[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Chicago Blackhawks // December 17, 2023

Rubik

Suter back now is going to make things interesting.  Ive always thought stick w chemistry when you have it.

But can Garland move up to play with Miller/Boeser?  I like Hoagie but Garland is a buzzsaw and they need that.

Can Suter center a line of DJ and NH?

Can IM and SL stick w EP?

I thought Bluegar/Aman were good when paired together to start the season. 

Kuzy is the dark horse in all this as well. I dont think he really fits/helps on the fourth line but he’s not exactly driving play in the top 6 either.  If I had to make a bet, I think Allvin/Tocchett are thinking they could upgrade the team by trading him.

The defence seems pretty solid now w big Z and Myers playing very confident.  Soucy will settle it down even more. 

Really looking forward to NSH and DAL

11 minutes ago, Googlie said:

They were cut a lot of slack 'cos of their down under tour .....

"The Kings will play their first two preseason games in Melbourne, Australia against the Arizona Coyotes in the 2023 NHL Global Series – Melbourne, the first ever NHL games played in the Southern Hemisphere. In total, the Kings will play against four different opponents throughout the preseason, in seven different cities, across a schedule that consists of quite a bit of travel"

I still don’t think that’s necessary though… Preseason is preseason…

Travelling to Australia doesn’t really do that much to you… I’ve done that flight - these are top shelf athletes in the prime of their life - it won’t affect them -  You might have a bit of Jetlag but I don’t think that has earned them favourable treatment regardless

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Travelling to Australia doesn’t really do that much to you… I’ve done that flight - these are top shelf athletes in the prime of their life - it won’t affect them -  You might have a bit of Jetlag but I don’t think that has earned them favourable treatment regardless

Good post! At some point there needs to be a sacrifice. They are pros and need to adjust to the challenge in catching up to the season. 

• ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, Tofu_Bud said:

Suter back now is going to make things interesting.  Ive always thought stick w chemistry when you have it.

But can Garland move up to play with Miller/Boeser?  I like Hoagie but Garland is a buzzsaw and they need that.

Kuzy is the dark horse in all this as well. I dont think he really fits/helps on the fourth line but he’s not exactly driving play in the top 6 either.  If I had to make a bet, I think Allvin/Tocchett are thinking they could upgrade the team by trading him.

The defence seems pretty solid now w big Z and Myers playing very confident.  Soucy will settle it down even more. 

Garland is playing well on the 3rd line and unless the wheels come of that particular cart, I don't see Tocchet breaking that line up - as noted he hasn't done to date while the other 3 lines are thrown in a blender periodically. Garland is a bit overpaid even for the chemistry he clearly has with DJ & Blueger but yes, I think PA will make a purely business decision and Garland will be moved.

Kuzmenko I really like as a player and person - that smile is infectious but again, PA / JR will move him in a heartbeat if the result is a net benefit to the team as a whole. If I had to make a wager, I would say Garland is 75% likely gone well before the TDL while Kuz is more like a 50/50 closer to TDL if at all on a purely "no retention" basis. Personally, if I was calling the shots (and I clearly don't, LOL), I would like to try making a deal Kuz for Tarasenko plus a pick or Kuz for Pavel Buchnevich one for one with perhaps a minor piece going either way.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Tofu_Bud said:

I think garland is too small to be on the top lines  - he must be matched up against weaker defenceman

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

It will catch them up with tough stretch.  They haven't gone through a meat grinder of a schedule just yet. It will happen after Christmas break.  2nd half will be a grind.

• ThereItIs 1

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not sure if it was mentioned but the Blackhawks were all at Kevin Korchinski’s father’s funeral on Friday.

Foligno before the game said they really wanted to win this one for him. So if it seemed like they really wanted that one it’s because they did.

Man… that hurts… kinda wished the Hawks won after hearing the back story… 

Sad Season 3 GIF by The Lonely Island

….. NOT!!!

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS

2 hours ago, Canuck You said:

I would love to watch a Nucks game in Chicago, Looked like a pretty invested crowd for such a shit team.

Do they still have that idiotic goal song? I missed the game today, so not sure if that garbage is still out there.

1 hour ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Something like 18 hours.  It's a bit of a grind.  Aus is something like 17 hours ahead of the west coast.  That's 7 hours behind, but tomorrow.  

But whatever. 

The Kings have played 5 fewer games than the Canucks.  The Canucks have been playing at a rate that is as great as any team in the league to date.  I think that their lack of practice time is showing but they are winning at a pretty good rate.  My point is that between now and seasons end, the Kings will have to play 5 more games than the Canucks so the 2nd half will be hard on them just like the first half has been hard on the Canucks.  It's all equal by seasons end.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Huge necessary culture change. 

💯💯💯💯💯💯

Straight from the horses mouth, confirming what we all knew, but yet still may have wondered about it's significance.

It's a huge culture shift, and it's been a long time coming, but became a short order priority for our management, and also the leaders on the roster as well...I'm sure they've communicated their wishes to the brass, knowing that the door would be open to them

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1