[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Chicago Blackhawks // December 17, 2023

Rubik

37 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

They do and although I hate hearing it at that arena, my wife and I love that song!

IMG_5960.png

I mean, I get it... it can be a fun sing-a-long tune and all.  It just drove me nuts (and I'm sure a boatload of others here) during the Hawks heyday 10+ years back.

• Cheers 2

nice gutsy effort despite the slow start for a big 2 points.. with the holidays coming up.. i hope they really work on that PK though.. it looks awful.. with the powerplay not clicking like before.. we can't afford to give up so many PP goals.. so hopefully they figure something out or try something new

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JamesB said:

This is the right call. Having a good third line is very important. One of the biggest flaws in Benning's "team-building" was that the Canucks never had a really good third line.

One under-rated key on the Canuck President's trophy teams was guys like Malhotra and Higgins who were excellent 3rd liners.

And one problem with Garland is that, although his individual stats have been pretty good his entire time with the Canucks, he has never really "chemistry" with anyone until now. But that line of Blueger, Joshua, and Garland really does have chemistry and is playing well at both ends of the ice (and in the middle). I doubt if Tocc wants to give that up.

We have seen a rotating cast with Miller and Boeser. That is not necessarily bad. As Tocc has said, sometimes a guy can come in a play really well due to adrenaline and high energy, but it is hard to keep that up in the F1 slot, as we have seen from PDG, Kuzy, and Lafferty (on Petey's line).  But that is ok. I like the idea of resting PDG for a while then bringing him back to Miller's line. We are still hoping that Hogs can develop enough consistency to stay on that line all the time, but I would not count on it.

I guess Podz and Bains will probably stay in the Abby for the year, but they are both looking good and could be options late in the season.

I just wish that Suter or Bleuger where a little bit more gifted in playmaking ability Garland and Joshua, even Lafferty and Hog's well they where on those lines would have far more points.

59 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Something like 18 hours.  It's a bit of a grind.  Aus is something like 17 hours ahead of the west coast.  That's 7 hours behind, but tomorrow.  

But whatever. 

The Kings have played 5 fewer games than the Canucks.  The Canucks have been playing at a rate that is as great as any team in the league to date.  I think that their lack of practice time is showing but they are winning at a pretty good rate.  My point is that between now and seasons end, the Kings will have to play 5 more games than the Canucks so the 2nd half will be hard on them just like the first half has been hard on the Canucks.  It's all equal by seasons end.

Everything evens out…

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Something like 18 hours.  It's a bit of a grind.  Aus is something like 17 hours ahead of the west coast.  That's 7 hours behind, but tomorrow.  

But whatever. 

The Kings have played 5 fewer games than the Canucks.  The Canucks have been playing at a rate that is as great as any team in the league to date.  I think that their lack of practice time is showing but they are winning at a pretty good rate.  My point is that between now and seasons end, the Kings will have to play 5 more games than the Canucks so the 2nd half will be hard on them just like the first half has been hard on the Canucks.  It's all equal by seasons end.

Yeah, gotta agree with ya there.  flying east can be brutal. I remember coming back from working in Tokyo on Friday morning, and trying to play slow-pitch on Sunday.  could not figure out why I couldn't make the throw from short to first, as it was consistently falling short. Finally remembered the jet lag. And that was only 8 hours difference (granted, I'm no pro athlete).

Heck, it's bad enough on the first game when our boys start an east coast trip, and that's just 3 hours.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Yeah, gotta agree with ya there.  flying east can be brutal. I remember coming back from working in Tokyo on Friday morning, and trying to play slow-pitch on Sunday.  could not figure out why I couldn't make the throw from short to first, as it was consistently falling short. Finally remembered the jet lag. And that was only 8 hours difference (granted, I'm no pro athlete).

Heck, it's bad enough on the first game when our boys start an east coast trip, and that's just 3 hours.

OT:  Hilarious argument that Hulk Hogan made about him actually "wrestling for over 50 years" because of all the time zone changes (world travel that was required especially in the 80s/90s).  Right up there with Hogan saying he was asked to be the bass player for Metallica one time (he actually was a bass player *BEFORE* his professional wrestling career, now that part *IS* true).🤣  Jim Cornette:  "I wouldn't trust anything that came out of Hogan's mouth even if he had his tongue notarized" 🤣

• Haha 1

soill be the first to admit im wrong about zadorov, i think i would be comfortable with the Monster Line of Zadorov and Myers... for now and in the future....

which is weird because surely Myers is one of the players thats left on out team that is over paid right now, But since the zadorov trade he's been earning it...

Garland I was wrong about too, i have never been a big fan of them, But having Joshua play with him balances that line out alot. Joshua is a very smart player and obviously is improving with each game.. I would have never thought they would have the third highest amount of PK minutes on the team, but here we are...

Nothing really to complain about, can we make improvements... sure. But I dont really have to worry about that anymore, The management is impressively good...

at this point we only can only selectively improve the club,im sure no trades will be had until we have had ample time to find the perfect piece to the puzzle...

so anyways. i predict Hughes and Petterson are bout to go on a huge streak its not a matter of 'if' its a matter of when...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Ya, flying back and forth to the antipodes, because it takes a long time, when you cross the date line from west to east, you skip a day (leave on Sunday, arrive down under on Tuesday) and coming home from east to west, you live the same day twice so it's a bit of a thing to get your head around.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Canucks are #2 in the league.

I heard Bettman purchased a burial plot and tomorrow he’s heading there to practice rolling in his grave. 

so it is true... abstinence does allow us to think clearer and be our best selves...

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Also, advocating to move Quinn and Brock too.

Imagine our team right now without Miller, Hughes, Boeser. 

If they'd moved this guys, they would have had no chance to sign Petey, and might as well have dealt Thatcher, so we would have had four of five hears of awful hockey to look forward to, much as Chicago does.

3 hours ago, coolboarder said:

What our management has done is genius and other teams will try to copy our style for trading ideas and targets to shed the cap in the near future.  If we win the Cup, then the whole league will be trying to make trades in advance to speed up their rebuild.   They are ahead of our time.  May be even more difficult to give us the picks for cap due to rare Perry situation.  Also, it may be more difficult trading for players but giving up one NHL roster for picks and using that picks in a chip for other teams' players.  That all it took.

its not new... its stevie Y trades Savard had a 1m AAV, Goodrow had a 1m AAV, Coleman had a 1m AAV, Savard was a rental but goodrow and Coleman both had Ter ... any trade you can make for a player that is signed to a good deal and make them highly underpaid in terms of AAV and you get a few of those players and you all of a sudden are a contender, doesn't take much in this NHL...

Hughes

Demko

Miller

Petterson

Cole

Hronek

De Smith

Lafferty

PDG

Joshua

Boeser

Juulsen

Garland

who are earning their pay right now...

Zadorov

Mikheyev

suter

Blueger

Soucy

Aman

Myers... Im tentatively placing him here...

Kuzmenko has been earning his money too, sure more goals is needed from him... just wait.. im thinking any moment that 4th line is going to be as fire as our 3rd line...

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

But you gotta remember these guys are in crazy awesome shape they’re in the prime of their youth and they don’t feel things the same way… Their bodies respond so much better than ours do - flabby old men that we are…

kinda reminds me of an old SNL skit from the early 90s…

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

I mean, I get it... it can be a fun sing-a-long tune and all.  It just drove me nuts (and I'm sure a boatload of others here) during the Hawks heyday 10+ years back.

Still sucks.  Still sucked again tonight.  Crappy song.  Crappy sound system if that bass is any indication.  F Suckago.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

This is the right call. Having a good third line is very important. One of the biggest flaws in Benning's "team-building" was that the Canucks never had a really good third line.

One under-rated key on the Canuck President's trophy teams was guys like Malhotra and Higgins who were excellent 3rd liners.

And one problem with Garland is that, although his individual stats have been pretty good his entire time with the Canucks, he has never really "chemistry" with anyone until now. But that line of Blueger, Joshua, and Garland really does have chemistry and is playing well at both ends of the ice (and in the middle). I doubt if Tocc wants to give that up.

We have seen a rotating cast with Miller and Boeser. That is not necessarily bad. As Tocc has said, sometimes a guy can come in a play really well due to adrenaline and high energy, but it is hard to keep that up in the F1 slot, as we have seen from PDG, Kuzy, and Lafferty (on Petey's line).  But that is ok. I like the idea of resting PDG for a while then bringing him back to Miller's line. We are still hoping that Hogs can develop enough consistency to stay on that line all the time, but I would not count on it.

I guess Podz and Bains will probably stay in the Abby for the year, but they are both looking good and could be options late in the season.

Garland has a few strikes against him that make me want to trade him, and even quicker now that he is showing well.

1. Obviously one of the smallest tykes in the league and size does matter unless you are a phenom like Hughes or St Louis etc and Garland is not.

2. He has no shot.  He could have had 7 or 8 goals over the last 2 games and muffed every one into the chest of the goalie or other easy parry.

3. He cannot crack the top 6 and earns a buck less than $5m/yr for this and 2 more years...Yikes!

3 strikes you're out, imo; can't wait to see what we get for the feisty lil f-er.  (No retention.)

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

nice gutsy effort despite the slow start for a big 2 points.. with the holidays coming up.. i hope they really work on that PK though.. it looks awful.. with the powerplay not clicking like before.. we can't afford to give up so many PP goals.. so hopefully they figure something out or try something new

Huggy is also in slump last 3-4 games

• Huggy Bear 1