we are when we stay healthy but we're also seeing - although not perfect - that we do have the depth to not fall of a cliff if we do get hurt.

Suter is more of a key piece defensively responsible wise than we thought, also on the PK. Zadorov is feeling more comfortable and Juulsen is growing into his potential.

That was a smart decision by Tocchet to up the ice time of the depth guys. 

Doc, your blanket is so dry I'm worried it's going to spontaneously combust on you. 🤣

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I am curious if that is what the pairings will be.

But for sure this will be the first time going into the playoffs I am excited about the size and physicality of our backend.

I will say this for everyone frustrated with Myers at times.

I have never seen him play bad in the playoffs.

He is usually at his best, the refs give him more leash and he plays more physical.

I remember a Peg series he had round 1 and he was an absolute monster. It did end in a injury for him but it reminded me of Elder vs LA round 1.

Yeah. It's nice to see us building a team for the playoffs instead of a collection of random parts like Benning did and leave it to the coaches to figure out. We definitely have some difference makers now.

I agree on Myers but I'd be worried about untimely penalties too. He played awesome but cost us bigtime too. I guess it all lines up in the world of chaos though. :towel:

It's a great time to be a Canuck! 

• ThereItIs 1