[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Chicago Blackhawks // December 17, 2023

Rubik

15 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Man, he sounds so jaded already playing on that dumpster fire of a team. I'm sure he's thinking about how different it would be for him if his pick went to the Canucks. Do you guys think having Bedard on our team right now would make us a legit contender?

Having him on an ELC this season would make us an absolutely powerhouse. I say we are missing another legit top 6 forward, but imagine having Bedard on an ELC on the PP with Petey, Boeser, Miller and Hughes.

I don't know if it will make us a legit contender, but it will definitely make much more dangerous to play against.

19 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Man, he sounds so jaded already playing on that dumpster fire of a team. I'm sure he's thinking about how different it would be for him if his pick went to the Canucks. Do you guys think having Bedard on our team right now would make us a legit contender?

lol, of course. He's a phenom and we're top 5 in the league. He's already making the Blackhawks a harder team to play against.

If wishes were horses beggars would ride. 😄 Unfortunately Bedard is most likely never going to play for Van. It's a pipe dream. I would say along with their high draft picks he will help turn Chicago into a playoff team within 2 or 3 years. It'll be scary if they get Celebrini,  Eisenberg, or Demidov. Instant shades of Mario, Jagr, or Crosby, Malkin, Toews, Kane, etc.

46 minutes ago, Kragar said:

#2 only applies to this year. Not sure what is behind it, but the last two seasons he flirts with 20 goal seasons. At the rate he is going now, he won't break 10.

Is he snakebit (doubtful), or have the yips (more likely), or...?

The pricetag is hard to swallow this season, but he is still a good part of that awesome 3rd line.

I agree, if he does move, there shouldn't be anything retained, all things remaining the same.

I love what Conor Garland brings to the team, he is a superb buzz-line winger and a lot of fun for fans.

But he has to be able to score to help the team to Win The Stanley Cup as he is overpaid and using up cap for what he delivers.

He has all those coaches, and teammates like Quintin Hughes, Elias Pettersson, and others, to help him with that whiffy whet-knoodle fanner he's got goin' there.

He should be given a detention and made to shoot, shoot, shoot, try a different stick, and shoot, shoot, etc, etc.

And aim please; and not at the middle of the goalie or the middle of the post/bar. 

Bar/down, post/in, are excellent targets, 4 corners, 5 hole, etc, this is elementary stuff.  

Do your homework!  Act like a pro; train like a pro; play like a pro. 

Quit smiling until you've got a shot.  Then smile. 

Maybe also phone Cliff Ronning. 

He always had a work-around ready and could really score.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

They'll definitely handle it better than we would, but that kind of travel is still a factor. And the more time zones involved, the bigger the impact.

The slightest difference can make a huge difference.  With the improved skill and conditioning of players today, everyone is trying to find an edge that will take them over the top.  It's already clear today that travel impacts performance.  Just imagine when double-digit time zones are involved.

Definitely the more rested team will have the advantage… I see your point theoretically 

But I will say that I have flown to Australia and it didn’t make a difference for me personally I felt completely normal and it didn’t affect me at all…. I was 23 at the time

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS
  • Cheers 1

Finally we had someone stepped in when Petey got hit pretty hard into the boards!!! Props to Zadarov in coming to his aid!!! This is what we need to see more from other guys on the team!! I can tell Zadarov will be a fan favourite!!! We will need to come up with a chant for him soon haha!!! 

Edited by RolexSub
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

It’s all relative. He was going to a garbage team regardless and if we somehow drafted him then we would have been just as bad. He will have more say where he would like to go once his ELC is up and as an RFA the Hawks would demand a lot for him to go elsewhere. Probably more than anyone is willing to do. 

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

I admit this is a good argument and you might be right. Garland does not have a good shot and his cap hit is too high for a 3rd liner.

But, the current third line is the best the Canucks have had for a long time so I don't really want to mess that up.

And I don't think the Canucks could get much if anything in return in a trade for the reasons you cite. Although he has been playing well, his counting stats are not good enough that trading him now would be "selling high".  If the Canucks could unload his cap hit (no retention) in return for any kind of positive asset (B prospect or 3rd round pick, say) I probably would do it, but I would have mixed feelings about it.

I think you're right. You have to trade him if the opportunity arises. I'm not a big fan but even I have to admit he's playing great and providing a genuine role and unique aspect in the team. However, with the OEL hit coming up and Petey/Hronek, that cap space is vital to improving the team if that's when we're planning on competing for a cup. He's a luxury item we simply can't afford without some element of risk.

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think you're right. You have to trade him if the opportunity arises. I'm not a big fan but even I have to admit he's playing great and providing a genuine role and unique aspect in the team. However, with the OEL hit coming up and Petey/Hronek, that cap space is vital to improving the team if that's when we're planning on competing for a cup. He's a luxury item we simply can't afford without some element of risk.

If that line keeps chipping in a goal every game, I’d argue he’s not a luxury. He’s driving that line and it’s been excellent. 

And yes, that's a pretty big "If". Coaches might have found some magic with that combo though.

If anything, it's Kuzmenko who looks like a luxury at the moment. He's super skilled but not making things happen out there. Might be a better fit on different team. If Boudreau ever comes back, that's the team Kuz will want to get traded to! I love Kuz, so I hope it works out for him.

Edited by Strawbone
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

If that line keeps chipping in a goal every game, I’d argue he’s not a luxury. He’s driving that line and it’s been excellent. 

Plus, someone pointed out, the combined Cap hit of that line, including Garland, is only $8 mil a year. That's incredible value. 

1 hour ago, RolexSub said:

Finally we had someone stepped in when Petey got hit pretty hard into the boards!!! Props to Zadarov in coming to his aid!!! This is what we need to see more from other guys on the team!! I can tell Zadarov will be a fan favourite!!! We will need to come up with a chant for him soon haha!!! 

It's been years, like literally maybe a decade since we've had this type of comradery.

Thinking about it, the torts team had it but we sucked so it didn't really matter

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Definitely the more rested team will have the advantage… I see your point theoretically 

But I will say that I have flown to Australia and it didn’t make a difference for me personally I felt completely normal and it didn’t affect me at all…. I was 23 at the time

But you didn't have to play in an NHL pace game....that's a different beast than most people's day when they arrive in town.

2 hours ago, RJCF96 said:

If things go well and according to plan, the next time we play the Oilers, they could be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. It would be hilarious if when we play them in April, they need a win to keep the playoff chance alive and we beat them one more time and mathematically eliminate them from the playoffs. That would be really really funny.

Let’s cross this bridge when we get there 

53 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

And yes, that's a pretty big "If". Coaches might have found some magic with that combo though.

If anything, it's Kuzmenko who looks like a luxury at the moment. He's super skilled but not making things happen out there. Might be a better fit on different team. If Boudreau ever comes back, that's the team Kuz will want to get traded to! I love Kuz, so I hope it works out for him.

Yeah. I would agree Kuzmenko is not playing well but that's a separate argument for me. It's how you fundamentally want to build a team. My belief is that it's hard to ice a top tier competitive team while paying someone $5 mil to be a third line spark plug. If you want to add some better and more competitive depth in the top 6 the money needs to come from somewhere. Currently, Petey, Miller, Boeser, Mikheyev, Hoglander, and even Kuzmenko, are ahead of him for top 6 duties. He doesn't pk or add a lot on the pp.

I guess he's playing well right now and helping the team so I wouldn't want to dump him unless we use the cap space. I'm just not sure it's the same case two years from now when we're doing cap gymnastics to get the team under the cap limit. Planning ahead is going to be crucial for the management group.

43 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

The Predators have won four strait themselves..

They have to show up, ready to play on Tuesday. Can't have the kind of start they did this weekend. If we can get a lead early keep playing our way, I like our chances.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

They have to show up, ready to play on Tuesday. Can't have the kind of start they did this weekend. If we can get a lead early keep playing our way, I like our chances.

It will be a 3rd game in 4 days with travel.

Will be tough.

I just hope that RT system helps Canucks to get a point or two

I would be happy with a point, tbh.

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

But you didn't have to play in an NHL pace game....that's a different beast than most people's day when they arrive in town.

True I’ve never been in the NHL… But I honestly didn’t feel any different my energy level was the same mentally I was the same but you’re very right I will never know if I could ever compete at a high athletic level from experience I had flying to Australia

16 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

True I’ve never been in the NHL… But I honestly didn’t feel any different my energy level was the same mentally I was the same but you’re very right I will never know if I could ever compete at a high athletic level from experience I had flying to Australia

I have family in Australia. While I've never made the trip myself (issues with vertigo and flying) everyone else who's done it has felt pretty lousy for a day or two. I think a 7 hour time change does affect most people, never mind the extremely long flight where you're sitting for 14 hours in a low-oxygen environment. 

You may have anti-jet-lag superpowers!

• Vintage 1