[Report]: Term the main priority for Nikita Zadorov’s camp in extension talks with Canucks

No need to rush into this one if the numbers don’t make sense.

Let’s see how he continues to fit into this team. How does he respond if he starts to struggle? There’s still boxes that need to be checked for me.

If we’re offering him like 5 years you’re basically saying he’s going to be a core piece of this teams prime years. You better be sure he’s the right guy. They should be under no pressure to feel like they have to sign him with the low acquisition cost though.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

They should be under no pressure to feel like they have to sign him with the low acquisition cost though.

Yep, we got a 3rd round pick for Schenn last year as a rental at the deadline, the 5th round pick is good value for 3 extra months of play.

If we have him for 2/3rds of a season and a playoff run I wouldn't be upset if we went another direction. It's already a no lose situation (assuming he stays healthy)

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

No need to rush into this one if the numbers don’t make sense.

Let’s see how he continues to fit into this team. How does he respond if he starts to struggle? There’s still boxes that need to be checked for me.

If we’re offering him like 5 years you’re basically saying he’s going to be a core piece of this teams prime years. You better be sure he’s the right guy. They should be under no pressure to feel like they have to sign him with the low acquisition cost though.

I think Zadorov's been pretty good for the team since he's come here. He's really helped Myers. I wonder if he could take Cole's place in the defensive line up moving forward. I doubt Cole is coming back here. If he is, he's not getting 3M that's for sure. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

I think Zadorov's been pretty good for the team since he's come here. He's really helped Myers. I wonder if he could take Cole's place in the defensive line up moving forward. I doubt Cole is coming back here. If he is, he's not getting 3M that's for sure. 

Man coles been holding down the fort with juulsen and has answered every task asked of him, I have been nothing but impressed with him this season and would take that same contract all over again next season 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Meyers was moving up and down the ice quite nicely against SJ. Where or if he fits with Vancouver next year could easily be decided by how the team peforms in playoffs. My fear is that Meyers gets exposed by better playoff teams. Slotting him into a 3RD slot takes that TOI away from a younger player who could use it to develop their game. If he does take that slot then how much term do you have to offer to get him resigned? Probably to much. 

If he wants too much term, then I'd rather just pass on the guy, and sign someone else. The only question is who. At the moment, I don't see anyone on the farm taking his place. I've heard other posters on here saying that Woo might be the next call up for if a defenseman goes down (especially on the right side), but I haven't watched Woo closely this season, and I don't know if he could slot into a top four role on the backend. 

Just now, Captain insano said:

Man coles been holding down the fort with juulsen and has answered every task asked of him, I have been nothing but impressed with him this season and would take that same contract all over again next season 

Sure. He'll probably get 3M, but that's not coming from the Canucks. They got no cap (at least not at the moment). 

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

If he wants too much term, then I'd rather just pass on the guy, and sign someone else. The only question is who. At the moment, I don't see anyone on the farm taking his place. I've heard other posters on here saying that Woo might be the next call up for if a defenseman goes down (especially on the right side), but I haven't watched Woo closely this season, and I don't know if he could slot into a top four role on the backend. 

I think the run to playoffs and the actual playoffs will tell us a lot. Is Zad a viable 2LD? I think it is early to say that he is. I don't think Meyers is. I say this based on a serious CUP contending roster not a regular season one. How does PA give either Zad or Meyers term if they are not viewed as top 4 d-men? Especially true when you look at the time line on d-men in Abby and our prospects in the NCAA and the CHL. Giving Meyers and Zad term will delay alternatives from getting TOI. 

7 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I think the run to playoffs and the actual playoffs will tell us a lot. Is Zad a viable 2LD? I think it is early to say that he is. I don't think Meyers is. I say this based on a serious CUP contending roster not a regular season one. How does PA give either Zad or Meyers term if they are not viewed as top 4 d-men? Especially true when you look at the time line on d-men in Abby and our prospects in the NCAA and the CHL. Giving Meyers and Zad term will delay alternatives from getting TOI. 

Yeah, I agree in that the run to the playoffs and the playoffs itself will tell us a lot about Zadorov's play and whether he deserves the term he and his agent is asking for. So far, he's been good though. Myers, I think has to take a short term deal especially if he's the one who wants to remain in blue and green. Maybe the allure of being close to home during the season at this stage of his career will cause him to sign a short term deal and one that's far cheaper than the one he was on the last six years here. 

I'd hate for the Canucks to get out from under one massive contract in Myers, only to be bound to another one in Zadorov. That would not be good for a franchise that is already going to be even more cap strapped moving forward

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, I agree in that the run to the playoffs and the playoffs itself will tell us a lot about Zadorov's play and whether he deserves the term he and his agent is asking for. So far, he's been good though. Myers, I think has to take a short term deal especially if he's the one who wants to remain in blue and green. Maybe the allure of being close to home during the season at this stage of his career will cause him to sign a short term deal and one that's far cheaper than the one he was on the last six years here. 

I'd hate for the Canucks to get out from under one massive contract in Myers, only to be bound to another one in Zadorov. That would not be good for a franchise that is already going to be even more cap strapped moving forward

How certain players view life and how their hockey careers fit is an unknown to us. Meyers has made a lot of money in his career and might take a haircut to stay a Canuck, especially since the team is headed for CUP contention. I guess I still go back to how PA will assess Meyers as a 3RD and how that ight impact development of younger prospects.  

• Like 1

What am I reading here???

Z has been exactly what we were missing for all these years. Big strong guy that can hit and skate and pretty good awareness. 

I would lock him up immediately if the asking price isn't over the moon. 

Myers and Cole need to go before Z. 

I would then get a proper 3D (no more 5Ds like Myers and Cole) and pair him up with Z who will play 4D

5D would be Soucy and I'd try him with whoever is left between Cole Myers and Juulsen 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

35 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Z has been exactly what we were missing for all these years. Big strong guy that can hit and skate and pretty good awareness. 

I would then get a proper 3D (no more 5Ds like Myers and Cole) and pair him up with Z who will play 4D

5D would be Soucy and I'd try him with whoever is left between Cole Myers and Juulsen 

Isnt Zad historically a number 5 guy?

1 hour ago, Dizzle said:

Isnt Zad historically a number 5 guy?

Historically. but the guy is 28 and thinks he can do better than 5D.

He may be right because we had Myers as a top 4 last season and if we consider Myers and Cole as adequate 5D this year, Z has been much better than those 2 which makes me think he'd be fine as a 4D beside a reliable 3D

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Cole is #3 on this blueline in ice time. Far from a #5 D who Zadorov has been this season on Calgary, the Canucks and most of his career.

I would much rather bring Cole back for another year at 3 million instead of Zadorov at 4.5 x 5. Better D man at better term and better price point.

Just now, Coryberg said:

Cole is #3 on this blueline in ice time. Far from a #5 D who Zadorov has been this season on Calgary, the Canucks and most of his career.

I would much rather bring Cole back for another year at 3 million instead of Zadorov at 4.5 x 5. Better D man at better term and better price point.

Wow I'd have to disagree. 

From everything I've seen since he got here, Z has been better than Cole, Myers and Juulsen 

That's not knocking Cole either. I like all our guys but the team defence has changed since Z got here. Everyone is playing bigger with Z in the lineup. 

20 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Historically. but the guy is 28 and thinks he can do better than 5D.

He may be right because we had Myers as a top 4 last season and if we consider Myers and Cole as adequate 5D this year, Z has been much better than those 2 which makes me think he'd be fine as a 4D beside a reliable 3D

I don't know who the d-coach is in Calgary. Foote spent time with Zadorov in Denver a few years back. IMHO what Van has going on the coaching side is exceptional. 8 coaches on the ice during a practice? What NHL team has that and the quality of those coaches on top of it. Zad has to show us whether he is a 2nd pairing d-man on a serious CUP contender. He definitely has the coaches that can help him get there in Foote and Gonchar. That said he will have compete from Soucy who returns soon. I still consider the right side the bigger problem. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I don't know who the d-coach is in Calgary. Foote spent time with Zadorov in Denver a few years back. IMHO what Van has going on the coaching side is exceptional. 8 coaches on the ice during a practice? What NHL team has that and the quality of those coaches on top of it. Zad has to show us whether he is a 2nd pairing d-man on a serious CUP contender. He definitely has the coaches that can help him get there in Foote and Gonchar. That said he will have compete from Soucy who returns soon. I still consider the right side the bigger problem. 

Im hoping some of the players leave a little bit of money on the table to become better players in Vancouver. 

The transformation of Miller, Boeser, Joshua and a bunch of others is a testament that the players are improving with better coaching. This bodes well for their potential future earnings if they learn a complete game in Vancouver 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Wow I'd have to disagree. 

From everything I've seen since he got here, Z has been better than Cole, Myers and Juulsen 

That's not knocking Cole either. I like all our guys but the team defence has changed since Z got here. Everyone is playing bigger with Z in the lineup. 

Coles the better over all d man for sure.  Z just looks fun to watch cause he lays dudes out.  Which we need as well... so hard choice.

• ThereItIs 1

44 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

Coles the better over all d man for sure.  Z just looks fun to watch cause he lays dudes out.  Which we need as well... so hard choice.

Why do you say that? 

Here's what I noticed recently. 

Since he's been here, we are something like 8-1-2.

Z has been on for a few goals against which seemed to have mostly been broken coverage on zone defence with Myers. Along the walls, he's really strong and separates the puck from the puck carrier. 

Z seems really good defending off the rush in transition defence as he has the size and mobility to keep up with the forwards. 

Recently, he's also shown a strong ability to skate the puck out of danger like Myers does when he's at his best. 

Here's what I noticed of Cole. 

He's usually in the right place blocking passing lanes and shooting lanes. He makes opportunistic hits like most of our defence now. 

Cole's also been on a few goals against mainly from inability to clear the puck / turning it over, clearing the puck over the glass for a penalty etc. 

When looking at size, skating, physical play, Zadorov has the edge. 

When looking at positional defence, Cole has a slight edge 

Shooting, Z has the edge

Passing is about equal. 

Z has much more upside and I would argue that he is also coincidentally the better defender currently. 

I actually wouldn't mind seeing a Cole Zadorov pairing once Soucy is back and put Myers and Soucy together on the 3rd pairing. The 2 looked good together earlier this season. If Z and Cole work out, a 3rd pairing of Myers and Soucy would be the best 3rd pairing in the league 

5 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Why do you say that? 

Here's what I noticed recently. 

Since he's been here, we are something like 8-1-2.

Z has been on for a few goals against which seemed to have mostly been broken coverage on zone defence with Myers. Along the walls, he's really strong and separates the puck from the puck carrier. 

Z seems really good defending off the rush in transition defence as he has the size and mobility to keep up with the forwards. 

Recently, he's also shown a strong ability to skate the puck out of danger like Myers does when he's at his best. 

Here's what I noticed of Cole. 

He's usually in the right place blocking passing lanes and shooting lanes. He makes opportunistic hits like most of our defence now. 

Cole's also been on a few goals against mainly from inability to clear the puck / turning it over, clearing the puck over the glass for a penalty etc. 

When looking at size, skating, physical play, Zadorov has the edge. 

When looking at positional defence, Cole has a slight edge 

Shooting, Z has the edge

Passing is about equal. 

Z has much more upside and I would argue that he is also coincidentally the better defender currently. 

I actually wouldn't mind seeing a Cole Zadorov pairing once Soucy is back and put Myers and Soucy together on the 3rd pairing. The 2 looked good together earlier this season. If Z and Cole work out, a 3rd pairing of Myers and Soucy would be the best 3rd pairing in the league 

Without diving to deep, I think on some level a guy like Zadorov is a little bit like Suter. When he’s in the lineup he’s very effective and makes the team better. But you have to be careful about over committing to those guys financially or in term because at the end of the day  they’re role players. 

Zadorov has been a really good add to the team (and I hope he sticks around), but just because he’s really good at what he doesn’t mean we should over commit OR expect him to suddenly morph into a different player than he’s been most of his career. 

• Cheers 1