★[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Florida Panthers • Dec 14, 2023 • (Roberto Luongo Night ROH Induction)★

Crimson JH

15 minutes ago, tas said:

it's important to note that prior to the luongo contract, the NHL issued a stern wanting against front loaded contracts that violate the spirit of the rule, if not the letter.

gillis, gilman and luongo's agents (jp barry and gilles lupien if memory serves) knew exactly what they were doing, and playing with fire got them burned. 

The saddest thing is it saved what? $1 million off the cap per season, given what goalies were making at the time. Yes that's why that contract still bugs me because Gillis knew exactly what he was doing.

Obviously fitting for Demko to stand on his head at times and win with a massive 30+ save shutout, and the shot totals look worse than they did on ice. I think Tocchet got our team defence playing really well tonight. We sat back for a lot of the game after the halfway point but I think that's attributable to playing our bottom-6 more than our top guys, and the same on defence. I think Hughes had a quiet 19 minutes tonight which is obviously going to lead to more defending, but we'll take it with a heavy back-to-back coming up. I think we defended well, really didn't give up many A-grade scoring opportunities against one of the league's best offences - it's a big testament to our team defence to shutdown a couple of the league's best forwards.

• ThereItIs 1

Anyone else noticed Juulsen has become real steady now?? he's cut down on stupid mistakes in his own zone..... looks like he's really secured the #6-7 D-man spot ahead of Friedman.... and I'm not sure why Friedman doesn't get to play anymore... he was always involved and rarely made mistakes!!

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The saddest thing is it saved what? $1 million off the cap per season, given what goalies were making at the time. Yes that's why that contract still bugs me because Gillis knew exactly what he was doing.

Gillis thought he could lawyer his way out of it. Unfortunately we now all know NHL is an old boys club where there is no room for legal arguments inside the war room

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Déjà Vu said:

jets #1? i think not , well not atm...right now its canucks sorry bro

I think the Canucks are the best shot too. The Jets do have playoff experience, but the Canucks are younger, and the defense is better, and definitely stronger overall. Button must have a soft spot for the Jets or a soft head.😆

2 hours ago, R3aL said:

I need an outlet to vent and I wont bring it up again.

I just really think Luongo should have been a jersey retirement.

I am happy he was honoured, and I am happy his name and number will be in the Arena forever.

BUT, a legendary HOF Goalie like him that TRANSFORMED our franchise, was the one and only goalie captain, was a HORSE with games played, crazy numbers, the community work, the amount of shutouts posted, worked through lots of adversity from fans and media, won massive games in our arena from all the greatest moments he referenced..

Olympic gold in our barn! 

This man thrived in an absolute pressure cooker that no other goalie has ever done in the volume of games played.

He didn't want to leave our market either the contract / Schneider and our market really pushed him out the door at the end.

If he is not a jersey retirement then the only way to have one for a goalie in our barn is a Stanley Cup and perhaps that is the standard. But thats rough when that isn't the standard for the rest of the skaters.

I was a huge Luongo fan as he was my favourite goalie in the NHL before we acquired him and appreciated having him for all the years we did.

His speech was very classy and I am grateful he was a Canuck. Wish we gave him the ultimate honour but it is what it is.

The Luis for big saves and Demko shutout was a really nice cherry on top for a very special night nonetheless.

I think Lu was just on the borderline of Ring of Honour vs Jersey Retirement. 

I agree ultimately though with RoH being the right choice.

But I will say this....

IF Louie had held the fort for just one of the games he melted down in.  And melted he did.  If he'd done that, and we'd won the Cup, he'd have his jersey retired no question. All because of a few moments on the ice that didn't go the right way.  Life isn't fair, but them's the facts.

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, kilgore said:

But I will say this....

IF Louie had held the fort for just one of the games he melted down in.  And melted he did.  If he'd done that, and we'd won the Cup, he'd have his jersey retired no question. All because of a few moments on the ice that didn't go the right way.  Life isn't fair, but them's the facts.

I would have been ok with a shared jersey retirement with McLean.  Lu's tenure also would have likely ended differently if he'd been able to provide NHL quality goaltending for most of the games in the finals.

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, kilgore said:

But I will say this....

Well we didn’t score at all… if the forwards showed up for any of the games… Luongo was good for 3 out of 7 games…

sure that doesn’t cut it…

he did melt down… 

But the entire team failed to show up… and we were down to an AHL level D-core… Salo Hammy Rome we’re gone… Kes was done - the Sedins were as well - shells… Raymonds back was broken Malhotra was gone 

it was the most painful finals I’ve ever seen… so lop sided 

plus the officiating was so lopsided as well 

They threw the series by tossing Rome out…

They didn’t even call a penalty when Raymonds back was broken.. 

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, steviewonder20 said:

When management first took over, they focused on building up hockey ops to insure alignment of ownership, management, coaches and players. Fans were getting impatient, including me, but there is a reason that Rutherford was inducted into the HHOF as a  ‘builder’. Hiring him may be the best thing FA has done.

FA for prime minister ? Maybe? 

5 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Well we didn’t score at all… if the forwards showed up for any of the games… Luongo was good for 3 out of 7 games…

sure that doesn’t cut it…

he did melt down… 

But the entire team failed to show up… and we were down to an AHL level D-core… Salo Hammy Rome we’re gone… Kes was done - the Sedins were as well - shells… Raymonds back was broken Malhotra was gone 

it was the most painful finals I’ve ever seen… so lop sided 

plus the officiating was so lopsided as well 

They threw the series by tossing Rome out…

They didn’t even call a penalty when Raymonds back was broken.. 

Yup.  All true.

That's why its unfair.  But life ain't fair.

Lu had adversity in the form of a loss of defensive support.  Hamhuis was out. Rome was out. Injuries compounding.  Thanks for reminding me of that egregious attack on Raymond with no consequence.  Yet Rome gets 4 SCF games for a, what was then, a legal hit....just a half second late.

Also....Samuelsson, and Erhoff both injuried.

If the devastating injuries, espeically on defence, hadn't been so severe, that would have directly helped Luongo stop a few more goals. And probably saved his spot in the rafters for his jersey.  Them's the breaks.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Seems so. Keep it going. All the way to, well, you know..

People's heads are exploding with all this structure, winning and positivity.

They're reeling, wandering around confused, like wet blanketed zombies, not knowing what to do with themselves, trying to be negative but it's not working. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

People's heads are exploding with all this structure, winning and positivity.

They're reeling, wandering around confused, like wet blanketed zombies, not knowing what to do with themselves, trying to be negative but it's not working. 

There was a prominent poster that said the rebuild ,retool was going to take up to 8 years. I won’t mention who it is. the Canucks have shown little signs of being a better team than what they were achieving. They’ve had the good pieces. And if you think about it they only moved out 1 piece horvat. It’s simply amazing how JR and PA have turned things around.    8 years. When I read that on the old site it wasn’t worth debating , it was a pretty exaggerated estimate. From what thought a pretty knowledgable poster. 

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Anyone else noticed Juulsen has become real steady now?? he's cut down on stupid mistakes in his own zone..... looks like he's really secured the #6-7 D-man spot ahead of Friedman.... and I'm not sure why Friedman doesn't get to play anymore... he was always involved and rarely made mistakes!!

Yah Juulsen has really grown into his own lately.  I think Friedman has a higher ceiling but cracks have shown in his game in regards to being outmuscled.  Juulsen has shown he can be a reliable shutdown guy at times with Cole

• Cheers 1