[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Chicago Blackhawks // December 17, 2023

Rubik

7 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Cheers Deb,

I remember the year JT was going into UFA we were all debating whether we keep him or not. I said back then and you agreed with me... you could trade JT for 2/3 players and some pick/s to round out our team (which was the argument, funny enough it's what we did with Horvat instead)...so you get in the trade a 1st rd pick, a top PK forward, a very good scoring forward, and a young prospect forward or something of that mix...or you can have JT all rolled up into one player and he'll probably outperform the players plus the pick you get back in the return. He's that good.

Most guys in this league are good a one thing or another, but are not multifaceted and bring EVERYTHING to the table as one player. Those are rare guys. It was insane back then to let him go and it's insane now to even think about it even further. Love this guy!

The icing on the cake is that management realized this, retained the right guy and traded Horvat for pretty much that package. Talk about maximizing returns! Not to go off tagent but i'm really liking how this trade has worked out for us...1st rd pick turns into a top 2 D in Hronek, Raty could be our next 3rd line center, and Beavillier turned into Zadorov in a round about way...Allvin and co are on fire.

They continue to make very smart, calculated moves to build this team up and surround this core. It's great to see competent management in Vancouver again.

Lafferty, Joshua, Soucy, Suter, Blueger, Cole, De Smith, Zad...like every single guy they sign or trade for is pulling their weight and contributing in major ways to this team. This reminds me of how Gillis was able to always trade for or sign high value guys and surround the twins with the best team possible...except this management team has won it all in the past, so I see it as another level up from Gillis IMO. They see a finish line and have a plan to get there.

We have all complained about lack of vision and general direction of this team...not anymore.

I want a Miller jersey!!!

• ThereItIs 1

The team understandably looked a little tired out of the blocks, having played OT yesterday and then traveling, while Chicago was well rested and playing at home in their own time zone, so I expected the first period to look the way it did. Demko kept them in the game until the boys found their legs—good response in the 2nd won them the game.

I thought Petey continued to look better over the past three or four games; the one-timer was a beauty. You can see he's getting closer to a bust-out game, with intercepted passes and just missing his spots.

Bedard is as advertised; he will be special once they put a team around him. He has the highest hockey IQ I've seen in a player that age. The shot to create a rebound was a thing of beauty and something I don't understand why the Canucks don't do more this year.

That was two games in a row where Hronek could have easily suffered a catastrophic injury on the end boards; he should buy a lottery ticket with his luck. 

Joshua's goal was money, great tip with a perfect slap pass. It's good to have three lines that can score, and each is unique in the way they attack, making shutting the whole team down more problematic.

I prefer Suter on the 4th line, where he and Kuzy can develop some chemistry. I thought he looked lost with Petey. And I thought the fourth line was utterly impotent. They need a natural center. Either Lafferty or Kuzy needs to be on Petey's wing.

Overall, I'm happy for the win. I thought it would be 5-2, but the two points are what counts.

Edited by Canuckleheads Fan

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:

And with Bo gone there was no way you can lose  that face off percentage and puck possession without a massive drop down! And he played hockey and knew more than everyone…

Also, advocating to move Quinn and Brock too.

Imagine our team right now without Miller, Hughes, Boeser. 

• Tank 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I never ever supported trading him, not once....my stance was always firm: if he goes, I go. And I meant it. But yes, I'd probably say the return for him should be something along those lines.

Because he was exactly the type of player I support .... the guys who'll do anything to win. (Like Burr). When others saw "moody" I saw a guy who didn't give a sh about anything except winning. And got owly when we were losing. Took it to heart.

Oh, I never meant you were wanting him traded. You were there backing me up! You agreed with my statement about it is all i'm sayin. I very much know trading JT was never even a thought in your head.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

Thing is, who knows? You don't know with any player and at least, in the here and now, Miller's a beast. Just what this team needed.

So even IF he drops off...we got some good value out of him and he's paying his dues. The way he rubs off on the team is having an impact.

I mean, how many players get signed and are a flop from the word go? We've seen a few of those. Miller's been a nice surprise (to those who didn't see it from the get go...not many of us did)

What I love about Miller and his extension was management identified him as the Centre that will compete all over the ice and put up 85-100 pts over the next 3-4 years and then years 5,6,7 they can move him to the wing and still put up 70-80 pts tail end of contract. He’s a big money player and took a discount to stay in our city, that says everything about the guy, he gives a shit. When we win a cup Quinn Hughes will need help accepting the cup and the very next person to hold it will be Conn Smyth winner #9 JT Miller. He will get to the century mark this year in pts finishing top 5 in league scoring with 109 pts.

Love this team and greatness is coming because we fans deserve it.

Go Canucks!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby Lou said:

I loved Horvat as a Nuck but he was def padding his stats and it was a career year..... he's never even been close to JT's level. 

Sometimes we over value a player here because of what they do in the community or the loyalty factor ..we drafted em blah blah...but bottom line JT was day 1 a steal at a 1st round pick.

I remember ppl flipping out at that deal and I had followed him in Tampa and New York. I knew right away what we had in him.... the discount new contract he's signed that ppl were upset about all the b.s. but in his time hear he's been our best player .... Every... Single...Year. period. Love the guy. Him n Boeser have been absolutely lethal together. 

+ 1 billion

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

39 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Cheers Deb,

I remember the year JT was going into UFA we were all debating whether we keep him or not. I said back then and you agreed with me... you could trade JT for 2/3 players and some pick/s to round out our team (which was the argument, funny enough it's what we did with Horvat instead)...so you get in the trade a 1st rd pick, a top PK forward, a very good scoring forward, and a young prospect forward or something of that mix...or you can have JT all rolled up into one player and he'll probably outperform the players plus the pick you get back in the return. He's that good.

Most guys in this league are good a one thing or another, but are not multifaceted and bring EVERYTHING to the table as one player. Those are rare guys. It was insane back then to let him go and it's insane now to even think about it even further. Love this guy!

The icing on the cake is that management realized this, retained the right guy and traded Horvat for pretty much that package. Talk about maximizing returns! Not to go off tagent but i'm really liking how this trade has worked out for us...1st rd pick turns into a top 2 D in Hronek, Raty could be our next 3rd line center, and Beavillier turned into Zadorov in a round about way...Allvin and co are on fire.

They continue to make very smart, calculated moves to build this team up and surround this core. It's great to see competent management in Vancouver again.

Lafferty, Joshua, Soucy, Suter, Blueger, Cole, De Smith, Zad...like every single guy they sign or trade for is pulling their weight and contributing in major ways to this team. This reminds me of how Gillis was able to always trade for or sign high value guys and surround the twins with the best team possible...except this management team has won it all in the past, so I see it as another level up from Gillis IMO. They see a finish line and have a plan to get there.

We have all complained about lack of vision and general direction of this team...not anymore.

What our management has done is genius and other teams will try to copy our style for trading ideas and targets to shed the cap in the near future.  If we win the Cup, then the whole league will be trying to make trades in advance to speed up their rebuild.   They are ahead of our time.  May be even more difficult to give us the picks for cap due to rare Perry situation.  Also, it may be more difficult trading for players but giving up one NHL roster for picks and using that picks in a chip for other teams' players.  That all it took.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I've been wondering how things will work out with the Canucks already having played several games

more than other teams.  Had a look at the schedule and omg, it sure is some strange scheduling.

After they play San Jose on the 23rd, they only have Philly and Ott during the next 8 days (4 each

between games). All 3 games are at home and then they head out on a 7 game eastern road trip.

They will have plenty of time to mix in a balance of rest and practice during the 8 days off and

they will need it for the road trip.

Yeah you gotta admit our schedule is fucked up

I can’t help but wonder how much LA has benefitted from playing five less games… Because clearly they have had way more rest than we have in between games… and time to practice 

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Yeah you gotta admit our schedule is fucked up

I can’t help but wonder how much LA has benefitted from playing five less games… Because clearly they have had way more rest than we have in between games… and time to practice 

They were cut a lot of slack 'cos of their down under tour .....

"The Kings will play their first two preseason games in Melbourne, Australia against the Arizona Coyotes in the 2023 NHL Global Series – Melbourne, the first ever NHL games played in the Southern Hemisphere. In total, the Kings will play against four different opponents throughout the preseason, in seven different cities, across a schedule that consists of quite a bit of travel"

We're a good team. Faced adversity in this first half/quarter. Bodes well for a greater push when it matters most in the second half.

We're a better team than the wet blankets say we are. Just have to point to the standings and where our leaders are in the scoring race.

And ... Hronek had a rough first period today and came back.

#winning

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1