[Report]: Term the main priority for Nikita Zadorov’s camp in extension talks with Canucks

16 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I’d try to sign him for 6 years ,

that’s the same timeline as JT ‘s contract.

Both would be UFA’s at the end of 2029-30.

Run the same Clauses on the same timeline.

my reasoning is if this team is in need of another overhaul in 4 or more years,  those 2 might package well for a fantastic return to do it with.

If it is 6 years ,   I’d do 4 to 4.25 , either flat across or incrementally descending.

Either way ,  I’m trust this management group and Coaching staff.

Yes exactly, If it comes down to selling players it means we are struggling and probably in a place where we would be able to retain on the contracts and get a decent return out of both players as well, I don’t think a lot of people look at the picture that way, also how much will the cap go up by let’s say 2028, prob make both their contracts look like decent deals even if JT is down to a 60 point player by that time 

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I think it will have to be 6 years at minimum. 

$4.5 mill 6 years would likely get his signature on a contract.. 

Other teams will offer him 5mill maybe more if he goes UFA. A lot of players get overpaid on July 1st. 

He like is here and wants to be here. So I think its best to get him signed asap. 

I'd sign 4.5 over 6 years. That's better than 6M over 6 years like Myers was signed to. 

AND, if Myers did want to come back here, he'd need to take a paycut. Team shouldn't be paying him more than 2.5M. If he declines, he can go elsewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/21/2023 at 1:40 AM, VegasCanuck said:

A guy who is 6'5", can accelerate to over 35kmph on Ice and is one of the fastest sustained (not acceleration) skaters in the league, contribute offensively, and is a physically intimidating guy anywhere on the ice. A guy who is defensively responsible and can easily clear the net and will only be 29 years old at UFA, you don't think teams would jump to do 7 years at 4.5 or 5 million with the cap now cleared to rise freely again?

The only reason Myers cap hit looked so bad was due to the flat cap. If Covid hadn't happened and we were on track with new broadcasting agreements to be around 95 million cap right now. In that perspective, Myers would still be considered a little high, but not significantly so.

With that in mind, do you think that if Zadorov was on another team and the Canucks were chasing him in free agency that they wouldn't go up to say, 5 million for 6 or 7 years to reign him in if they could avoid a full NMC? I'd say that about 70% of the teams in this league would do that.

I'd be really ecstatic  if we could lock him up on a rising cap at around 4.5 million cap hit for 5 - 7 years as long as we can maintain no more than a 10 - 12 team NTC. Assuming the cap is now going to move freely again, that means we'd be around a 100 million cap in the NHL by the time the contract expires. Just don't construct it in a way that we couldn't do a buyout if we really needed to.

He is good, but he has 1 goal and 7 points in 31 games and plays bottom-half minutes, always seems to hover around 17-18ish minutes a night. In Calgary he was kind of their 4-5th guy. Here is our 4-5th guy in terms of ice-time. I don't think these guys get paid that much. 5M will certainly be too high, 4.5M is definitely the upper limit for him but hopefully if we give him term we can get that down to 4M. 

Sadly you don't get paid for being a defensive defenceman as well as an offensive defenceman so that lack of offensive production will surely work in our favour. 

4.5 -5 for 6 would be good for both sides 

he plays the way that fits the system his age and his physicality have added value. And if you look at what PA wants for a D group the Jb era of weee D easy to play against are over. 

sure we might  find a guy that puts up a few more points but he more than likely won’t  protect the net /his teammates or throw the big  hit and be right in the age of our team.

Building a winning team is about finding all the pieces of the puzzle players that bring different aspects and can buy in and play the system. 
we have a guy like that in Zad now it would be a mistake to lose. 

I don’t see PA not resigning him,he wanted him in the summer and he got him  later with some picks. He had  to know what Zad wanted to resign before we got him. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He is good, but he has 1 goal and 7 points in 31 games and plays bottom-half minutes, always seems to hover around 17-18ish minutes a night. In Calgary he was kind of their 4-5th guy. Here is our 4-5th guy in terms of ice-time. I don't think these guys get paid that much. 5M will certainly be too high, 4.5M is definitely the upper limit for him but hopefully if we give him term we can get that down to 4M. 

Sadly you don't get paid for being a defensive defenceman as well as an offensive defenceman so that lack of offensive production will surely work in our favour. 

Last year, he had 14 goals, but his offensive stats don't really mean much. We have enough guys who can drive offense from the blue line. We need guys who can protect the front of the net and be an intimidating presence and play with an edge. To go deep in the playoffs, preventing goals is as important as scoring them. If it wasn't, Edmonton would have won the last 5 cups. Our defense isn't as deep as Tampa's yet, but we have a similar construction in guys who can drive offense and guys who can drive defense.

To win the cup, we need to be much better at protecting our own zone and suppressing shots, Zadorov will be a big part of that. Open market, this guy likely gets 5+ for 6 or 7 years.

• ThereItIs 1

Might be controversial but if Myers and Big Z keep playing as well as they have by the eye and analytics test (still a small sample size), does a Myers extension make sense if Big Z extends? 

The below eight man unit would come in at under $30M per year. Provides stability and allows room for some young guys to get some playing time.

QH $7.85M (three more years after this season)

Hronek $7.85M x 6 (extension)

Zad $4.5M x 5 (extension)

Myers $4M x 2 (extension)

Soucy $3.25M (two more years after this season)

Juulsen $775K (one more year after this season)

7th/8th $800 x 2

16 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I'd sign 4.5 over 6 years. That's better than 6M over 6 years like Myers was signed to. 

AND, if Myers did want to come back here, he'd need to take a paycut. Team shouldn't be paying him more than 2.5M. If he declines, he can go elsewhere. 

I think we will make room for Dman Petersson next season ,

I just wonder if it’s Cole or Myers who goes.

Juulz is becoming a solid D man,

I hope he , Aman  and Hoglander get the playoff experience that will take them up 2 steps .

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Combover said:

4.5 -5 for 6 would be good for both sides 

he plays the way that fits the system his age and his physicality have added value. And if you look at what PA wants for a D group the Jb era of weee D easy to play against are over. 

sure we might  find a guy that puts up a few more points but he more than likely won’t  protect the net /his teammates or throw the big  hit and be right in the age of our team.

Building a winning team is about finding all the pieces of the puzzle players that bring different aspects and can buy in and play the system. 
we have a guy like that in Zad now it would be a mistake to lose. 

I don’t see PA not resigning him,he wanted him in the summer and he got him  later with some picks. He had  to know what Zad wanted to resign before we got him. 

be nice for Z to get it done for Christmas,

that man has a big beautiful smile that rubs off on to everyone:)

ice hockey sport GIF by NHL

national hockey league laughing GIF by Colorado Avalanche

1 hour ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Might be controversial but if Myers and Big Z keep playing as well as they have by the eye and analytics test (still a small sample size), does a Myers extension make sense if Big Z extends? 

The below eight man unit would come in at under $30M per year. Provides stability and allows room for some young guys to get some playing time.

Zad $3.5x 5 (extension)

Myers $3x 2 (extension)

7th/8th $800 x 2

I’ve been okay with Myers coming back for a while. I think the above should be doable though. I get why fans like Zad but I think he’s a 3.5-4 guy depending on term. 

1 minute ago, Dizzle said:

I’ve been okay with Myers coming back for a while. I think the above should be doable though. I get why fans like Zad but I think he’s a 3.5-4 guy depending on term. 

Did everyone forget Myers is going to be 34 in a couple of months? this is also peak Myers as he's playing for his next deal, and he's sheltered again with a good partner.

We have to raise the bar higher. We can go after much better defenders in free agency like DeMelo or Pesce if he's still on the board. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Did everyone forget Myers is going to be 34 in a couple of months? this is also peak Myers as he's playing for his next deal, and he's sheltered again with a good partner.

We have to raise the bar higher. We can go after much better defenders in free agency like DeMelo or Pesce if he's still on the board. 

I’m fine with that too. I’m just not opposed to bringing Myers back either if he wants to be here relatively cost effectively. 

At this point I generally trust what management wants to do with the situation. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Dizzle said:

I’m fine with that too. I’m just not opposed to bringing Myers back either if he wants to be here relatively cost effectively. 

At this point I generally trust what management wants to do with the situation. 

me too, but I'd prefer they move him for assets at the TDL. 

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Not every player should be paid for their ability to score goals. Some players are just as important in their ability to stop the opponent from scoring. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Zad $4.5M x 5 (extension)

Myers $4M x 2 (extension)

7th/8th $800 x 2

Myers should be given no more than $2.5M if he chooses to re-sign with the Canucks. 

• ThereItIs 2

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

What about 4.5 x 5 for Zadorov and 2.5 x 3 for Myers? 

Because of CAP issues I think PA has to look at his prospect list and decide whether and for how much he resigns either Meyers or Zadorov. Will a strong playoff run by either one cement a longer term deal? From what I have seen I question whether either one is a 2nd pairing d-man on a CUP contender. To date I like Zad and feel that Meyer's game has improved under RT. I would not resign Meyers for more than 1 year and Zad at 3years max. More term I guess if there is no trade restrictions. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Because of CAP issues I think PA has to look at his prospect list and decide whether and for how much he resigns either Meyers or Zadorov. Will a strong playoff run by either one cement a longer term deal? From what I have seen I question whether either one is a 2nd pairing d-man on a CUP contender. To date I like Zad and feel that Meyer's game has improved under RT. I would not resign Meyers for more than 1 year and Zad at 3years max. More term I guess if there is no trade restrictions. 

Zadorov, Soucy at 8 mil is a great second pairing. Maybe Willander is here next year? Maybe Woo? Juulsson is cheap. New management sure has done a good job creating depth on our D. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Safe to say we haven’t seen the worst of Zadorov’s game yet as we’re all very happy with him.  With that said we’re talking about a guy who averages 18 minutes a night and has 1 point in 10 games.

IMO we simply can’t be paying him north of 4 mil - I’d give him some term on what he’s currently making (or a little raise up to 4).  We’re at the time of life where every penny counts - Bleuger and Suter are less than a million away from being buriable contracts but huge upgrades on those ELC-ish level deals. Will be very interesting to see what Allvin and JR decide to do here with Hronek / Pettersson deals looming large.

Edited by The Duke