[Report]: Term the main priority for Nikita Zadorov’s camp in extension talks with Canucks

14 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Get Pettersson and Hronek re-signed first, then explore the possibility of re-signing Zadorov based on remaining cap space.

This. Those two are far more important for our success than Zadorov, and then we can see if his ask still fits after the negotiations are underway.

I've said it before, but everyone has to buy in to keep the group together. Even on friendly deals it'll be a lot of cap and we may still have to move someone, and definitely have players performing on value contracts to round it all out. Players like Zadorov will have to want to win as much if not more than get a payday. Term security replaces $$$ security in these cases, so it seems he's leaning that way, but we'll see what Allvin can do with all the contracts coming up.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, tas said:

he's had a decade or whatever in the league to make a case as a top 4 and he has not done so in any consistent way and there's really no indication at all we should expect that to change. it was far likelier that myers would be a consistent top 4 than it is zadorov will be. 

When your D UFA crop is as thin as it might be this offseason, Zadorov becomes a very intriguing piece and scarcity drives up value. 
He’s also been on some teams that had a bit of a log jam above him on D already when he played for them.

Again, not saying he IS a bonafide top 4, but he may get his chance here to play as one and that might give other GMs the idea that he could be a definitive top 4 on their club. It very much depends on who’s on what roster and it’s status  (Eg. OEL this season).

Zaddy Wiki:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikita_Zadorov

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

If we can keep him under 4M long-term I'd be happy with that. Going forward we've only got Soucy for 3 years and I doubt he'll elevate his game to become a 20+ minute top-4 defenceman, so sits on our bottom pairing as a great 5th guy quite well. Zadorov really is a 4-5th guy. He's only averaging around 17-18 minutes but already is a +5 and that's while playing mainly with Myers so fair play to him.

No way he can command 4-5M+, he has brought almost zero offence to the Canucks (mainly the role he's been given by the coaches) and doesn't log massive minutes but is impactful and technically is our 5th guy right now (considering Myers as our 4th guy). No one playing that role should be getting more than 4M really.

3.75M for 5-7 years? I'd do it. 

Then we snag Hronek for what..7 to 7.5M (surely can't get more than Hughes as a barometer). 

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - ?

Soucy - ?

Would be nice to keep that base locked down for a while and then just rotate older veterans/UFAs/kids in through the lineup and of course it helps that Zadorov can play the right side for flexibility. I'd like to keep one of Cole or Myers on the cheap for a year in the off-season too. They're both having pretty decent years to be honest but I think Cole will (already is) slow down after the playoffs whereas Myers has really looked pretty good. 40 point pace, 20 minutes a night, decent +/- and passes the eye test this year more games than not.

He's already making $3.75m which translates to 4.55% of the cap when he signed that deal.  4.55% of next years cap puts him a little over $4m.  Considering there's likely to be a fair bit of interest in him I doubt he takes a pay cut (% wise) to sign in Vancouver 

Edited by qwijjibo
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, 6 x 6 is a bit much, especially considering that Hronek and Pettersson need new contracts, so that’s an overpayment. Might want to chill and think it through a little more. 

Jeez, people seem pretty touchy about 6x6 contracts around here. Such a nice round number. Can't imagine a contract like that for a giant defenceman not looking good long term.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

I think 4.25 x 5 sounds about right. 

That puts Zadorov very close to the contract that Graves just signed. Similar aged players and both over 6'5" but, other than Zadorov's outlier year last season where he scored 14 goals, Graves has been a better player offensively, defensively, and has averaged more ice-time over the last 5 seasons. The only thing Zadorov really has over Graves is that Zadorov is more physical. Personally I wouldn't go anywhere over $4M/year for Zadorov.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Devron said:

That’s fair. Im willing to let him go if he’s taking over 5 million even 4 like I said. Top line Dmen should get 5-6. The elite a lot more. But that’s my opinion. I’m not paying a 4th Dman 5 million, been there done that 

Canucks need to be willing to walk away if his ask is too high, it's not like they gave up much 

He's maybe a 4, large and a good skater or not

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Assuming we sign or trade for the much needed top 4 RHD we need, I think it will be closer to: 

$7.85, +/-$7.5

+/-$4, $4.5-$5.5

$3.25, +/-$1-$1.5

+/-, $800k, +/-, $800k

Which should be just fine and still allow raises for everyone else.

He was a "rare player" people here were willing to give up like 1sts + Hoglander to get too... But in reality, only cost a 5th and a 3rd (2 years from now). He's a solid role player, and he fits what we need very well and is due a moderate raise. But unless he wants to go to a crap team, for every last dollar, he should come in around +/-$4m. It's simply his market value (Graves being an excellent, higher end comparable @Diamonds). Especially if he cares more about term than every last dollar, as being reported here. And that's not surprising for a guy that's moved as much as he has. Give him 4-6 years and a small raise and I think he'd happily stay on what's proving to be a well run team, that's trending up, in a nice city.

Exactly this. In fact, here's what I was coming up with this morning for next season (minus an added top 4 D):

*Edit: Oof, gonna work on these images and see if I can get them to fit better.

**Edit: Good enough for now.

Roster.png

Signings.png

Edited by Ralph.

14 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

We still need one more RHD hopefully JR and PA can swing a deal for a good one. 

And his name is Tom Willander, once this guy is in the lineup our top 4 is set, obviously everything needs to align just right but he has the skill set we need.

• ThereItIs 2

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Canucks need to be willing to walk away if his ask is too high, it's not like they gave up much 

He's maybe a 4, large and a good skater or not

That is a thing that I am totally confident in with the management team in place, they know when to hold 'em, and when to fold 'em. They are staunch in their collective approach, and will not waver until the end game is met (Lord Stanley coming home)

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

That is a thing that I am totally confident in with the management team in place, they know when to hold 'em, and when to fold 'em. They are staunch in their collective approach, and will not waver until the end game is met (Lord Stanley coming home)

Realistically they'll probably just try and flip his rights if Nikita's ask doesn't align with their vision and I'd be fine with that 

Open to keeping him, absolutely, not interested in paying him as a 4 if Soucy comes back and he ends up playing 5 minutes though

Nikita brings positive attributes but I'd rather management get a longer look at him as a Canuck before extending him in order to ascertain exactly what he is 

Zadorov was a 5 in Calgary, he had Weegar, Hanifin, Tanev, and Andersson ahead of him 

I'm open to reallocating more cap from our forward group to our D, I've been saying it's something we should be doing for a while, but that doesn't mean I'm interested in overpaying guys 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, canuck73 said:

And his name is Tom Willander, once this guy is in the lineup our top 4 is set, obviously everything needs to align just right but he has the skill set we need.

I don't see JR and PA sitting on their hands for 3 or 4 years for Willander to become a top 4 D

I expect Willander to make the NHL the season after next and then take atleast one season likely 2 seasons before he becomes a legit top4 Dman.

And that's if everything goes right.. he's likely 4 plus seasons away. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

If it takes him to the end of his career and the cap hit is only 3.75, I don't think it's terrible for us. 

An 8 year deal terrifies me, to be honest. Big Zaddy has looked great so far, but I would definitely have concerns about him as his legs start to decline as he ages. This city has had Myers under the microscope for years, I think we will see Zad examined similarly going forward when his play dips.