Kirill Kudryavtsev | D

PickleCanuck

9 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Would he get enough ice time in Abby?

Good question actually. I assumed he would, but then realized that even if one of Brisebois/Wolanin is our 8th D the other will still be in Abby along with Hirose and D-Petey on the left side. But Hirose played weirdly few games (did we ever get an explanation on his situation?) and Brisebois' health will be a question mark so it wouldn't take much to make room for Kudryavtsev.

• Thanks 1

Kirill Kudryavtsev
Team: Soo Greyhounds | Age: 20 | Position: Defence | Height: 6’0″ | Weight: 201 lbs | Shoots: Left

In a recent interview with Canucks.com’s Chris Faber, Kirill mentioned that he took a step back from his typical offensive rushes.
“I felt like we had a strong offensive team, so I just decided to stay more in my game and be a two-way defenceman,” said Kudryavtsev. “I still got my points on the power play. I knew I was going to get them there. But I wasn’t really trying to rush and force the puck. I focused on just trying to play less risky and play more for the team because it felt really bad last year when we were trying too much and then didn’t even make the playoffs.”

Interestingly, his attention to the defensive side of the game was evident in our viewings this year, and his confirmation certainly checks out. With his NHL entry-level deal now in place, his game felt much more calculated in his rushes and made a point of maintaining his position. In simplest terms, he trimmed down his game to make it much less complicated. And it’s worked.
What makes Kirill such an intriguing prospect is his toolsy approach. While he’s not elite in any area, he’s extremely capable in all facets of the game: he’s good on the transition, skates well, always has his head up, and can play a solid shutdown game.

His efforts haven’t gone unnoticed either. With 22 votes, Kudryavtsev took home the “Western Conference’s Most Underrated Player” in the 2023-24 OHL Coaches Poll. Although he did not win, he was also the Soo Greyhounds representative for the Red Tilson Trophy, awarded to the OHL’s Most Outstanding Player.

As a 20-year-old, there will be an opportunity to transition to the AHL this fall, and you better believe he’ll push for one. That said, there is a list of skaters piling up on the left side in Abby, and we’re not quite convinced there is room, nor is it the best pathway to play sheltered minutes and potentially be in and out of the lineup.
Of course, we’re not opposed to the idea of him playing in Kalamazoo (ECHL). While the competition may not stack up to those at the American League level, he could see strong minutes against men, with the possibility of moving up if he stands out.
Ultimately, the likely path for Kudryavtsev (assuming he does not make the Abby roster) is to head back for his fourth and final year with the Greyhounds. By all accounts, they should be a strong team for the second year in a row and could push for another run at a Memorial Cup.

Getting stronger both on and off the puck is a cliché often thrown out with transitioning prospects, and that sentiment remains true with Kirill. With a pass-first mentality, his shooting ability could also add some substance. Aside from those small details, the package appears ready for its next challenge.
Ceiling: As a seventh-rounder, the odds are incredibly stacked against him to even sniff the NHL. Yet, at his current trajectory, Kudryavtsev has the potential to develop into a reliable bottom-four defenceman, given his well-rounded skill set. If he can continue to refine his game and maintain his focus on both ends of the ice, we like the odds of him playing meaningful games in Vancouver one day.
Floor: His sound game screams professional hockey player, and if he never fully realizes his true potential, he’ll be providing solid depth as a rotating piece in Abbotsford. With the ability to play in all situations, there’s always going to be a role for him to slot in........

• Like 3

On 7/20/2024 at 2:00 PM, Snoop Hogg said:

Would he get enough ice time in Abby?

The way he plays the game so smartly might make him a favourite of the coaching staff. He plays so responsibly that I'd imagine him gaining trust really quickly. He has this unique blend of puck moving and passing ability, strong stick play in the defensive zone, and his lateral movements towards pucks stands out a lot. Something that I picked out from his play last training camp and the penticton tourney is that Kirill's lateral movement and chasing down pucks in the defensive zone is very very quick which allows him to win 50/50 puck battles at a higher rate than a lot of smaller dman. 

The one thing that might get him is that he isn't a master at anything. So whether he fits on PP2 or PK2 is a mystery. He is a jack of all trades sort of dman  but won't feature as the top headliner. He reminds me a lot of Rasmus Sandin overall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Okay …… it’s a big fall (as in the season of fall) for Kirill, not a fall as in an abrupt decline. I read that three times before it hit me. Was getting pissed at this Dave Hall guy for intimating that this was some kind of set back. Strange how the mind works sometimes!

By Dave Hall;
As the new hockey season approaches, players worldwide are gearing up to prove they have the chops to earn an elevated spot amongst their respective systems’ professional teams. And there’s no better time than training camp to showcase their readiness.
Last year, Vancouver Canucks prospect Josh Bloom made that notable leap out of camp, leaving behind a four-year junior career to get his first taste of professional hockey with the Abbotsford Canucks. Despite his ambition, Bloom’s stint lasted just 14 games. He never cracked the 12-minute mark in any game, averaging a mere 8:49 of ice time while grabbing just a single assist.

By December, Bloom was sent to the ECHL for an opportunity to play more and to develop his offensive game. While he saw increased ice time (15:22 average), his scoring touch didn’t follow suit in the transition. From there, it was back to juniors as an overager for a fifth and final stint. There, he caught fire, producing above a point per game and eventually scoring the Memorial Cup-clinching goal. He now rejoins the Abby Canucks with invaluable past knowledge of what to expect, but no junior option to fall back on.

All this to say that Bloom’s journey shows that while cracking a professional roster is a significant milestone, successfully translating one’s game is another challenge altogether. It also shows that as a 20-year-old, the initial landing spot doesn’t necessarily have to be the be-all and end-all.
This year, Kirill Kudryavtsev finds himself in a similar position. The 2022 seventh-round pick has shown promising development over the past two seasons, contributing solid offensive numbers while hyper-focusing on improving his two-way game. His improvements have been notable and backed by strong defensive metrics, which include upping his plus/minus rating by an impressive 44 points from 2022-23 to 2023-24. By all accounts, he feels ready to jump to professional hockey as a 20-year-old.
On Wednesday, the Soo Greyhounds officially announced their training camp roster, which, as expected, did not include the Russian defender’s name. In addition to the Greyhounds’ late pre-season schedule, there are several reasons why Kudryavtsev won’t be in attendance. With the upcoming YoungStars event, Vancouver’s main camp, followed by Abbotsford’s training camp in early October, it’s safe to say that he has a jam-packed fall schedule ahead of him.

With that, it’s clear that he plans to make a full-time push for the pro-circuit. However, it remains to be seen whether he’ll be successful. Determining where Kudryavtsev will play this season involves considering several factors. Let’s explore his potential landing spots for the upcoming season.
Abbotsford Canucks
The most straightforward option for Kudryavtsev, and probably most popular by fans, is for him to start the season with the Abbotsford Canucks in the AHL. All it takes is a strong training camp to showcase the solid two-way game he’s worked toward over the last few seasons and prove that he’s up to the task. However, this begs the question: Is there room for him in Abbotsford’s lineup?
To put it bluntly, Abbotsford’s defensive lineup is crowded. They only added to that chaos this summer, bringing in a few additional names on AHL contracts to create a competitive environment for training camp. On the left side, where Kudryavtsev would naturally slot in, the team already has several returning players, including Christian Wolanin, Akito Hirose, and Guillaume Brisebois. Additionally, Elias Pettersson (D-Petey) is expected to take on a full-time role after making his AHL debut late last season.

Adding to the mix are two new left-shot defencemen, Joseph Arntsen and Layton Ahac, who signed AHL contracts over the summer. While these players are likely to be more involved in the Kalamazoo scene, there’s always the possibility that a strong camp could push them into the Abbotsford lineup.
Perhaps the most critical element is the experience factor. If Kudryavtsev were to make the team, the Canucks would have two U21 defenders (Kudryavtsev and Pettersson) flanking their left side amid their first full AHL seasons. Not only are they both just 20 years young, but both will be navigating their transitions to the league’s competition levels, size and speed. The AHL is a developmental league, but a second and third pairing highlighted by two unproven rookies isn’t exactly ideal for the team’s overall stability.

Luckily, there’s another professional option within the Canucks’ ranks. Should Kudryavtsev not crack the Abbotsford lineup, the next logical step would be the ECHL’s Kalamazoo Wings. While the ECHL is often viewed with low regard, it’s not without its developmental benefits. Last season, 11 drafted defenders aged 22 or under played 20-plus games in the ECHL, including Nashville Predators 2020 third-round pick Luke Prokop. It’s not necessarily a typical pathway, but it allows younger players to enjoy more minutes while competing at a higher level amongst older players......................

• 3 weeks later...

From today's article in Canucks Army:

On the back end, the pairing of Elias Pettersson and Kirill Kudryavstev has been an early highlight. They played together for most of the first game and appeared to form a strong partnership. Kudryavstev spoke highly of playing alongside Pettersson, saying, “I love playing with him. He’s a big body, so [it’s] easy to play with him. I mean, I’m just enjoying it.”

This duo could be key for the Canucks, as they represent two of the organization’s top defensive prospects outside of Tom Willander. Kudryavstev’s ability to play and look good on his offhand is important, given the crowded left side in Abbotsford. Pettersson, Christian Wolanin, Guillaume Brisebois, and Akito Hirose are all vying for spots, which could leave Kudryavstev on the outside looking in. However, if he can comfortably shift to the right side, it opens up a much clearer path to significant AHL minutes.

Kudryavstev is no stranger to playing on the right, having done so in his first and second years of junior hockey. When asked about his willingness to play on his off side, Kudryavstev responded simply and enthusiastically: “I just don’t care. If I’m playing, whatever, I can play forward or in goal. I just love to play.”

He may have just opened an idea for a new t-shirt with this quote.

Look, the reality is that playing on your off-hand in a prospects tournament and doing so as an inexperienced rookie at the pro level are two separate beasts. With that in mind, we aren’t holding our breath. However, if this is something he proves can be done, it opens the door to a vast window of opportunity with just Christian Felton standing in his way of ice time. Otherwise, it’s off to Kalamazoo or back to Junior.

On 8/28/2024 at 11:53 AM, Zimmyparttwo said:

Okay …… it’s a big fall (as in the season of fall) for Kirill, not a fall as in an abrupt decline. I read that three times before it hit me. Was getting pissed at this Dave Hall guy for intimating that this was some kind of set back. Strange how the mind works sometimes!

Yeah. that made it sound like he had fallen of a cliff or something.  Sounds like the kid is turning into a real player.  Bad Bad Headlines

From Canucks Army recap of 2024 Young Star Classic tournament by Dave Hall:

https://canucksarmy.com/news/blackfish-vancouver-canucks-young-stars-classic-notebook?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Part I. Standout Performers.

Kirill Kudryavtsev was also impressive. He showed off his smooth skating, effective active stick in breaking up rushes, defensive play, and knack for making sharp stretch passes. What was most impressive was that he played – and looked good – on his off-hand the entire event. While doing so at a rookie event and doing so at the AHL level are two different beasts, being able to translate that ability to the AHL level could open up significant opportunities for him. With a crowded left side, the pathway opens up wide with just Christian Felton competing for ice time on the right side in Abbotsford.

• 2 weeks later...

I would keep Kudryavtsev over Forbort at this time. 
we have already two giants in the lineup, we need poised and mobile dman with high IQ. 

i would try this : 

Hughes Desharnais
Soucy Hronek
Kudryavtsev Myers
Juulsen

• 2 weeks later...