[Report]: Term the main priority for Nikita Zadorov’s camp in extension talks with Canucks

2 hours ago, tas said:

soucy and zadorov are both ideally number 5 guys, so in a perfect world you get a legit top 4 right d and another bottom pairing right d. 

If you get another legit top 4 RD you don't need another 3rd pair guy unless you trade away Myers. 

Hughes     Horonek 

Soucy       Top4RD

Zadorov    Myers

Cole          Juulsen 

Brisebois  Friedman 

Zad Myers are becoming a very solid shut down pair. I don't think Mgmt want to break them up. Their size and emerging chemistry will be great in the playoffs. 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

If you get another legit top 4 RD you don't need another 3rd pair guy unless you trade away Myers. 

Hughes     Horonek 

Soucy       Top4RD

Zadorov    Myers

Cole          Juulsen 

Brisebois  Friedman 

Zad Myers are becoming a very solid shut down pair. I don't think Mgmt want to break them up. Their size and emerging chemistry will be great in the playoffs. 

I like Zadorov with Myers pairing. And I think Zadorov is the perfect partner for Myers. Gudbranson had the best season of his career on a pair with Zadorov. Overall, I think Myers is a better version of Gudbranson. These 2 together can make a very solid 3rd pairing. I wouldn't mind keeping Myers at a lower caphit in an extension.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

4.5mil seems like a lot for a fringe top 4 guy. Tanev barely even get that and he at least consistently averages top 4 ice time. 4mil for 5 years. Get er done.

find it funny ppl using contracts signed 4-5 years ago as comparison.. the cap would have gone up by close to 10% since when those contracts were signed..  cap goes up = players new contract goes up

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I think Myers will take less to stay like 3.5 .

Zad will be around 4.5 for 4 years.

Cole I highly doubt we resign.

Either a BB or Garland trade has to happen if we want to stay competitive.

Then signing EP around 10.5 to 11 for 6 to 8 years.

Hronek will command 6 to 7 long term

We will need some fillers or players to step up from the minors.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

34 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

4.5mil seems like a lot for a fringe top 4 guy. Tanev barely even get that and he at least consistently averages top 4 ice time. 4mil for 5 years. Get er done.

Not one who possesses the size and ability to use it. Tanev spent massive parts of many seasons injured. Some larger players aren’t worth their contracts because they don’t use their size effectively. That’s not the case with Zadorov. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

I’d rather trade Kuz instead of BB or Garland.  Kuz not working well enough in Tocchet system.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not one who possesses the size and ability to use it. Tanev spent massive parts of many seasons injured. Some larger players aren’t worth their contracts because they don’t use their size effectively. That’s not the case with Zadorov. 

Size, ya got me. Lets give him 6x6

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, RWJC said:

I disagree. If he becomes a solid fit that can root himself into a top 4, then that’s a fair price, no? I mean, if he raises his market value during this season then in pursuit of any improvement in UFA Dmen to replace him, you’re going to overpay for them too in contrast. 

I think if he makes a case for it and truly solidifies our d corps, we pay him. We have some solid roots on the back end already set…he’ could be a great add to that in the interim of prospect development. 

he's had a decade or whatever in the league to make a case as a top 4 and he has not done so in any consistent way and there's really no indication at all we should expect that to change. it was far likelier that myers would be a consistent top 4 than it is zadorov will be. 

5 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Hughes     Horonek 

Soucy       Top4RD

Zadorov    Myers

Cole          Juulsen 

Brisebois  Friedman 

I'm talking about for next year and beyond. 

If we can keep him under 4M long-term I'd be happy with that. Going forward we've only got Soucy for 3 years and I doubt he'll elevate his game to become a 20+ minute top-4 defenceman, so sits on our bottom pairing as a great 5th guy quite well. Zadorov really is a 4-5th guy. He's only averaging around 17-18 minutes but already is a +5 and that's while playing mainly with Myers so fair play to him.

No way he can command 4-5M+, he has brought almost zero offence to the Canucks (mainly the role he's been given by the coaches) and doesn't log massive minutes but is impactful and technically is our 5th guy right now (considering Myers as our 4th guy). No one playing that role should be getting more than 4M really.

3.75M for 5-7 years? I'd do it. 

Then we snag Hronek for what..7 to 7.5M (surely can't get more than Hughes as a barometer). 

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - ?

Soucy - ?

Would be nice to keep that base locked down for a while and then just rotate older veterans/UFAs/kids in through the lineup and of course it helps that Zadorov can play the right side for flexibility. I'd like to keep one of Cole or Myers on the cheap for a year in the off-season too. They're both having pretty decent years to be honest but I think Cole will (already is) slow down after the playoffs whereas Myers has really looked pretty good. 40 point pace, 20 minutes a night, decent +/- and passes the eye test this year more games than not.

• Cheers 3

What’s important to players is total money of course 4.5x 5 is the same as 3.75 x6 

I could actually see either 

he is a no. 4 guy at best but in the brief time I’ve seen Soucy - he has pleasantly surprised.

next year we will need a 2nd pair RD or a stellar no. 3 D man on L who is so good Soucy or Zads can play comfortably on the R 5v5 

the forward group is good but there are 2 issues 

1. Garland - over payed but drives his line 

2. Petey’s linemates 

Some interesting forward UFA options this offseason 

Sam Reinhardt - RW/C Vancouver boy

Playing best hockey of his career 

how good would he look on Peteys wing 

Lindholm

chandler Stephenson - could play 2C and move Miller up to Peteys line 

marchessault, nylander are too one dimensional for me but still interesting 

out - Kuzy, Garland, 

in Reinhardt and Kapanen (cheap garland replacement)

Edited by canucks curse

7 hours ago, cripplereh said:

This is pretty much how I see it as well. Similar in numbers anyway; I don't have a problem giving Zad term if it'll knock 250-500k off his AAV. I would add the possibility of moving Kuz instead of BB or Garland as well, if say Holglander can stick in the top 6 and another prospect pushes up/Lekkerimaki makes the jump.

Edited by Ralph.

1 hour ago, Coryberg said:

Ummm.... you scratched your 3rd best defenceman.

Lol

i would love cole on a 3 year two way deal once he slows down too much for nhl he can go to Abby stay in lower mainland and Mentor willander, mcward, bruster but not have to move his family and be available for call up 

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

If we can keep him under 4M long-term I'd be happy with that. Going forward we've only got Soucy for 3 years and I doubt he'll elevate his game to become a 20+ minute top-4 defenceman, so sits on our bottom pairing as a great 5th guy quite well. Zadorov really is a 4-5th guy. He's only averaging around 17-18 minutes but already is a +5 and that's while playing mainly with Myers so fair play to him.

No way he can command 4-5M+, he has brought almost zero offence to the Canucks (mainly the role he's been given by the coaches) and doesn't log massive minutes but is impactful and technically is our 5th guy right now (considering Myers as our 4th guy). No one playing that role should be getting more than 4M really.

3.75M for 5-7 years? I'd do it. 

Then we snag Hronek for what..7 to 7.5M (surely can't get more than Hughes as a barometer). 

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - ?

Soucy - ?

Would be nice to keep that base locked down for a while and then just rotate older veterans/UFAs/kids in through the lineup and of course it helps that Zadorov can play the right side for flexibility. I'd like to keep one of Cole or Myers on the cheap for a year in the off-season too. They're both having pretty decent years to be honest but I think Cole will (already is) slow down after the playoffs whereas Myers has really looked pretty good. 40 point pace, 20 minutes a night, decent +/- and passes the eye test this year more games than not.

Probably going to need a raise from his current $3.75 but yup, if term is really more important.... Something like $3.85 x 6 or $4.15 x 5.... Maybe... 🤞

Man we could use a trade for Zub or similar...

Hughes, Hronek/Zub

Zadorov, Hronek/Zub

Soucy, cheap ELC/vet

Friedman, Juulsen

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Horonek is RHD

Juulsen is RHD

Canucks Dmen shooting handedness are as follows.  

LHD          RHD

Hughes     Horonek 

Zadorov    Myers 

Soucy       Juulsen 

Cole          Friedman 

Brisebois  

Juulsen is a pleasant surprise.  Missing out on Bear isn't a big deal with the way Juulsen has progressed.

Solid 6/7 Dman signed thru next year for league minimum is great. 

We still need one more RHD hopefully JR and PA can swing a deal for a good one. 

Hronek makes $4.4M right now and that might almost double next year. The spend on the defence will be tight if Z or Soucy play in the 5th Dman spot. Between $30 - $31M for seven D, which would be one of the more expensive in the league. Can be done but puts pressure on the forward group. I guess it depends on which Abby prospects Mgmt sees as NHL ready to fill spots.

$7.85M $7.85M

$4.25M $5 - 6M

$3.25M $900K

$775K 

Man. This cap era of the NHL; so much of hockey discussion involves money. I know it's part of NHL hockey and always has been. It really just sucks though. It's almost a fear based league now with regard to, will they? Won't they? Can we? Will we? If we, if they.........on an' on..........anywho. as far as the topic........

Yea. I like Zads. He's a keeper. Let's get 'er done!