[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild // December 16, 2023

Rubik

I was glad to get a point; the team fought the puck all game. They looked out of sorts from the start, running into each other, stumbling and bumbling, with very few clean passes made or received; they even fought the puck on the S/O, not a clean chance in the three. These stupid morning games east of the PST zone completely handcuff the visiting team. It's not like playing on the road isn't hard enough; let's disrupt your entire pre-game schedule by making you play at a time before you have breakfast at home. Utterly stupid! And Gawd does Minni play an terrible, boring style of hockey, clutch, grab, hook, hold, 1-4, looked like the old Lemaire Devils with less talent. Thank goodness Desmith was sharp, I'd have been angry if I'd wasted all that time watching awful hockey not to get at least a point.

4 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I think he’d be a better fit in Chicago tbh. He’s a top 6 forward and I’m not sure he’ll crack the top 6 here. We know he has some skill. He could really pad his stats playing with Bedard. 

Based on Tocchet's comments, Garland will never be a top-six player on this team as long as JT and Petey are the top two centers. Garland drives play on his line, he's more of a playmaker than a shooter, and Tocchet has said that on their lines the puck has to be on Petey and JT's sticks most of the time. Those guys need finishers more than playmakers.

Edited by Canuckleheads Fan
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

32 minutes ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

Based on Tocchet's comments, Garland will never be a top-six player on this team as long as JT and Petey are the top two centers. Garland drives play on his line, he's more of a playmaker than a shooter, and Tocchet has said that on their lines the puck has to be in Petey and JT's sticks most of the time. Those guys need finishes more than playmakers.

Having top 6 quality guys on your 3rd line sounds like a recipe for success to me

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

Based on Tocchet's comments, Garland will never be a top-six player on this team as long as JT and Petey are the top two centers. Garland drives play on his line, he's more of a playmaker than a shooter, and Tocchet has said that on their lines the puck has to be in Petey and JT's sticks most of the time. Those guys need finishes more than playmakers.

He's doing perfectly well on the best 3rd line we've had in over a decade? 

Garland drives play on the 3rd line. Take him off and it's not the same.  He's the motor that makes the 3rd line run. I wouldn't move him up to top 6.

We need a bigger physical guy with goal scoring abilities for top 6. Not Garland. He's neither of those. 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Garland drives play on the 3rd line. Take him off and it's not the same.  He's the motor that makes the 3rd line run. I wouldn't move him up to top 6.

We need a bigger physical guy with goal scoring abilities for top 6. Not Garland. He's neither of those. 

Yes He is better suited for the 3rd line, but with coming raises it is not a salary we will be able to pay  and sustain for a 3rd line winger (4-5x higher than the SC Champs 3rd line winger)?

14 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

Yes He is better suited for the 3rd line, but with coming raises it is not a salary we will be able to pay  and sustain for a 3rd line winger (4-5x higher than the SC Champs 3rd line winger)?

Not worried about next year right now. 

I'm enjoying this season of Canucks hockey more than I have for past 10 years. 

The way JR and PA work I'm not worried at all. Garland might be moved this season or in the summer. Hogz could take his spot on 3rd line next season. He also has a high rev motor . 

Podkolzin is another option...

Too many variables to be trying to figure out what's happening next season. 

Let's worry about next season in the summer when we know more about who's staying and who's leaving. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I thought Garland was a standout for Team USA last World Cup. He does all the little things well. At some point the puck will start going in for him. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I thought Garland was a standout for Team USA last World Cup. He does all the little things well. At some point the puck will start going in for him. 

I feel like this will happen sooner than later. He’s playing so well right now I wouldn’t be surprised if he scores 5 in the next 5 games.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

• -dlc- unfeatured and unpinned this topic
15 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

JTM is my fave player, but I'm tired of his slow, lethargic skate to the wall, and meandering in....I would think the other goalies are keen to that move by now?

Change it up, come in with speed and let 'er rip!!! It should always be that way. Same goes to the others.

JT is now 4 for 5 since he watched the Burrows video and adopted the move.  Why would he change what works ? 

i disagree with ppl saying its a boring game, this is the way its gonna be come playoff. tight tight games with small small margins. im surprised that Min are so far down the standings considering what a tight game they play. one win one point in ot is not bad against a team like that. now lets move on to Bedard..i mean chicagos rebuild and lets knock them out of the park. chicago sux. 

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

JT is now 4 for 5 since he watched the Burrows video and adopted the move.  Why would he change what works ? 

Hmm, maybe bcoz he's done it too many times, and it's been scouted by teams and their goalies? 

How effective do you think he'll be moving forward, if he keeps on making that move? 

And why are you adverse to him changing it up? He's got a great wrist shot, come in with speed, get the goalie backing in, and let it fly!

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Hmm, maybe bcoz he's done it too many times, and it's been scouted by teams and their goalies? 

How effective do you think he'll be moving forward, if he keeps on making that move? 

And why are you adverse to him changing it up? He's got a great wrist shot, come in with speed, get the goalie backing in, and let it fly!

Not saying he shouldn't try something else,  just that it was his first attempt this season and it had worked in the past.  It's not just his shootout move, though, as he's done that on breakaways (ofc at a much higher speed)

I think it was last season, 'Pass it to Bulis' commented that he'd approched the twins for hints as he thought his 'head fake-five hole' move was becoming too predictable,  and they sat him thru a couple of Burrows vids.   So he's not adverse to changing things

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Not saying he shouldn't try something else,  just that it was his first attempt this season and it had worked in the past.  It's not just his shootout move, though, as he's done that on breakaways (ofc at a much higher speed)

I think it was last season, 'Pass it to Bulis' commented that he'd approched the twins for hints as he thought his 'head fake-five hole' move was becoming too predictable,  and they sat him thru a couple of Burrows vids.   So he's not adverse to changing things

Oh for sure, you're right, it HAS been his signature move, but he's my favourite player, and like everyone else in Canucks Nation we know the tools he has, and I just wanted to see him change it up, only in the fact that that I worry that eventually the book will be out on him....Gustavsson looked so poised and ready for him, and outwaited JTM until he ended up with nothing to shoot at.

1 minute ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Oh for sure, you're right, it HAS been his signature move, but he's my favourite player, and like everyone else in Canucks Nation we know the tools he has, and I just wanted to see him change it up, only in the fact that that I worry that eventually the book will be out on him....Gustavsson looked so poised and ready for him, and outwaited JTM until he ended up with nothing to shoot at.

Didn't he hit the post, though, just above the glove?  (I was watching at a friend's, who was annoying and distractive)

3 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Didn't he hit the post, though, just above the glove?  (I was watching at a friend's, who was annoying and distractive)

It looked like he did, yes...hence my "ended up with nothing to shoot at" statement....it was close! But goal posts don't show up on the boxscores unfortunately....the goalie just outwaited him, and took away his space until he had nothing left to shoot at.

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Expectations were so different then for what stars were supposed to do.

Maybe for some but my expectations have never changed. I always expect players on my team to play team first hockey. There were some great two way players back then too. Just not Naslund. There were players like Hossa, Datsyuk, Elias, Alfreddson, Recchi, Iginla, Guerin, Havlat, Doan, Briere, Smyth, Demitra, Holik, Arnott, and Hejduk just to name a few. They all played with varying degrees of strong defensive skill. I spent that whole playoffs just shaking my head at that line's refusal to play defence. The only comparable star player who put in so little effort in his own end was Brett Hull.  In the end it singlehandedly caused us the series against Minnesota. 

• ThereItIs 1

26 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Maybe for some but my expectations have never changed. I always expect players on my team to play team first hockey. There were some great two way players back then too. Just not Naslund. There were players like Hossa, Datsyuk, Elias, Alfreddson, Recchi, Iginla, Guerin, Havlat, Doan, Briere, Smyth, Demitra, Holik, Arnott, and Hejduk just to name a few. They all played with varying degrees of strong defensive skill. I spent that whole playoffs just shaking my head at that line's refusal to play defence. The only comparable star player who put in so little effort in his own end was Brett Hull.  In the end it singlehandedly caused us the series against Minnesota. 

Crow ran it a certain way... 

• Cheers 1