Who will be next in line for the Ring of Honour?

Crimson JH

Who will be next in line for the Ring of Honour?   

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be next?

• Alex Edler
    • Ryan Kesler
    • Elias Pettersson
    • Quinn Hughes
    • Brock Boeser
    • Other (suggest in comments)

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Not a bad choice at all.  I have him a small handful of guys tied for around 6th on the waiting list.  Tiger Williams, Richard Brodeur, Gino Odjick and Andre Boudrias as the ones who should have been in for some time.  Cliff Ronning is probably the next guy but Tanti is pretty close.  The main reason I am a little more hesitant with Ronning is that he starts to open the door to Adams and Courtnall and in the same way it used to be that you couldn't say Tony Tanti without also thinking Petri Skriko.

But at the very worst Tanti is in a group with some legitimate ROH contenders like Doug Lidster, Cliff Ronning, Don Lever, etc.  And possibly a sliver above.  Five straight seasons for the Canucks with 39-45 goals, with that 45 having been the team record until Pavel Bure.  Quite worthy of respect and recognition.

I'm actually surprised he doesn't get more recognition in the organization and we don't see him more. 

Given how well our new core guys - Petey, Boeser, Hughes, Miller - have been playing and producing, I've been surprised by just how many points/goals lists Tony Tanti has appeared on each time one of our new guys breaks a record. 

I'd put him ahead of Ronning but definitely in the Skriko wheelhouse. Perhaps ahead of him too. 

I think Tanti gets overlooked more than he should. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I'm actually surprised he doesn't get more recognition in the organization and we don't see him more. 

Given how well our new core guys - Petey, Boeser, Hughes, Miller - have been playing and producing, I've been surprised by just how many points/goals lists Tony Tanti has appeared on each time one of our new guys breaks a record. 

I'd put him ahead of Ronning but definitely in the Skriko wheelhouse. Perhaps ahead of him too. 

I think Tanti gets overlooked more than he should.

Yeah one year he was voted the 6th best RW in the league as a Canuck, another year 7th best.  The only real knock on Tanti (aside from being under 600 games) is he arrived just barely too late for the 1982 run and left a little too early for the 1994 run...so he's sort of stuck in the same spot as the 1970s guys in a mostly forgotten era of Canucks guys without big team success or highlights.  He almost completely overlaps Smyl, Gradin and Snepsts with his time here while having 1982 missing from his resume.

The thing with Ronning for me is that he was a playoff hero for Vancouver before the 1994 run.  His series against LA in 1991 was the best series I have ever seen from any Canuck who wasn't a goalie, including the Kesler Nashville series.  The only comparables I can think of for one player setting the city ablaze (in a good way) are Brodeur in 1982 and Bure's arrival and his 60 goal seasons.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I think the rafters are full enough. Everyone up there, be they retired number guys, or the ROH dudes, pretty much deserve to be up there.

I think we're stretching to figure out the next one. I mean there were so many great Canucks that figured in on contributing exciting, memorable moments; many of them beloved and mentioned in this thread.

I don't discount the accolades they all deserve. Not one bit. But the standouts, the ones that made a difference, the ones that are household names in post 1970 Canuckdom, are already up there.  

If I had to choose a name to place up there though; the only one that seems  the logical choice is Ryan Kesler. Why?

- An original Canuck draft, 23rd overall, a Canuck for a decade,

- bled his heart and gave his soul to this franchise,

- played 2011 Stanley Cup run on pain meds to dumb down a major injury issue,

- a Selke runner up twice and winning it in 2011.

If anyone else is to be placed in the ROH, it's gotta be Kes!

"Nuff said.

On 12/15/2023 at 10:55 AM, 27 Percent said:

Here's the thing with kesler (who is my all time favorite player). 

If he makes the ROH I think Horvat has to make the ROH too based on length of tenure with the Canucks and stats. So if you can live with Bo being in the ROH yes I think kes is in.

As other have said… there’s 0 comparison. Kesler achieved far more than Bo. 

On 12/15/2023 at 11:52 AM, grumpyone said:

I'd be okay with Gino.

I still don't think that Kes, Edler, Bieksa have done enough to warrant it.

Petey, JT, Hughes, and you forgot Demko... their career isn't long enough yet. Mind you if they bring home the cup then all bets are off.

Kesler  is borderline for me. Elder would be a no except this…. 

On 12/15/2023 at 11:58 AM, -AJ- said:

I find it hard to argue Edler wasn't at least as important to this franchise as Ohlund was and Ohlund's in the ROH. Edler's beaten pretty much all of Ohlund's records.

hard to argue that. 

39 minutes ago, Sativika said:

If I had to choose a name to place up there though; the only one that seems  the logical choice is Ryan Kesler. Why?

- An original Canuck draft, 23rd overall, a Canuck for a decade,

- bled his heart and gave his soul to this franchise,

- played 2011 Stanley Cup run on pain meds to dumb down a major injury issue,

- a Selke runner up twice and winning it in 2011.

Kesler had an extremely high peak and was an important part of a run to the Cup but as to the case presented...

- Original Canuck draft pick, 23rd overall...  I would call this completely irrelevant.  All kinds of great Canucks were drafted by the Canucks and then all kinds of great Canucks were acquired by trade, what difference does it really make.  In fact...the first notable memory of Kesler's career is him signing an offer sheet with Philadelphia I think and hamstringing the Canucks to pay him more than market value immediately or lose him.  This was far before he actually became the Ryan Kesler caliber of player that warrants any kind of ROH discussion.

- Bled his heart and gave his soul to the franchise...  He absolutely did not give his soul to the franchise.  Stan Smyl and Trevor Linden gave their soul to the franchise.  Ryan Kesler played very good and very committed hockey for whatever jersey he was wearing, which is highly admirable without question, but his soul was anywhere but with the Canucks at the tail end of his time in Vancouver.  I wouldn't say it was with the Canucks who drafted him when he signed the Flyers' offer sheet either.

- 2011 Cup run playing through pain...  Can't argue that.

- Selke nominations and wins...  Can't argue that this didn't happen either.  But we also have things like the postseason All Star Team for Bertuzzi and Mogilny, we have Gary Smith in the top five for the Hart Trophy and other accolades for other players that are comparable.

Anyway I have Kesler as a guy to definitely think about as a ROH candidate but I would probably have him at about 9th or so on the waiting list.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

Wish we could give Gino one before he passed… he would love that… 

But, yeah it’s either Gino and possibly Kesler next up. 

As for our current generation group (if they stick around longer) I think Brock Boeser will be up there.  If the team win the Cup, I’m sure Petey and Hughes will be up in the rafters. 

On 12/15/2023 at 10:52 AM, grumpyone said:

I'd be okay with Gino.

I still don't think that Kes, Edler, Bieksa have done enough to warrant it.

Petey, JT, Hughes, and you forgot Demko... their career isn't long enough yet. Mind you if they bring home the cup then all bets are off.

Would be very surprised, and disappointed in many ways, if Hughes jersey isn't retired at the end of his career.

I honestly believe he will be the first Canucks captain to raise the cup.

That being said, to be on topic, remove all bias and favoritism and there is 0 question Edler should be next.

Edited by T. Demko

35 minutes ago, Crimson JH said:

Wish we could give Gino one before he passed… he would love that… 

But, yeah it’s either Gino and possibly Kesler next up. 

As for our current generation group (if they stick around longer) I think Brock Boeser will be up there.  If the team win the Cup, I’m sure Petey and Hughes will be up in the rafters. 

If this core wins the cup, QH and EP jersey retired, Miller, BB and Demko to ROH (depending on the contract direction EP could be ROH)

... and if course Tyler Myers to HOF

Edited by T. Demko

6 minutes ago, T. Demko said:

Would be very surprised, and disappointed in many ways, if Hughes jersey isn't retired at the end of his career.

That being said, to be on topic, remove all bias and favoritism and there is 0 question Edler should be next.

Based on the criteria they seem to use it's beyond obvious to me that Edler is next and probably at the first opportunity.  Given the criteria they use for Ohlund and Burrows I think Edler can't be denied.

Hughes may well end up in the rafters but he is early in his career and it seemed like Larry Murphy and Phil Housley were going to stay in one place in the early days and they ended up doing the Mike Sillinger from team to team.  You never know.

25 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Based on the criteria they seem to use it's beyond obvious to me that Edler is next and probably at the first opportunity.  Given the criteria they use for Ohlund and Burrows I think Edler can't be denied.

Hughes may well end up in the rafters but he is early in his career and it seemed like Larry Murphy and Phil Housley were going to stay in one place in the early days and they ended up doing the Mike Sillinger from team to team.  You never know.

Apologies I was too young during the Murphy and Housley Era.  Were they also captains of their team?  Obviously not stating captains cannot be moved, but I don't think Hughes moves anytime soon and easily based off his character.

6 minutes ago, T. Demko said:

Apologies I was too young during the Murphy and Housley Era.  Were they also captains of their team?  Obviously not stating captains cannot be moved, but I don't think Hughes moves anytime soon and easily based off his character.

I don't remember either being a captain but Housley was the franchise player for the Jets when he was there and arguably the Sabres during his time there as well.  Murphy...never stayed in one place long enough to become captain really or if he was there for a little while it was Lemieux's Penguins, Yzerman's Red Wings, etc.

I think Hughes is lined up for a jersey retirement here as well but I've seen a lot of guys who I thought were staying where they were get moved and even bounce around like a pinball from team to team so nothing surprises me really.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I don’t think staying in one place is part of the criteria for retiring the number, Linden and Naslund did moved to another team, but they did return. Bure moved and never returned, and still get his number up there. 

On 12/15/2023 at 12:43 PM, -AJ- said:

Love all those guys, but that would lower the bar way too low.

Lower the bar? Both Tanti and Lever were leaders for this team for quite a few years. No disrespect to Orland K. but 2 decent years and 2 off years and 2 coaching  and our first captain gets him in.

6 minutes ago, Java1 said:

Lower the bar? Both Tanti and Lever were leaders for this team for quite a few years. No disrespect to Orland K. but 2 decent years and 2 off years and 2 coaching  and our first captain gets him in.

I personally wasn't really on board for Kurtenbach getting in, so I'd agree with you there, but I suppose being the first captain (and a decent player too) did it. He's by far the lowest pedigree player in the ROH in terms of on-ice stats. Proponents of his induction would probably cite more than his scoring stats as the reason for his induction.

Just now, MikeyD said:

Controversial opinion: I don't think Edler is good enough to be given such an honor. Mid offensive defenseman shouldn't get in. Guy wasn't even a #2 for most of his career here. 

100% agree. Edler was very good but he’s not in the Luongo level of goodness. Although Lolyongo should have had his number retired. 

5 hours ago, Crimson JH said:

I don’t think staying in one place is part of the criteria for retiring the number, Linden and Naslund did moved to another team, but they did return. Bure moved and never returned, and still get his number up there. 

Sedins, Linden, Smyl are in another territory then Bure and Naslund.  As for Naslund, wasn't a big fan of that retirement, but get it was close enough.   And he didn't return. 

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

100% agree. Edler was very good but he’s not in the Luongo level of goodness. Although Lolyongo should have had his number retired. 

Edler isn't gooder then Mitchell was when around, or gooder then Lanz, McCarthy, Lidster, Babych, Jovo, Ohlund, even Salo.   He's the Dave Andreychuk of Canucks so for that reason, he will get in. 

• Vintage 2

8 hours ago, Crimson JH said:

I don't mean never ever playing for another team.  I mean playing for a long time for one team.  Bure is an exception there and some teams do wackadoo stuff like Jeremy Roenick in Phoenix but generally speaking longevity is a big part of it.

21 hours ago, T. Demko said:

if ohlie is in there you kind of have to, right?

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Sedins, Linden, Smyl are in another territory then Bure and Naslund.  As for Naslund, wasn't a big fan of that retirement, but get it was close enough.   And he didn't return. 

And Harold Snepsts did return.  Honestly I might personally have Snepsts at 5th in line myself for a jersey retirement after Sedins, Linden and Smyl.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Upvote 1