[Trade] Canucks trade Jack Studnicka to Sharks for 2024 6th round pick and Nick Cicek

1 hour ago, Lemon Face said:

Coin has 2 sides.Drafting and trading.Sadly trading side is painful

And the trading side was primarily a product of being a rebuilder with a "stay competitive" mandate on the table from ownership. Paying too much, too many years, signing guys they arguably shouldn't sign... that is if your goal is to maximize every asset and open a window for contention arguably faster and for longer (in theory) like a "rebuilding team" is supposed to do. But that's the risk.

I see most the moves from the regime  being a product of circumstance more than anything else tbh. Few were ever meant to be long term pieces. Some were reclamation projects and the hope they would become long term pieces to build with, and none really panned out there...but oh well.  Either way most the veteran signings were there to ice a product to sell at that moment in time more than anything. And the market dictates you're paying  more to get a guy to play for a losing rebuilder. Even Kyle Burroughs, a  7th/8th calibre dman (on a good team) got himself a 3 year deal in San Jose. Stuff comes with the territory.

5 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I was actually thinking earlier today that it had been 2 weeks since PA made a trade and with trade freeze coming he was probably going to do something. 
‘He must hate the day after the trade deadline. What does he do🤷‍♀️

Polish's the coconut 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, conquestofbaguettes said:

And the trading side was primarily a product of being a rebuilder with a "stay competitive" mandate on the table from ownership. Paying too much, too many years, signing guys they arguably shouldn't sign... that is if your goal is to maximize every asset and open a window for contention arguably faster and for longer (in theory) like a "rebuilding team" is supposed to do. But that's the risk.

I see most the moves from the regime  being a product of circumstance more than anything else tbh. Few were ever meant to be long term pieces. Some were reclamation projects and the hope they would become long term pieces to build with, and none really panned out there...but oh well.  Either way most the veteran signings were there to ice a product to sell at that moment in time more than anything. And the market dictates you're paying  more to get a guy to play for a losing rebuilder. Even Kyle Burroughs, a  7th/8th calibre dman (on a good team) got himself a 3 year deal in San Jose. Stuff comes with the territory.

Good thing for new regime is wish to be proactive.They dont wait trade-line.Second i think Aqua man has no say in what they doing.Benning went over his head to please owner.Pushed for result hence reckless.I dont hate Benning tbh,just enjoy new fresh approach and of course result.

31 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

Good thing for new regime is wish to be proactive.They dont wait trade-line.Second i think Aqua man has no say in what they doing.Benning went over his head to please owner.Pushed for result hence reckless.I dont hate Benning tbh,just enjoy new fresh approach and of course result.

I'm with you in that I think Aqua has taken a step back from dictating. Rutherford knows what to do and how to do it... in the league for over 5 decades in every position imaginable, won multiple cups, and frankly too old for bullshit.

I have a bit of a different take when it comes to the previous regime as to what happened and why everything happened the way it did, but we don't need to get into that here.  There's a whole other thread I started for that fun stuff.lol

But I'm with you. I really like Rutherford and Alvin and the rest of the management staff... and coaching staff for that matter.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I do have to admit one thing with this management team. It's not boring in terms of the number of trades we get to see.

I heard recently that of all the trades that have been made over the past 2 years the Canucks have been involved in over 50% of them.

Trader Jim. Pens fans weren't kidding!

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Or with others down the road, like TDL. 

If the pace of winning continues there’s no reason not to make a push by acquisition at the TDL or just before it. 

I like that management is thinking, potentially, a step or two ahead and potentially positioning themselves for some real talent acquisition. 

Ya, if you listen to ex GMs they often say that trades sometimes take a couple months and a number of conversations to percolate.

Thinking this saves money in the minors ($750,000 vs $80,000) not to mention adds size and youth on the backend.  I was wondering if this is to free up someone in Abby to come up to the big leagues with a small salary, but then I was looking at Cicek's +/- in the minors which is atrocious.....so it's an interesting move nonetheless.  Perhaps this is more about giving a player a chance elsewhere, shedding some money in the minors and getting a pick than it is about getting a prospect that they can shape into an NHL role one day.

6 hours ago, conquestofbaguettes said:

Too true. Benning's core lighting up the league really takes our breath away doesn't it.

Too bad Bennings name isnt gonna be in the cup when Rutherford Allvin's team wins it all

Keep crying all you want Benning fanboy, nobody is gonna remember Jimbos name the next 5 - 10 years other than the poor idiots that have a benning poster in their bedroom