★[PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Florida Panthers • Dec 14, 2023 • (Roberto Luongo Night ROH Induction)★

Crimson JH

20 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I don't agree with Smyl, Naslund.  Linden is borderline.  But since they've already set the bar low, why not Luongo?  At least he consistent. 

This is what happens when a franchise doesn't win in over 50 yrs.  Keep changing jerseys and logo every few decades, retire jerseys, ROH.  All part of the misery of being a Canucks fan.   

I guess we just have different criteria for the honour of having your # retired 

32 minutes ago, Alflives said:

HHOF guys whose best years were with us and are thought of first as a Canuck should have their numbers up. Daniel, Henrik, Pavel, Luongo. That’s it. Rest are ROH. 

jersey retirements are a team honour, league-wide accolades should not weigh as heavily as what the players meant to the organization and fans

12, 16, 19, 10, 22, 33 all represented the same thing for the team, city and province: hope. 

Edited by tas
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Devron said:

Still laughing at that Bob pass, there wasn’t even a Panther on that side of the ice nevermind just passing it to Joshua 🤣

Post game interviewer totally dropped the ball not asking about the neatly wrapped early xmas gift

#opportunitymissed

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Elliotte Friedman made a good point on this "32 Thoughts" podcast this morning when he talked about Vancouver's win last night. 

"Just enjoy it guys. Don't worry about the cap, playoffs, etc. Just...enjoy it" 

I guess the rest of the league thinks were worry warts...I don't disagree 😅

Pretty sure he's directing that at his local media cohorts.

More than half the goofy talking points that get run into the ground around here are just people reposting shit they've heard on 650 etc

• Cheers 1

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised but I'm stunned by Drance's lack of vision.  Like it wasn't even considered that the Canucks horribly underperformed last year and that season was historically unlucky.  That team last year was wound up so tight and it stemmed with Bruce and it permeated the entire locker room.  When you have a coach that is afraid to lose guess what happens? You lose.  You have a coach that's afraid to coach, afraid to try new things. That fear spilt into the team imo.  Tocchet this year is the exact opposite.  He has job security, he has the complete backing of management. He's not afraid to coach or make a mistake.  He knows he has a lot of runway. The team plays so much looser and calm under Tocchet.  It didn't take a lot of vision for me to see the Canucks had this potential. Did Drance really think last years team was an accurate assessment of it's potential? Was it ever a possibility that the Canucks pop off this year? Or is it so shocking?

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised but I'm stunned by Drance's lack of vision.  Like it wasn't even considered that the Canucks horribly underperformed last year and that season was historically unlucky.  That team last year was wound up so tight and it stemmed with Bruce and it permeated the entire locker room.  When you have a coach that is afraid to lose guess what happens? You lose.  You have a coach that's afraid to coach, afraid to try new things. That fear spilt into the team imo.  Tocchet this year is the exact opposite.  He has job security, he has the complete backing of management. He's not afraid to coach or make a mistake.  He knows he has a lot of runway. The team plays so much looser and calm under Tocchet.  It didn't take a lot of vision for me to see the Canucks had this potential. Did Drance really think last years team was an accurate assessment of it's potential? Was it ever a possibility that the Canucks pop off this year? Or is it so shocking?

Shocking. But they dont believe yet so for them its like PTSD come playoffs

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, RJCF96 said:

Brock is like a silent sniper and by the time you notice him, the puck is already in your net. He just goes to the right areas and put the puck home.

100% agree and I love it. Don’t laugh but he kind of reminds me of the way burrows scored with the twins. He’s constantly right at the net this year. He score pretty garbage goals. He’s a much better shot from distance then Burr but def when he’s with it 10’ of the net so dangerous 

3 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

Canucks Army have some pretty decent journalists and if I am not mistaken one of them was recently hired by the Canucks internally - or perhaps that was from another online forum. Anyway, I have read some pretty decent articles from Canucks Army and a few other sites. Like any site or journalistic organization, there are a mixed bag of writers, editors, etc.

However, the gold standard is once a particular journalist, such as our much beloved Drance, garners public ridicule from his own colleagues, then that should pretty much sum up the ball game for said journalist.

Here I go wasting brain cells droning on about a dunce like Drance rather than killing them swilling beer at the local establishment - at least with the latter, I would be getting something out of the exchange.

GO CANUCKS GO!

https://canucksarmy.com/news/vancouver-canucks-hire-chris-faber-as-senior-hockey-writer

Chris Faber from Canucks Army

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steamer4GM said:

Best mashup I can come up with is the Blue Guard line (Bleu Gar D) but I actually prefer the Labour Ready line as suggested by a previous poster. I think the players themselves would appreciate and relate to that a lot more

The Garly BJ line…

on second thought………

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

I don't agree with Smyl, Naslund.  Linden is borderline.  But since they've already set the bar low, why not Luongo?  At least he consistent. 

This is what happens when a franchise doesn't win in over 50 yrs.  Keep changing jerseys and logo every few decades, retire jerseys, ROH.  All part of the misery of being a Canucks fan.   

Linden? Really? Were you a fan back then? I hope you are not serious.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, tas said:

I was champing at the bit for the last meeting, the team had been on a heater all damn year pretty much and Vegas is the only measuring stick that matters. 

I want the rematch bad. 

Same here. Was the first game of a 10 pack I bought after attending the Dallas game and I was so stoked for a great battle that was not to be that night. March 7th circled on the calendar

13 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

The Garly BJ line…

on second thought………

I think this is stratigic to have these guys down the lines. Teams are going to be watching tape of the canucks for playoffs, and even now. 

We need to kind of downplay the skill we have

We have seen what Hogz can do, time to put the dog back in the Kennel. 

I have no doubt KUZ is on a temporary lapse 

Put Josh up with JT n brock just to confuse the fuck out of everyone while they are getting hit and scored on for no reason other than the Canucks are GOOD

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

HHOF guys whose best years were with us and are thought of first as a Canuck should have their numbers up. Daniel, Henrik, Pavel, Luongo. That’s it. Rest are ROH. 

I'm not sure Bure sees himself as a Canuck first.  In my opinion, he wasn't in a Canucks uni long enough to get that honour.

HOnestly, I'd have put Ohlund in that spot over Bure

Edited by stawns

16 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

Linden? Really? Were you a fan back then? I hope you are not serious.

No I wasn't.  I didn't even know they were in SCF.  Found out they lost the finals in Tokyo when they reported it on CNN. Lol.  Then the riots. What a bunch of losers.  

I became a canucks fan during WCE days.  

Edited by Jaimito

4 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

No I wasn't.  I didn't even know they were in SCF.  Found out they lost the finals in Tokyo when they reported it on CNN. Lol.  Then the riots. What a bunch of losers.  

I became a canucks fan during WCE days.  

I dont want to get you banned but.... may THE BIGGESTTCANUCKFANEVER constantly fill your inbox

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I agree. In Edmonton only players who are in the HHOF or WHA HOF have their jerseys retired. That’s how it should be. 

The reason we have guys like Smyl, Linden and Naslund retired is because we’ve had such a bad history over 50+ years. If we had a history like Edmonton we wouldn’t have any room for non hall of famers. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Steamer4GM said:

Pretty sure he's directing that at his local media cohorts.

More than half the goofy talking points that get run into the ground around here are just people reposting shit they've heard on 650 etc

I somehow thought that the Luongo ROH was going to be shown from 6:30 on last night on Sportsnet. Instead watching those two 650 radio guys trying to look cool on TV was excruciating. The NHL bans a hockey player over gambling issues, meanwhile a portion of this show was a guy going over betting odds for the game. Sports radio in Vancouver needs some competition, fast.

Looking at the current lines, I think if we can add a veteran winger to the 3rd line we'd have 4 really strong lines. Ideally I'd bump Lafferty down to that spot but with how well he's been working with Pete and Mikheyev I don't necessarily want to break them up. 

4 hours ago, Chon derry said:

There was a prominent poster that said the rebuild ,retool was going to take up to 8 years. I won’t mention who it is. the Canucks have shown little signs of being a better team than what they were achieving. They’ve had the good pieces. And if you think about it they only moved out 1 piece horvat. It’s simply amazing how JR and PA have turned things around.    8 years. When I read that on the old site it wasn’t worth debating , it was a pretty exaggerated estimate. From what thought a pretty knowledgable poster. 

I don't know if I ever thought 8 years, but I certainly didn't see this! A couple of things fell into place that made a huge difference.....aka Hronek, and Kuzmenko......but, in the end Tochett, has surprised me most. I was mostly undecided, but he had not proven anything, coaching wise.  Well I guess he put that to rest! LOL So much structure! Very positive. I like how he takes players out for walks.  Really impresses me. Not to mention JR and PA's found depth. 

Actually, when you put it down on paper, alot has happened in one year.  Like I said, I never thought it was 8 years, but I was thinking 3/4 years? So, who ever that was, he wasn't the only one that was fooled!