Cassie Campbell-Pascall leaving Sportsnet, joins PWHL as special advisor

King Heffy

9 hours ago, King Heffy said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/pwhl/article/cassie-campbell-pascall-leaving-sportsnet-joins-pwhl-as-special-advisor/

This is a win for both the PWHL and hockey fans across the country.  Her lack of professionalism was such a disgrace to the country it overshadowed her accomplishments on the ice.  She won't be missed.

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Likely a win-win. She wasn't good as a hockey analyst on air, but she's a womens hockey legend, so she should fit in better in this role with the PWHL.

Most definitely a good move for her and the PWHL. Honestly I'm very excited for games to begin this January.

As far as the negative bolded comments above?!?!?!?!?? How so?

She's a trailblazer for the women's game. Yea. I'll admit. It was shakey going for her in the beginning of the telecast portion of her career, but I think she did well and obviously if she didn't, she'd have been ousted long ago. I mean 2 decades? I didn't realize she was on air that long Time flies, man!

She obviously opened the door for notable women hockey players in the telecasting world; the Jennifer Botteril, Cheryl Pounder and such. Even opening up women's play by play telecasting. Now in any Women's Hockey telecast, it's all women doing the on scene work. Cassie must've truly opened the doors for that. 

On a side note though, and it's an observation that will probably change with time............

With hockey analyst panels in NHL games, (Men's Professional hockey) Cassie, Jennifer, Cheryl and whoever else female on those panels; they're at a disadvantage when it comes to subjects discussed solely to do with the NHL game. In particular, fighting, hitting, contract or cap space talk; anything not pertaining to the Women's Hockey.

I deem them to be more than qualified top notch hockey analysts. Their knowledge of the game of ice hockey is second to none; men or women. But they're pretty much shut out when topics turn to what I mentioned earlier. It's pretty much Juice, Hrudey, Elliot doing the talking when it turns to that. Then Ron, doing his job obviously, gives the floor back to Jennifer and asks about, what else, an actual game of hockey question.

As I mentioned before, given time when the PWHL rolls along, (I really hope it sticks!) the women on the NHL telecasts will be able to give thought to subjects they weren't previously able to. Change happens and it does so no matter what. That being said..........

The only blunder, and I'm sure it's 'cuz of time constraints and such, are the team jerseys. Get the logos happening soon, ladies!

Go PWHL Go!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree with Sativika here.  You guys are out of line.  Cassie Campbell cannot be bad for the hockey world but somehow good just for the PWHL.  Women's hockey is part of the hockey world and if you really think she is that unprofessional, then you obviously think she is bad for the PWHL.

Like, how can a supposed disgrace to the country be good for anything, if that's what you really think?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I agree with Sativika here.  You guys are out of line.  Cassie Campbell cannot be bad for the hockey world but somehow good just for the PWHL.  Women's hockey is part of the hockey world and if you really think she is that unprofessional, then you obviously think she is bad for the PWHL.

Like, how can a supposed disgrace to the country be good for anything, if that's what you really think?

She's not good on air. She's likely great in other spaces. I'm not sure how that's hard to understand.

As an accountant, I would be terrible in media, but my skills are valued in a spreadsheet. I could have the same level of knowledge as a public business leader but simply apply my skills and knowledge differently.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

She's not good on air. She's likely great in other spaces. I'm not sure how that's hard to understand.

As an accountant, I would be terrible in media, but my skills are valued in a spreadsheet. I could have the same level of knowledge as a public business leader but simply apply my skills and knowledge differently.

For an example we should all know, Corey Hirsch isn't a good commentator but does great work promoting mental health in hockey.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sativika said:

she'd she should have been ousted long ago. I mean 2 decades? I didn't realize she was on air that long Time flies, man!

Yes @Sativika, Time Certainly Does Fly, especially when you Always Put 'The Panel' on VFF FWD* and never (Never!) listen to a word they spew.

[Elementary English; Anachronyms: e.g. *VFF = Very FN Fast.  And therefore: VFF FWD = Very Fn Fast, Fast ForWard]

Yay!  No more Cassie Campbell!  Yay!  Yay!  Yay!!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, 112 said:

Lots of people in this thread can't seem to handle it when women have success in the hockey world. Sad!

Even the people who don't like her have been wishing her luck in her new position and agree it's a better fit.  I enjoy Botteril and Pounder and think both are insightful and professional.  

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, 112 said:

Lots of people in this thread can't seem to handle it when women have success in the hockey world. Sad!

If you've been paying attention, every commentator has been flamed at some point on here. Man or woman, has nothing to do with her gender.

Edited by Rekker
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Rekker said:

Nothing personal Cassie, but good riddance. Your unprofessional Alberta homerism on National broadcasts was embarrassing. Just a few weeks ago you said you'd still pick Bouchard over Noah Dobson. Lol. Like I said, good riddance.

Well, to be fair, Bouchard tries his best to help the Oilers...

get a better draft slot.

• Haha 2

CC was a perfect example of ' just because she was an awesome player, doesn't mean she'll be a good announcer/colour commentator ' 

It also doesn't mean she would make a good coach either. 

Best of luck to her in her future endeavors. 

Wish her all the best, she's a hockey legend. Like others have said, I didn't enjoy her as an analyst on-air. Had nothing to do with her gender, I just found her delivery flat. I also really don't like Craig Simpson on-air. Both have Alberta biases that come through in broadcasts. I think Jennifer Botterill is doing a pretty good job as the female representative on hockey night in Canada, and as more women get in to hockey professionally, we'll see a bigger pool of talent to choose from for broadcasting.

Rare is the ex-player like Kevin Bieksa who is both knowledgeable and entertaining. One of the most boring interviews I think is Wayne Gretzky. Phenomenal player, terrible media personality. It's not an easy job at all.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Strawbone said:

Wish her all the best, she's a hockey legend. Like others have said, I didn't enjoy her as an analyst on-air. Had nothing to do with her gender, I just found her delivery flat. I also really don't like Craig Simpson on-air. Both have Alberta biases that come through in broadcasts. I think Jennifer Botterill is doing a pretty good job as the female representative on hockey night in Canada, and as more women get in to hockey professionally, we'll see a bigger pool of talent to choose from for broadcasting.

Rare is the ex-player like Kevin Bieksa who is both knowledgeable and entertaining. One of the most boring interviews I think is Wayne Gretzky. Phenomenal player, terrible media personality. It's not an easy job at all.

Yea. The Alberta bias was noticeable, but that never bothered me.  Like I mentioned earlier; 20 years on HNIC. I don't need to say more. What bugged me more was/is Ron MacLean's bias against the Canucks. He's said a few things in the past that chapped my ass for sure!

Jennifer Botterill seems to have fit in well. Pretty easy transition into the fold. I like her.

Not only Gretz, but I also thought Bobby Orr's stint at such was terrible too. I'm sure the oldsters in CFF remember.

17 hours ago, 112 said:

I don't think anyone is slagging her for success. They are slagging her because she's not good on air. I've always thought that. There are lots of male anchors or whatever you call them we slag on all the time too. This has nothing to do with her being a woman. She's just not a great on air commentator. It's always so awkward and jilted with her in the conversation.

She had an amazing hockey career and her experience will help her new endeavor succeed in a big way imo. She's a great hockey mind. Just not a great on air personality. 

Kelly Hrudey and Martin Biron are two guys I have a hard time stomaching on air too. Biron especially...but i'm guessing most of you don't watch Buffalo Sabre broadcasts lol.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1