Who will be next in line for the Ring of Honour?

Crimson JH

Who will be next in line for the Ring of Honour?   

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be next?

• Alex Edler
    • Ryan Kesler
    • Elias Pettersson
    • Quinn Hughes
    • Brock Boeser
    • Other (suggest in comments)

1 minute ago, DeltaSwede said:

Let's keep the bar to entry high. 

Just picking off any good player who's spent 7-8 years with the franchise isn't high enough in my mind. 

Agreed. Kesler played 10 years for the Canucks and I'm not sure if he merits it. Edler's 15 years are an easy choice though.

• Like 1

It's gotta be Edler, right? 925 games and 15 seasons for the Canucks. 9 consecutive seasons averaging over 23 minutes per game. 1st in all the scoring categories (soon to be 2nd to Hughes) for defencemen. And he was a big part of some very good teams. 82 playoff games played for Vancouver at over 23/minutes per game (3 overtime game winners in that span). 

As an aside: When looking up these figures I found that Quinn Hughes in 10th in all-time Canucks playoff scoring (defensemen). Kinda wild considering he has only been in the playoffs once. He's 3 points back of Ehrhoff, Jovo, and Bown who are all tied.

Edler has the 4th most games played as a Canuck so he seems like a lock to make it.

Given some of the other players in the ring, I could see Kesler getting in first, but he's not a guarantee.

If Pettersson and Hughes stay Canucks for most of their careers, there's a good chance they have their jerseys retired. Boeser and Demko probably ring of honour candidates if they stay long term. Maybe Miller, but I think it would require a trip to the finals to secure those latter three.

Edited by Master Mind

17 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I think they'll probably retire number .08 in Alf's honor....

More like .32, easily 4x the legal limit.

On topic, Edler will likely be the next RoH, but if someone should get serious consideration, it's Tony Tanti.

I personally think it will be quiet now until this core starts retiring. If theres too many it takes away from the specialness 

From this core I could see JT Miller, Pettersson and if Demkos numbers get within reach of Lou then him as well

I think Hughes will have his jersey retired

1 hour ago, Devron said:

I don’t think any past Canucks deserve to be. Edler if I had to pick but I don’t think it should be anyone until either Hughes or Petey but they might have a retired number at the end of it 

I agree. I don't want it to become like giving out "participation ribbons" to everybody. 

It is a ROH after all, not a "Ring Of You Were A Good Player And We Liked You A Lot"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

No to Horvat, Kes, Burr, and unfortunately Bieksa.  
Were they great and we loved them?  Absolutely, but the ring of honour means nothing if everyone over 5 seasons gets in.    
They should have a wall of honour somewhere in the rink   

What are you talking about? Burr is already in the RoH, has been since 2019.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, 27 Percent said:

Here's the thing with kesler (who is my all time favorite player). 

If he makes the ROH I think Horvat has to make the ROH too based on length of tenure with the Canucks and stats. So if you can live with Bo being in the ROH yes I think kes is in.

Kesler won the Selke trophy and went to the Stanley Cup final.  Kesler and Horvat aren't even comparable.   

23 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

No to Horvat, Kes, Burr, and unfortunately Bieksa.  
Were they great and we loved them?  Absolutely, but the ring of honour means nothing if everyone over 5 seasons gets in.    
They should have a wall of honour somewhere in the rink   

Generally agree, except with Burr, who's already in the ROH. Burr played 12 seasons in Vancouver and scored arguably the biggest goal in franchise history so far, so I think it's merited.

Horvat played 9 years and Juice and Kes both played 10 years. I think the two extra years for Burr as well as his legendary clutch goals gives him the edge. Kesler is probably the next best option at 10 years and a Selke trophy, but you've got to have a cut off somewhere and I think I'd keep Kes out.

I think the lower bar of the ROH is guys like Burrows, Gradin, and Snepsts. Gradin played only eight seasons in Vancouver, but was one of our top forwards for almost that entire time. Snepsts was basically Burrows, but on D and Snepsts played 11 years with the Canucks.

I wouldn't be mad if I saw Edler, but it would feel even more like they are just picking names to make special nights and up the ticket sales. I think we are good until someone new earns it without a doubt. 

Both Petey and Hughes if they stay long enough and don't end up having higher honors. 

6 minutes ago, canucklehead53 said:

I wouldn't be mad if I saw Edler, but it would feel even more like they are just picking names to make special nights and up the ticket sales. I think we are good until someone new earns it without a doubt. 

Both Petey and Hughes if they stay long enough and don't end up having higher honors. 

Edler has earned it without a doubt.  Incredibly long tenure with a high level of play, similar to Ohlund, who's already there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Generally agree, except with Burr, who's already in the ROH. Burr played 12 seasons in Vancouver and scored arguably the biggest goal in franchise history so far, so I think it's merited.

Horvat played 9 years and Juice and Kes both played 10 years. I think the two extra years for Burr as well as his legendary clutch goals gives him the edge. Kesler is probably the next best option at 10 years and a Selke trophy, but you've got to have a cut off somewhere and I think I'd keep Kes out.

I think the lower bar of the ROH is guys like Burrows, Gradin, and Snepsts. Gradin played only eight seasons in Vancouver, but was one of our top forwards for almost that entire time. Snepsts was basically Burrows, but on D and Snepsts played 11 years with the Canucks.

Gradin retired as the career Canucks scoring leader in pretty much everything before Smyl passed him and not by much.  His 86 points in a season was also the Canucks record before Smyl's 88 and then Patrik Sundstrom's 91 or 93 or whatever it was.

I wouldn't say Snepsts was basically Burrows.  I would be more inclined to say he was closer to Linden.  He was the face of the franchise for years and years, represented the Canucks at all star games, was also the Canucks' career leader in games played.

The general cutoff for the ROH in practice isn't really measured in seasons it seems but more like the 700 game mark.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1