[Report]: Term the main priority for Nikita Zadorov’s camp in extension talks with Canucks

26 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

So say they sign Z to a contract, does Soucy play the right side?

LHD

QH $7.85M (way more soon enough)

Hronek $7 - $7.85M (higher??)

Soucy $3.25M

Big Z $4M

Juulsen $775K

Approx $24M for just five skaters. Some young guys will need to make the jump.

I like Big Z but it does feel like this team needs another $6M type Dman? Or is strength by committee the best path forward? Will be interesting to see how Mgmt handles this. I assume extension was a heavy consideration when they traded for him.

soucy and zadorov are both ideally number 5 guys, so in a perfect world you get a legit top 4 right d and another bottom pairing right d. 

34 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

5 Years, $22.5 Million, $4.5 million per?

No Myers we're still saving $1.5 million.

I love it!! I'd offer 5 at 22.5 💯 4.5 is the number I've been thinking to keep him. We're winning and an up and coming team, beautiful city... these things factor in. Big Z fits well on the market he'd be overpaid but likely not to a up and coming squad like we can provide in a top 4 role... lock it in!!!

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Someone likely will, methinks.
Strong chance he ups his value with us as well during this season. Especially if he becomes a 2nd paring partner if we acquire another top 4 D.

let someone else give it to him then. 

this team has to be past the point of $5 mil+ number 4-6 defencemen. 

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

Get Pettersson and Hronek re-signed first, then explore the possibility of re-signing Zadorov based on remaining cap space.

Essentially this.

As expected, Zadorov has been a great addition, but no way should he be getting first priority with any projected cap-space.

Just now, tas said:

let someone else give it to him then. 

this team has to be past the point of $5 mil+ number 4-6 defencemen. 

I disagree. If he becomes a solid fit that can root himself into a top 4, then that’s a fair price, no? I mean, if he raises his market value during this season then in pursuit of any improvement in UFA Dmen to replace him, you’re going to overpay for them too in contrast. 

I think if he makes a case for it and truly solidifies our d corps, we pay him. We have some solid roots on the back end already set…he’ could be a great add to that in the interim of prospect development. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

5 Years, $22.5 Million, $4.5 million per?

No Myers we're still saving $1.5 million.

That's pretty rich for my taste, but probably the upper limit of what I'd be willing to give him.  

Hoping that the cap keeps jumping up by 3-4 million each of the next years and that his 4.5 million in more manageable by the end of it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Cap says can only sign 2 of 3 out of Zadorov Cole and Myers for next year.  Clearly sign Zad first then try to get one of the other two for 3M or less.

We can afford a couple of +/- $4m D on the 2nd pair Zadorov and...?

Neither Myers or Cole is likely going to be back.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

So say they sign Z to a contract, does Soucy play the right side?

LHD

QH $7.85M (way more soon enough)

Hronek $7 - $7.85M (higher??)

Soucy $3.25M

Big Z $4M

Juulsen $775K

Approx $24M for just five skaters. Some young guys will need to make the jump.

I like Big Z but it does feel like this team needs another $6M type Dman? Or is strength by committee the best path forward? Will be interesting to see how Mgmt handles this. I assume extension was a heavy consideration when they traded for him.

Horonek is RHD

Juulsen is RHD

Canucks Dmen shooting handedness are as follows.  

LHD          RHD

Hughes     Horonek 

Zadorov    Myers 

Soucy       Juulsen 

Cole          Friedman 

Brisebois  

Juulsen is a pleasant surprise.  Missing out on Bear isn't a big deal with the way Juulsen has progressed.

Solid 6/7 Dman signed thru next year for league minimum is great. 

We still need one more RHD hopefully JR and PA can swing a deal for a good one. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Zadorov is exactly the type of player that teams look for come playoffs. 

6’6” 248 lbs, one of the biggest players in the league and uses it to his advantage. Has already proven that the Canucks stars are protected. 
Can skate and pass exceptionally well for a player of his size. This type of player is essential for a playoff team. 

Yep lock the big dude up. We've had enough small tweeners already. We don't have to wonder if he'll perform.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

And if Petey doesn't want to resign this year? GM's can't control the timing for every situation. 

If Pettersson chooses not to re-sign, then that obviously changes the forecast.

Ideally, in a situation where all the UFAs want to come back, I'm just hoping we prioritize accordingly.

Just now, SV. said:

If Pettersson chooses not to re-sign, then that obviously changes the forecast.

Ideally, in a situation where all the UFAs want to come back, I'm just hoping we prioritize accordingly.

I don't see the issue, as long as they don't overpay in salary for Z there's lots of room for Petey.

• Cheers 1