★[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Florida Panthers • Dec 14, 2023 • (Roberto Luongo Night ROH Induction)★

Crimson JH

30 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Yup.  All true.

That's why its unfair.  But life ain't fair.

Lu had adversity in the form of a loss of defensive support.  Hamhuis was out. Rome was out. Injuries compounding.  Thanks for reminding me of that egregious attack on Raymond with no consequence.  Yet Rome gets 4 SCF games for a, what was then, a legal hit....just a half second late.

Also....Samuelsson, and Erhoff both injuried.

If the devastating injuries, espeically on defence, hadn't been so severe, that would have directly helped Luongo stop a few more goals. And probably saved his spot in the rafters for his jersey.  Them's the breaks.

yea that’s right I knew I was forgetting two more…

Samuelsson, and Erhoff 

team was a shell of its former self…

And I recall Boston’s team was completely healthy… And Colin Campbell’s conflict of interest- His son playing for Boston at the time…

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Tusk said:

The worst thing about this is other teams do the math too. 

They are not worried about Toronto. Edmonton, the math is still working itself out.

Vancouver is breaking all the math this year.... and likely only this year depending on Peteys contract.... I really hope he waits to deadline to decide like Sedins did.

What I like recently is even with injuries, line demotions on some high cap players, we are still winning. The MATH breaks when you have over 10 million in two players playing on the bottom 6

Funny thing.   COL had a Myers contract too.  And TB had multiple guys getting paid to be in the bottom six for years making a lot of money.  Yes it's a problem.   But not this year.  Doesn't JT Miller lead the pack? 

Really do appreciate what you're saying though.  Cap versus ROI is king.  Similar in any business. 

Edited by IBatch

24 minutes ago, Chon derry said:

There was a prominent poster that said the rebuild ,retool was going to take up to 8 years. I won’t mention who it is. the Canucks have shown little signs of being a better team than what they were achieving. They’ve had the good pieces. And if you think about it they only moved out 1 piece horvat. It’s simply amazing how JR and PA have turned things around.    8 years. When I read that on the old site it wasn’t worth debating , it was a pretty exaggerated estimate. From what thought a pretty knowledgable poster. 

People just got too used to parroting the same negative narratives for far too long.

I was skeptical of new management at first because they weren't aware that their talking points were the same as the previous regime. I was like ... you can't do that to fans and expect them to be on your side. You need to acknowledge how patient the fans HAVE been and back up the talk with action. And that's exactly what they've done. Their execution on reconstructing this team has been remarkable.

THIS is what we needed in a new regime. There's no way we could have accepted another 8 years of waffling and mediocrity.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Ferraro is not the only one that won't consider the Canucks a contender yet.  And I get it.  I think it was mentioned on Canucks Central yesterday, there hasn't been enough games played yet for some to consider the Canucks a contender, and they're not wrong.  It's not the Canucks fault it's still relatively early in the season (and for some they may wait as long as playoff time).  All the Canucks can do is keep winning and people will come around.

I am not really talking about whether he thinks the Canucks are a contender, he needs to reconsider his stance that Edmonton is Canadas best team.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, coolboarder said:

I wouldn't mind a few of matinees because in the playoffs, they might schedule us in a matinee so might as well prepare those routines to be successful.  We have few of those on the schedule, including three home games in matinees.  

Traditionally we have not had a good record in those games. 10 am Vancouver starts or worse sometimes noon games EST mean our boys are getting up at 6 am their time. Regardless we have to be ready for the games. It usually 3 or so a year

42 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Wyatt Arndt is the best in the business

Canucks Army have some pretty decent journalists and if I am not mistaken one of them was recently hired by the Canucks internally - or perhaps that was from another online forum. Anyway, I have read some pretty decent articles from Canucks Army and a few other sites. Like any site or journalistic organization, there are a mixed bag of writers, editors, etc.

However, the gold standard is once a particular journalist, such as our much beloved Drance, garners public ridicule from his own colleagues, then that should pretty much sum up the ball game for said journalist.

Here I go wasting brain cells droning on about a dunce like Drance rather than killing them swilling beer at the local establishment - at least with the latter, I would be getting something out of the exchange.

GO CANUCKS GO!

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Canucks Army have some pretty decent journalists and if I am not mistaken one of them was recently hired by the Canucks internally - or perhaps that was from another online forum. Anyway, I have read some pretty decent articles from Canucks Army and a few other sites. Like any site or journalistic organization, there are a mixed bag of writers, editors, etc.

However, the gold standard is once a particular journalist, such as our much beloved Drance, garners ridicule from his own colleagues, then that should pretty much sum up the ball game for said journalist.

Here I go wasting brain cells droning on about a dunce like Drance rather than killing them swilling beer at the local establishment - at least with the latter, i would be getting something out of the exchange.

GO CANUCKS GO!

Yah I agree Drance is an oddball but I like different opinions just to see all sides.  Like Drance is the best in terms of analyzing analytics so I follow him.  I also like Jeff Paterson cause he finds the most out there stats which are cool.  Not everyone’s cup of tea but they fill a cool niche.  However the one guy who fully embodies his Canucks fandom unlike any other in the media is Wyatt Arndt (the stanchion) which is why I always follow his tweet thread every game.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Elliotte Friedman made a good point on this "32 Thoughts" podcast this morning when he talked about Vancouver's win last night. 

"Just enjoy it guys. Don't worry about the cap, playoffs, etc. Just...enjoy it" 

I guess the rest of the league thinks were worry warts...I don't disagree 😅

This forum is in their heads.  Bwahaahaaa Ha!

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The saddest thing is it saved what? $1 million off the cap per season, given what goalies were making at the time. Yes that's why that contract still bugs me because Gillis knew exactly what he was doing.

it was the only way to cram that team under the cap. i respect that that group left no stone unturned to try to maximize what they could do. yes, it hurt the team long term, but that was the mandate, that was the stage the organization was in at the time: win now. 

Edited by tas

8 hours ago, NHL Tyranny said:

Garbosh;

Blueballs;

Boshland;

Best mashup I can come up with is the Blue Guard line (Bleu Gar D) but I actually prefer the Labour Ready line as suggested by a previous poster. I think the players themselves would appreciate and relate to that a lot more

7 hours ago, Moeknows said:

We have the 2nd leading scorer, 2nd leading goal scorer, point and goal leading defenseman and a top rated goalie AND We're second in the entire league what else do we need to do to demonstrate eliteness??

Full season consistency

• ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

I think he is a panther to the core.  He might value and have great memories of his time in Van, but his heart is in Fla..........I don't really think most people would dispute that.  I certainly don't blame him, it's his home and the place the values the most.

It doesn't matter where his home is now. 

Bure's home is definitely not Vancouver. 

Sedins never won the cup and kinda choked in SCF.  No show in game 7.   

Only 4 HHOF Nux that played significantly long (Messier doesn't count) are Sedins,  Luongo and Bure.   If Bure gets a jersey retirement after wanting out and playing fewer yrs, then Luongo certainly does.  

Doesn't matter now anyway.  Lui accepted ROH and it was a nice memorable ceremony.  His name is on the wall forever until a new rink is built.  

1 hour ago, Steamer4GM said:

We GET to play them 3 more times : )

I was champing at the bit for the last meeting, the team had been on a heater all damn year pretty much and Vegas is the only measuring stick that matters. 

I want the rematch bad. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

It doesn't matter where his home is now. 

Bure's home is definitely not Vancouver. 

Sedins never won the cup and kinda choked in SCF.  No show in game 7.   

Only 4 HHOF Nux that played significantly long (Messier doesn't count) are Sedins,  Luongo and Bure.   If Bure gets a jersey retirement after wanting out and playing fewer yrs, then Luongo certainly does.  

Doesn't matter now anyway.  Lui accepted ROH and it was a nice memorable ceremony.  His name is on the wall forever until a new rink is built.  

I wouldnt have retired Bure's # either

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I wouldnt have retired Bure's # either

I don't agree with Smyl, Naslund.  Linden is borderline.  But since they've already set the bar low, why not Luongo?  At least he consistent. 

This is what happens when a franchise doesn't win in over 50 yrs.  Keep changing jerseys and logo every few decades, retire jerseys, ROH.  All part of the misery of being a Canucks fan.   

• Haha 1