Who will be next in line for the Ring of Honour?

Crimson JH

Who will be next in line for the Ring of Honour?   

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be next?

• Alex Edler
    • Ryan Kesler
    • Elias Pettersson
    • Quinn Hughes
    • Brock Boeser
    • Other (suggest in comments)

2 hours ago, LaBamba said:

We need to pace ourselves. You think Edler would make an original 6 team’s ROH? 

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

What about Ohlund? 

Honestly neither would fare all too well by that standard.  They are two guys who get in by being well above average defensemen and for being at or near the top for career games on the blueline...but on a team with no 1000 game defensemen.  Edler especially is in almost entirely for longevity...which is fine with me but the original six boast all kinds of very good and great players - better players arguably and in some cases certainly - who wouldn't really get that sort of consideration for their tenure or achievements.  Ron Greschner, Barry Beck, JC Tremblay, Ian Turnbull, Bob Murray, Petr Svoboda, James Patrick, Reed Larson, etc.  And that's just quickly off the top of my head for defensemen.

The names I said are overlooked are more in the Pavel Bure category with a shorter stay mostly but who captured the heart of the city.  Boudrias is more a case of historical respect like Kurtenbach.  But at one time the keys to the city and the hearts of its residents belonged to King Richard, Tiger Williams and Gino Odjick.  Cliff Ronning also falls into this category but I'm just slightly more hesitant to include him because he potentially opens the door to other players in a way that the other three don't.

There was talk that when he was president, Pat Quinn wanted to straight up retire Tiger Williams' jersey and raise it to the rafters with Smyl.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

Meh. What exactly are we rewarding Ohlund for? His era was by far the most disappointing in Canuck history. We had the talent to do so much better. 

Well, I'll grant you that you're at least consistent between Ohlund and Edler.

3 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

I'm going with Kesler because he's the only one officially retired. And, I hate to go back to 2011, but he went beast mode till he hit that rut and screwed his hip up.

He had that one great series but the best series I have seen from any Canuck forward or defenseman was Cliff Ronning against the Kings in 1991 where he was the best player on either team including Gretzky.

Kesler's Nashville series goes into the mix and works in his favor for sure but he's not alone with that sort of achievement while sitting on the outside of the ROH.

6 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

He had that one great series but the best series I have seen from any Canuck forward or defenseman was Cliff Ronning against the Kings in 1991 where he was the best player on either team including Gretzky.

Kesler's Nashville series goes into the mix and works in his favor for sure but he's not alone with that sort of achievement while sitting on the outside of the ROH.

I was too young to remember Ronning doing that. But yeah, I would be on board with him getting in the ROH

3 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

I was too young to remember Ronning doing that. But yeah, I would be on board with him getting in the ROH

Guy arrived in that trade from St. Louis and set the city on fire.  Six goals and three assists in six games as the Canucks lost the series 4-2 to Gretzky and friends.  I would have to say that after all these years he is the most exciting player I have ever seen in a Vancouver uniform other than Bure.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

7 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

He might have had an unlikeable personality at times (Kesler) to be point of extreme arrogance but one could never question his work ethic.  In fact, I wished he actually dailed it down a few notches during the home stretch of the regular season.  He didn't have an 'off switch'.  Always went all out (much in the way Linden did) to the point he sometimes ran out of gas in the post-season.  I think we might've seen more from him than that the Pred series had he done this.  But its tough for me to knock a guy that didn't take a shift off even if the game didn't mean much (playoff spot wrapped up) at the time.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

51 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Guy arrived in that trade from St. Louis and set the city on fire.  Six goals and three assists in six games as the Canucks lost the series 4-2 to Gretzky and friends.  I would have to say that after all these years he is the most exciting player I have ever seen in a Vancouver uniform other than Bure.

Yeah, I'm on board. But I was born in '87, so I kinda missed out on some things.

• Vintage 1

article_90efe9c4-a493-4ac0-a306-47a4b1a1

The ROH should naturally be bigger than the number of jerseys hanging.  I say expand it further. They don't have to each take up so much real estate around the stadium.  The ROH should have room for most all of the suggestions in this thread. Why not? Its whomever made a notable impact while playing here. For any reason, that's why you include Gino as well.  The ROH could be any player that represents memorable and entertaining moments in fans lives.

Jersey retirement is a whole other level, and stricter conditions.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

article_90efe9c4-a493-4ac0-a306-47a4b1a1

The ROH should naturally be bigger than the number of jerseys hanging.  I say expand it further. They don't have to each take up so much real estate around the stadium.  The ROH should have room for most all of the suggestions in this thread. Why not? Its whomever made a notable impact while playing here. For any reason, that's why you include Gino as well.  The ROH could be any player that represents memorable and entertaining moments in fans lives.

Jersey retirement is a whole other level, and stricter conditions.

I've been on the Gino and Tiger Williams train for a long time.  The old school NHL enforcer doesn't exist anymore and never will again.  The Canucks were arguably the greatest enforcer team in the league and these two guys both captured the city in a way very few players ever do.  Setting aside the fact that Tiger is by far the NHL record holder in career penalty minutes, he was also an All Star and a 35 goal scorer for the Canucks.  Anyway...these guys are an extinct breed and should be honored.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

0000502933.jpg?v=1648397357

Not a bad choice at all.  I have him a small handful of guys tied for around 6th on the waiting list.  Tiger Williams, Richard Brodeur, Gino Odjick and Andre Boudrias as the ones who should have been in for some time.  Cliff Ronning is probably the next guy but Tanti is pretty close.  The main reason I am a little more hesitant with Ronning is that he starts to open the door to Adams and Courtnall and in the same way it used to be that you couldn't say Tony Tanti without also thinking Petri Skriko.

But at the very worst Tanti is in a group with some legitimate ROH contenders like Doug Lidster, Cliff Ronning, Don Lever, etc.  And possibly a sliver above.  Five straight seasons for the Canucks with 39-45 goals, with that 45 having been the team record until Pavel Bure.  Quite worthy of respect and recognition.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 2

On 12/15/2023 at 12:55 PM, 27 Percent said:

Here's the thing with kesler (who is my all time favorite player). 

If he makes the ROH I think Horvat has to make the ROH too based on length of tenure with the Canucks and stats. So if you can live with Bo being in the ROH yes I think kes is in.

Horvat didn't play anything like Kesler.   He'd run away and hide before dropping them with the likes of Iginla.  Kesler was one of the better players in the league over a two year period, stick him with anyone, and he'd play against the best of the best and outperform them on a regular basis.    Kesler won't get in.   Not without a makeup session first.   Bieksa and Eagle next from that group of guys. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, IBatch said:

Horvat didn't play anything like Kesler.   He'd run away and hide before dropping them with the likes of Iginla.  Kesler was one of the better players in the league over a two year period, stick him with anyone, and he'd play against the best of the best and outperform them on a regular basis.    

Yes by far deserves to be in over Bo. Bo never made anything close to the kind of physical play Kes did. 

• Upvote 1