[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Chicago Blackhawks // December 17, 2023

Rubik

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Just another goof, who never played any sport, pretending to understand a game at the highest level through fancy stats. Drance is a goofaroo. 

it's cute that he thinks he's an authority. 

Edited by tas
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

How does the glass feel hitting it at that speed, Blake?

Actually FANTASTIC! You straightened out my spine that $4500 worth of visits to my chiropractor couldn't. THANKS JEWELS.

.... next one in line, keep the "what is Jewels or Blake saying / thinking"

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think that because it’s their zoological handle that it still would be huntsmans. 

I think technically speaking both are breaking grammatical rules and would only ever be used in common speech, but more importantly, I was just making a joke. 

• Haha 1

• Jess unfeatured this topic
  • Jess unpinned this topic
18 hours ago, Darius said:

I dont spend much time on Twitter, er or X or whatever you call it, but I get on this morning and see a bunch of posts from stats nerds basically showing how "lucky" the Canucks are and on the other hand showing what a powerhouse the coilers are if it were not for their goalie.  "Underlying stats"....in my mind all that counts is the actual record. Do these spreadsheets take into account travel schedules, back to back games etc? 

I know im a dinosaur but this stuff is getting out of hand, sure there might be a place for it ...but if we are lucky coz we have Demko standing on his head, arent the Oilers lucky for having a guy like McDavid on the roster? Isnt that the equivalent of a forward standing on his head. If he plays like half the game does that skew the possession numbers of the roster in general.  I wont get into the PDO...whatever the hell that really is.  All i know is when I see an oiler fan claim the Canucks are lucky - after winning 4 draft lottos in short order...including a generational talent all because of a slot machine..i roll my eyes ...Luck my ass...

How many more wins do they need to see before they realize there is something else going on here.

I agree these stats are getting out of hand. It's just a substitute for the new wave of kids who don't actually want to put in the work of watching hockey games to understand them. Just rattle of a couple spreadsheets and they'll tell you who to cheer for and parade around like they have some in depth knowledge of the game.

They can give you a snapshot (like they said when I programmed for a mystery shop company) of what is happening but they don't tell you the how or why it happened. This PDO thing is dumb and the newest flavor of the month for advanced analytics. Obviously we're a good hockey team. The way we have accumulated wins is clear to anyone who has watched the games. No spreadsheets necessary. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I agree these stats are getting out of hand. It's just a substitute for the new wave of kids who don't actually want to put in the work of watching hockey games to understand them. Just rattle of a couple spreadsheets and they'll tell you who to cheer for and parade around like they have some in depth knowledge of the game.

They can give you a snapshot (like they said when I programmed for a mystery shop company) of what is happening but they don't tell you the how or why it happened. This PDO thing is dumb and the newest flavor of the month for advanced analytics. Obviously we're a good hockey team. The way we have accumulated wins is clear to anyone who has watched the games. No spreadsheets necessary. 

None of them have a predictive model that's more accurate than an experienced/knowledgeable fan.

• Upvote 1