★[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Minnesota Wild • Dec 16, 2023 • Too early edition

Jaimito

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Looks like today's game is unclaimed.  

Just win baby. Keep the pt streak going.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/setting-the-table-for-canucks-weekend-of-back-to-back-brunch-matches

Set the Table for Canucks’ Weekend of Back-to-Back Brunch Matches

Miller vs Wild 2

By

Chris Faber

December 15, 2023

The Vancouver Canucks travel east today for arguably the strangest weekend of games that we will see all season.

On Saturday, at 11:00 am PT, the Canucks will play the Minnesota Wild and then they will follow it up at 12:00 pm PT on Sunday against the Chicago Blackhawks.

Don’t forget that the game times are whacky this weekend. We’ve got some brunch games this weekend and it makes for a great excuse to take full advantage of your time off on the weekend.

Or I guess you could finish up/begin your holiday shopping.

The Canucks and Wild played last week and the Canucks came out on top with a 2-0 shutout win. It was Casey DeSmith in net for his first shutout as a Canuck while Nils Höglander opened the scoring in the first period and Teddy Blueger gave some insurance with his goal in the third period.

Since their 2-0 loss to the Canucks, the Wild have gone 2-1-0 and their young forward Matt Boldy has been a big reason why they’ve been able to pick up a pair of wins over their last three. Boldy has three goals over that three-game span and has been on the ice for four goals scored and only one against.

Quick Hits on the Competition (Wild):

Wild captain Jared Spurgeon missed Thursday night’s game against the Calgary Flames and is now listed as day-to-day ahead of Saturday’s game.

The leading minute-muncher, Jonas Brodin played in the game against the Canucks last week but has since been injured and will be out of the Wild’s lineup for a significant amount of time.

With the injuries to the backend, you can expect to see Brock Faber eat up a lot of minutes. The 21-year-old Faber player 30:08 in the Wild’s last game.

Joel Eriksson Ek (14) and Marco Rossi (10) are the two Wild players with double-digits for goals this season.

The Wild are 11-12-4 on the season but are 6-2-0 since making a coaching change and bringing in John Hynes as their bench boss.

Filip Gustavsson has started 17 games this season while Marc-Andre Fleury has started 10. Both goalies have had their struggles this season but Gustavsson has had a handful of strong performances, including two shutouts on the year.

The Canucks wrapped up their five-game homestand on a four-game winning streak.

We saw Brock Boeser lead the way with five goals and eight points over the homestand. Boeser sits second in the league with 22 goals on the season. He only trails Auston Matthews and his 23 goals.

Andrei Kuzmenko is starting to find his scoring touch once again. Kuzmenko had 13 individual scoring chances over the homestand and has opened the scoring in each of the last two games.

It’s more than likely that we get a look at both Casey DeSmith and Thatcher Demko over the weekend. The duo has allowed a total of four goals over the last four games and now has combined for four shutouts on the season.

Demko’s save percentage is up to .923% and he now leads the league with 15 wins on the season.

Quinn Hughes still maintains the league lead in points and goals from a defenceman.

And a quick little stat for the numbers crowd out there; Conor Garland is in the top-30 of the league for control of expected goals (xGF%). He leads the Canucks with a 59.29% xGF%. To simplify, when Garland is on the ice, he and his linemates are controlling a ton of the scoring chances that are taking place and we saw those advanced stats come to fruition on Thursday night against the Panthers as Garland was on the ice for three Canucks goals at even strength and zero goals against.

This preview will wrap up with another reminder about those game times on the weekend.

Saturday against Brock Faber and the Wild is an 11:00 am PT start time.

Sunday against Connor Bedard and the Blackhawks is a 12:00 pm (noon) PT start time.

The games can be watched on Sportsnet and Brendan Batchelor will have the radio call for you on Sportsnet 650.

One last time... 11:00 am on Saturday and noon on Sunday!

Hands down, this is one of the GDT threads this year! 🤪😁

Hope players speak out about the lousy scheduling the NHL creates,.

This weekend is a mess for us.

Bettman should be made to travel with teams when this happens,  he clearly does not qualify as an athlete in this sport and has no idea the mental and physical stress on a body to perform, needs proper rest or risk serious injury,.   Daly is numb, should know better, but dosent care.

There are better minds in x players with managing roles who would contribute more to the welfare of this sport,  if they were in the positions those 2 hold.

time to change the regime.

I don’t follow the German Hockey League DEL. If I was my local team would be Bremerhaven where Jake Virtanen is currently playing. Haha. He scored a beauty today. But living here I am more into football. Hockey for me is closely related to my time I spent in Vancouver. 

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Bettman should be made to travel with teams when this happens,  he clearly does not qualify as an athlete in this sport and has no idea the mental and physical stress on a body to perform, needs proper rest or risk serious injury,.   Daly is numb, should know better, but dosent care.

There are better minds in x players with managing roles who would contribute more to the welfare of this sport,  if they were in the positions those 2 hold.

Long overdue.  Also one week off in late January as a part of mandatory break between NHLPA and NHL should be scrapped and go back to 5 on 5 all-star game.  Also one game in next 10 days after December 23 game is also a part of schedule issues that NHL needs to figure out to reduce schedule like this.   I personally think that the schedule maker could done better, double check everything rather than creating by the computer to make some fill in a gap adjustments.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Bettman doesn't make the schedule. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

My Twitter is not embeding since yesterday. Some other folks I've talked to have the same problem. ?

People having trouble yesterday

17 hours ago, BlueJays said:

I don’t know where to ask this so since this post is low effort, could anyone explain to me how to embed posts on this forum? I can’t figure it out. 

16 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

On the X post there's a …

Right click on that and select embed post. You then grab the entire URL and then copy that and paste it into these handy little areas and it automatically displays the X post. 

15 hours ago, BlueJays said:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">San Jose Sharks acquire Jack Studnicka from Vancouver Canucks<a href="https://t.co/O1hyqBBQqA">https://t.co/O1hyqBBQqA</a></p>&mdash; Zubair (@Zubair755049642) <a href="https://twitter.com/Zubair755049642/status/1735830785809138078?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 16, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

this is what happens when I try this

15 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

Just copy/paste the post's web address (twitter.com/Zubair etc...)

15 hours ago, BlueJays said:

Awesome, thank you!! 

How to predict a score ......

VCR goals per game is 3.83, MIN is 3.04 ... suggests a 4-3 Canucks score 

GAA: VCR 2.46, MIN 3.26 projects to maybe a 3-2 Canucks win

PIM's:  VAN 9.36, MIN 11.35, ---->

VAN PP @ 26.7%, MIN PK @ 17.2%, so 2 VCR powerplay goals, projects a 5-2 Canucks win 

MIN PP @ 17.2%,  VCR PK @ 76.6%, so 1 VCR shorthanded goal

Final projection: 6 -2 Vancouver win

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Two sub-.500 teams we should really be able to beat and in perfect order, but we didn't play too great during the last few games despite the wins. Got a real chance to catch Vegas here and build some ground. Can easily get 4/4 points in 48 hours if we even vaguely apply ourselves. Can't rely on a 30+ save shutout every night.

We don't usually perform well in b2bs until recently so here's hoping the last game management leads to fresh legs.

3-1 Canucks

What a time to start the game !!!!  just to have a game on for the few watching CBC Toronto and sell more commercials spots.   This makes no sense for fans eithr here or in Mini and no doubt will result in 80-90% less viewers by fans of both teams.

I'm going to PVR this game because I hate drinking Johny walker right after morning coffee and keep away from Radio and TV untill then.  

Enjoy the game folks.......hope they chalk-up another win!

2 minutes ago, John.Tallhouse said:

Oh you’re from over seas nice! I thought your username meant you were a female fan. 

jk

True story .. (and for context, I am Scottish)

Was in a job interview in Toronto, and asked a question about staff shortages.  I said "We could hire some University grads for summer"

Shocked silence

VP:  "We don't use that sexist term around here"

Me:  "huh?"

(I did get the job)

• Cheers 1