[Report]: Term the main priority for Nikita Zadorov’s camp in extension talks with Canucks

On 12/22/2023 at 1:11 PM, Outsiders said:

Can't overpay on Zad. Like the player a lot but said players need to understand they are role players and if they want to win a cup they have to take less!

What exactly are you defining as an overpayment though? Are you disagreeing with the people saying 4.5 to 5mil sounds reasonable or do you think over 5mil is the overpayment?

And arguably every player is a roleplayer, from Pettersson down to Hoglander. A "roleplayer" doesn't really say much of anything in terms of payment as they literally could be of any skill level in any role.

I guess overall, sure, we shouldn't be overpaying, but I keep hearing people saying a player should take a pay cut. I get the sentiment and it would be nice, but it shouldn't be mandatory either. We can't expect every player to do that while expecting us to maintain having a good team. If we have the pieces we want, we need to still be willing to meet at fair value if a player's not willing to take the discount. Otherwise, we'll just end up with a revolving door of players in my opinion and our team won't be able to sustain its success.

Edited by The Lock

4 hours ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

If his performance with Z continues for the entire season, it would be good value while the young D develop.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/protecting-the-house-it-all-starts-from-the-back

Yeah he’s been alright, I just have no desire to see Myers in a Canucks uniform past this year. Too many blunders in the past and tough to say he can keep playing well. I’d rather just move on. Unless we are talking like 2 million a year then I’d be ok with it 

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Devron said:

Yeah he’s been alright, I just have no desire to see Myers in a Canucks uniform past this year. Too many blunders in the past and tough to say he can keep playing well. I’d rather just move on. Unless we are talking like 2 million a year then I’d be ok with it 

the question is, who would replace Myers? 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

not sure if McWard would be ready to step into a top four role full time. I think the young man probably needs a little more seasoning in Abby. 

Yeah fair enough, it’s something we say every year. Who will replace Myers. Eventually it’s gotta be someone. Hard to say how much he actually brings to the club. He’s the chaos giraffe after all. Some games he’s good and others he seems to practically lose games all on his own.

I say move on and it will work out itself 

Just now, Devron said:

Yeah fair enough, it’s something we say every year. Who will replace Myers. Eventually it’s gotta be someone. Hard to say how much he actually brings to the club. He’s the chaos giraffe after all. Some games he’s good and others he seems to practically lose games all on his own.

I say move on and it will work out itself 

to be fair, since he's been paired with Zadorov, he's played pretty well. Yes, he's prone to turnovers, but I'm not sure you can say that recently. Myers has been quietly good the last few weeks. He's still a legitimate RHD in the NHL. So if he's gone, you'll need someone to replace that, and an AHL defenseman is not going to do it unfortunately. Unless McWard proves he belongs and can handle top four minutes and a top four role, it's not happening. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, N4ZZY said:

to be fair, since he's been paired with Zadorov, he's played pretty well. Yes, he's prone to turnovers, but I'm not sure you can say that recently. Myers has been quietly good the last few weeks. He's still a legitimate RHD in the NHL. So if he's gone, you'll need someone to replace that, and an AHL defenseman is not going to do it unfortunately. Unless McWard proves he belongs and can handle top four minutes and a top four role, it's not happening. 

I agree he has but I have a long memory and I’ve seen it before. Be interesting to see what happens that’s for sure. Regardless I’m looking forward to him not making 6 million a year lol 

1 minute ago, Devron said:

I agree he has but I have a long memory and I’ve seen it before. Be interesting to see what happens that’s for sure. Regardless I’m looking forward to him not making 6 million a year lol 

I'd be open to having Myers come back, but definitely not at 6M. 2.5 max for me personally, if Allvin can get him to come back for less than that, I'm down. He's at best a third pairing defenseman now in his career. Coaches before Tocchet playing Myers - he just wasn't good in those roles before. He's better now because he's playing in a role that suits him. But yeah, I'm with you. If Myers is asking for more than 2.5M, then I'd say see ya later, need to find other options. 

This off-season is going to be really interesting, because there's so much UFA's, and I'm curious as to see how many Allvin can bring back, and whether he can improve the team from this season, because he'll need to. Management has risen the bar for this team this season, it's going to be off the roof next year. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

I'd be open to having Myers come back, but definitely not at 6M. 2.5 max for me personally, if Allvin can get him to come back for less than that, I'm down. He's at best a third pairing defenseman now in his career. Coaches before Tocchet playing Myers - he just wasn't good in those roles before. He's better now because he's playing in a role that suits him. But yeah, I'm with you. If Myers is asking for more than 2.5M, then I'd say see ya later, need to find other options. 

This off-season is going to be really interesting, because there's so much UFA's, and I'm curious as to see how many Allvin can bring back, and whether he can improve the team from this season, because he'll need to. Management has risen the bar for this team this season, it's going to be off the roof next year. 

2.5 is my number as well. Fair after he cashed in already.

20 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

No way Willander is ready for the NHL. He'd have to blow the doors wide open, and as talented as he is, I don't think he's there. 

Yeah I can't see this management pushing for that. There is much more positives in him staying a 2nd year in college than there would be in him making the jump next season. 

if Zadorov takes 5... id say screw it and see what happens in UFA

id rather Pesce at 6 the Zad at 5... Pesce is actually a two way defender that can handle the minutes.

Id sign cole to another 3 million dollar deal 1 year... 

we are going to have to get lucky with vets, fortunately for us... Vets also have more reason to compete harder for the cup and we NEED PK defenceman not a 5 million dollar 2nd rate PK defenceman

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Devron said:

2.5 is my number as well. Fair after he cashed in already.

myers is worth more, many of you will be surprised what he gets.

imagine having Myers and cole for 5 million combined... and some people want zadorov for 5M based off like 7-8 games...

Not sure why Zadorov's 1.5 minutes is worth 1.5 million dollars more than Soucy's 17 minutes he play's.

im also not sure why people are gun shy with Myers... hes played great in a reduced role as a bottom tier 4th defenceman

if the combined AAV of Myers and Cole is within 2 million dollars of Zad i know where id be spending my money...

PK PK PK

7 hours ago, MidKnight Ego said:

imagine having Myers and cole for 5 million combined... and some people want zadorov for 5M based off like 7-8 games...

Not sure why Zadorov's 1.5 minutes is worth 1.5 million dollars more than Soucy's 17 minutes he play's.

im also not sure why people are gun shy with Myers... hes played great in a reduced role as a bottom tier 4th defenceman

if the combined AAV of Myers and Cole is within 2 million dollars of Zad i know where id be spending my money...

PK PK PK

He's played ok with partners that can help him. Hes never been the better partner on a pairing. Time to set him free.

• ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, MidKnight Ego said:

PK PK PK

It’s true, though.  There’s a lot to consider when building the back end next year and nothing can be taken off the table - least of all veterans with good size who might take nice deals to stay with the club. 

I like the comment about going with cheaper, shorter deals for Cole/Myers > Zadorov - and I’ve really liked Zadorov.  

Especially if we’re chasing an upgrade on 2nd pair RD.  

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

the question is, who would replace Myers? 

It'd be easier to guess around free agency. But with Soucy and Zadorov. I don't think we are desperate for size anymore. Bogo is a RHD UFA, Tony Stretcher, Lyubushkin, Zaitsev. Guys that can be had on the cheaper side for little term. Demelo, Montour and Pesce on the higher end side, but with Willander on the horizon. I'd rather go for a cheaper shorter term guy like Tanev or Erik Johnson or something. Again, being so far from Free Agency it's hard to pinpoint a replacement. But there are a bunch of potential options that don't make bad plays routinely like the Chaos Giraffe.

13 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Meyers was moving up and down the ice quite nicely against SJ. Where or if he fits with Vancouver next year could easily be decided by how the team peforms in playoffs. My fear is that Meyers gets exposed by better playoff teams. Slotting him into a 3RD slot takes that TOI away from a younger player who could use it to develop their game. If he does take that slot then how much term do you have to offer to get him resigned? Probably to much. 

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Meyers was moving up and down the ice quite nicely against SJ. Where or if he fits with Vancouver next year could easily be decided by how the team peforms in playoffs. My fear is that Meyers gets exposed by better playoff teams. Slotting him into a 3RD slot takes that TOI away from a younger player who could use it to develop their game. If he does take that slot then how much term do you have to offer to get him resigned? Probably to much. 

Juulsen might be able to step up and take some minutes away from Myers.  You can play Juulsen with Zadorov and then put Soucy and Myers back together as the 3rd pairing.

Zadorov likes to carry the puck up the ice and all the way into the offensive zone, similar to Myers.  Juulsen can lay back and be the defensive guy on that pairing.  It's an experiment I think Tocchet will try when Soucy is back.  Myers on the 3rd pairing is ideal IMO.  Let's hope Juulsen can step up and play an extra 2-3 minutes a night.

• Cheers 1

Term was apparently the issue with Zadorov.

I wonder how much he is willing to give up on AAV.  He is a 4-5 guy, but he does bring a skill set that complements our team.

5 years is probably a max term, that will take him to 34.

$4mill x 5 maybe gets it done one would hope