[Report]: Term the main priority for Nikita Zadorov’s camp in extension talks with Canucks

Need to get this guy locked up. 

But everyone saying we need to make sure we have leftover cap space for another top-4 D to sign is dreaming - we're not going to have the cap space for that once the OEL buyout ramps up to $4 million. 

The next top-4 D is going to have to come from within the system - whether it be the likes of Willander or Brzustewicz.

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - Willander/Brzustewicz

Soucy - Juulsen

With that, we can swallow OEL's buyout during an ELC and hopefully by the end that lost cap space will re-emerge. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 12/19/2023 at 5:33 PM, qwijjibo said:

He's already making $3.75m which translates to 4.55% of the cap when he signed that deal.  4.55% of next years cap puts him a little over $4m.  Considering there's likely to be a fair bit of interest in him I doubt he takes a pay cut (% wise) to sign in Vancouver 

I'd be happy with 4M for inflation. He will get interest and maybe some silly team will offer him 4.5-5M (if Gudbranson can get that money, Zadorov can surely get a bit more) but hopefully he takes 0.5-1M pay cut to stay on a competitive team. Maybe the key will be term, offer him a decent lengthy contract and he'll surely be tempted to stay.

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd be happy with 4M for inflation. He will get interest and maybe some silly team will offer him 4.5-5M (if Gudbranson can get that money, Zadorov can surely get a bit more) but hopefully he takes 0.5-1M pay cut to stay on a competitive team. Maybe the key will be term, offer him a decent lengthy contract and he'll surely be tempted to stay.

A guy who is 6'5", can accelerate to over 35kmph on Ice and is one of the fastest sustained (not acceleration) skaters in the league, contribute offensively, and is a physically intimidating guy anywhere on the ice. A guy who is defensively responsible and can easily clear the net and will only be 29 years old at UFA, you don't think teams would jump to do 7 years at 4.5 or 5 million with the cap now cleared to rise freely again?

The only reason Myers cap hit looked so bad was due to the flat cap. If Covid hadn't happened and we were on track with new broadcasting agreements to be around 95 million cap right now. In that perspective, Myers would still be considered a little high, but not significantly so.

With that in mind, do you think that if Zadorov was on another team and the Canucks were chasing him in free agency that they wouldn't go up to say, 5 million for 6 or 7 years to reign him in if they could avoid a full NMC? I'd say that about 70% of the teams in this league would do that.

I'd be really ecstatic  if we could lock him up on a rising cap at around 4.5 million cap hit for 5 - 7 years as long as we can maintain no more than a 10 - 12 team NTC. Assuming the cap is now going to move freely again, that means we'd be around a 100 million cap in the NHL by the time the contract expires. Just don't construct it in a way that we couldn't do a buyout if we really needed to.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

To reiterate:

Nikita Zadorov is a 6’6” 248 lbs left handed defenseman who can actually play the game adequately with elite skill level players. He’s the second largest (not tallest) player in the league after Jamie Oleksiak, but is a far more physical player, who is known for his well orchestrated and massive hits. 

He’s a solid player who’s already endeared himself to this team and has embraced not only his physical role with the Canucks, but also being a responsible player in his own end. He’s struck chemistry with Tyler Myers, and their pairing has been outstandingly reliable, as well as having a definite effect on how the opposition enters the zone. 

There was a time when the Canucks were a pushover team that lacked backbone. This year, that’s all went away. Miller has been a force out there, both physically and skill wise. Joshua is one of the most steady forwards on the team physically. Throughout the lineup, players aren’t averse to taking the body. Part of that is having some players that are legitimately intimidating. Zadorov is one of those players. Any team in the league would die to have him on their corps. He should get a solid contract but nothing too crazy. 

And no, I don’t work for Milstein. 

Agreed. Big Z should be a priority signing. Petey first then Big Z. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

To reiterate:

Nikita Zadorov is a 6’6” 248 lbs left handed defenseman who can actually play the game adequately with elite skill level players. He’s the second largest (not tallest) player in the league after Jamie Oleksiak, but is a far more physical player, who is known for his well orchestrated and massive hits. 

He’s a solid player who’s already endeared himself to this team and has embraced not only his physical role with the Canucks, but also being a responsible player in his own end. He’s struck chemistry with Tyler Myers, and their pairing has been outstandingly reliable, as well as having a definite effect on how the opposition enters the zone. 

There was a time when the Canucks were a pushover team that lacked backbone. This year, that’s all went away. Miller has been a force out there, both physically and skill wise. Joshua is one of the most steady forwards on the team physically. Throughout the lineup, players aren’t averse to taking the body. Part of that is having some players that are legitimately intimidating. Zadorov is one of those players. Any team in the league would die to have him on their corps. He should get a solid contract but nothing too crazy. 

giphy-3.gif.f1a3f04a9cf5936e8f66b0f6bbe3d8f6.gif

• Haha 1

On 12/19/2023 at 7:54 AM, aGENT said:

Probably going to need a raise from his current $3.75 but yup, if term is really more important.... Something like $3.85 x 6 or $4.15 x 5.... Maybe... 🤞

Man we could use a trade for Zub or similar...

Hughes, Hronek/Zub

Zadorov, Hronek/Zub

Soucy, cheap ELC/vet

Friedman, Juulsen

For sure.  He’s worth his current contract but no need to get crazy.  With that said, I’d be okay with giving him some term, especially at his age and how he moves.

Its also super early to forecast too much - will be very interesting to see who gets the tougher assignments when Soucy gets healthy.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Zadorov not only has stabilized our 2nd pairing, he’s also fixed Myers in the process.  A double whammy. 

He wound easily get the Oleksiak contract on the open market. Not many players like Zadorov out there. 

4.6x5 is what Oleksiak got. I can see teams even offering him 6 years. 

Big D man, tough and can actually play... he is gonna get paid. 

If he had stayed in Calgary, he may have struggled to get as good a contract, but coming to Vancouver and showing he can play, was a good move.

GMs around the league are watching at this moment in time with open check books.

Guddy got $4M several times, and was a pylon compared to Zadorov.

Canucks will be daft not to hold on to him. Maybe term and NTC will keep the costs in check, but doubt he'll get less than 4-4.5 with term. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

21 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I think DeSmith will want more $ than what the Nucks can offer.  He'll try out UFA. 

A number of UFA's signed 1 year deals so as to cash in on an increased CAP. You are so right on DeSmith. With his season to date he will get a much higher contract or at minimum some duration. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

To reiterate:

No crazy contracts in the NHL? Nope, 'nothing crazy' is exactly what will happen. All UFA's will want to cash in on a increased CAP. The problem for PA will be resigning these guys especially if there is playoff success. He will have to do a solid sell job on the Canuck window and where they will fit. Some players are pretty bottom line and see their career success as the $'s earned. I cannot blame them for that. My impression is that Zad and Hogs fall into that category. I want them resigned but I don't make those decisions. 

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Zadorov not only has stabilized our 2nd pairing, he’s also fixed Myers in the process.  

Funny... Almost like some posters have been saying for years that Myers just needs a complementary, defense first partner to get the most out of him...😏

I'd still move him at the TDL if we have an avenue to more efficiently use that cap though 😁

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

21 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Need to get this guy locked up. 

But everyone saying we need to make sure we have leftover cap space for another top-4 D to sign is dreaming - we're not going to have the cap space for that once the OEL buyout ramps up to $4 million

Poolman expiring next year basically covers the OEL increase FWIW.

Prudent planning would not assume Willander is ready for a top 4 roll as soon as next year, on a team looking to move towards being a contender. We could still use a $4-$5m+/- Pesce/Tanev/Larsson/Jensen/Zub type for another +/-3 years. 

25 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Prudent planning would not assume Willander is ready for a top 4 roll as soon as next year, on a team looking to move towards being a contender. We could still use a $4-$5m+/- Pesce/Tanev/Larsson/Jensen/Zub type for another +/-3 years. 

I doubt there is any desire to see Willander leave college that quickly.

This isn’t Benning’s team that depends on 19 year olds to be key players. 

Now maybe when the OEL penalty really jumps we will see him come in as an option. 
Would like to see EP2 go to AHL for a season or 2 starting next. 
Lek seems only likely candidate of the PA drafted players to make an appearance end of year or next, even then I doubt it. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Poolman is on LTIR  and isnt actually costing cap space since the Canucks are allowed to exceed the cap by his $2.5m (all of which the Canucks are using).  OEL's buyout actually reduces the usable cap in a very real way.  So no, Poolmans contract (which doesn't expire until after the 24-25 season btw) doesn't cover the OEL buyout in any way. 

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

A number of UFA's signed 1 year deals so as to cash in on an increased CAP. You are so right on DeSmith. With his season to date he will get a much higher contract or at minimum some duration. 

Edmonton, for one, will be bidding on him.

They really, really need an NHL quality tender.

1 hour ago, qwijjibo said:

Poolman is on LTIR  and isnt actually costing cap space since the Canucks are allowed to exceed the cap by his $2.5m (all of which the Canucks are using).  OEL's buyout actually reduces the usable cap in a very real way.  So no, Poolmans contract (which doesn't expire until after the 24-25 season btw) doesn't cover the OEL buyout in any way. 

Dubious way of thinking about it. Yes, after the 24-25 season is when OEL's penalty is it's largest. And goes up ~$2.4m from next year.

39 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Edmonton, for one, will be bidding on him.

They really, really need an NHL quality tender.

They need a legit starter. DeSmith is a really good backup, but he's not a legit 1A.

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Funny... Almost like some posters have been saying for years that Myers just needs a complementary, defense first partner to get the most out of him...😏

I'd still move him at the TDL if we have an avenue to more efficiently use that cap though 😁

It’s also worth noting that Myers was also “fixed” playing alongside Soucy.

I’d be interested to see a comparison of his numbers with Carson vs Nikita but that’s been Myers’ MO for years.  Give him a solid veteran partner and support from the forwards and suddenly he looks just fine. 

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 2

I’d try to sign him for 6 years ,

that’s the same timeline as JT ‘s contract.

Both would be UFA’s at the end of 2029-30.

Run the same Clauses on the same timeline.

my reasoning is if this team is in need of another overhaul in 4 or more years,  those 2 might package well for a fantastic return to do it with.

If it is 6 years ,   I’d do 4 to 4.25 , either flat across or incrementally descending.

Either way ,  I’m trust this management group and Coaching staff.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1