[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Nashville Predators // December 19, 2023

Rubik

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Canucks are like a gift and there is nothing like the present to be a fan these days.    What a treat the CFF has become, reading lots of positivity.    

This team is playing the right way, and everyone is contributing.    Dallas is a legit contender, but .... is it too early to say we are too?   Aren't we still tops in GF, and tops in GA?  Most regulation and regulation and OT wins ...

Was very happy when Tochett came in.   Says it like it is, called the team out for not being in elite shape, players were told it's not a four month vacation if you don't make the playoffs etc etc.    His active teaching style.. Convincing Foote to come onboard and Gonchar.   The Sedins helping on both clubs (Abby too).   Zadarov's comments about the way the players were treated and coached, made my morning.     It's been quite awhile since the Organization, was aligned top to bottom.     JR and Allvin have given us 6 NHL defenseman, for the first time since the peak Sedin era.  

Christmas/New Year is a big enough sample size, to say what we see is what we get.   How many more games this month?    

This....

100%

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Blue said:

PDG. Next game , we will probably need a clutch goal from the top line and Kuz won't be on the ice. Just like the loss after he sat the first time. Let's not make that error again. Talent doesn't go away. Kuz is in a funk. He just has to play his way out of it. Put him on the 2nd or 3rd line. Not this 4th line bullshit. 

Kuz is a one way player. It's ok to have one of them. And it's not just about effort on the back check. Kuz is probably having a hard time managing his energy. He is gassed at the wrong times. Maybe that's just the way he's built and why he's a one way player and not a Selke candidate. Ilya Kovalchuk was a one way player. Would Tocc put him on the 4th line too ? This is bullshit.

Its hard to argue with Tocchets decisions... almost 70% wins... 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Tyler Myers is having a great last couple of weeks.  Playing with Zadorov has really helped his game.  I can easily see him coming back next year.  Especially if Willander isn't ready yet.  With Myers playing well, we don't really need an upgrade on D right now, as we still have Soucy who is coming back soon, so one of Cole or Juulsen will sit.

Speaking of Juulsen, he is also turning it around.  Great to see.  Foote and Gonchar are like Manna from Heaven in helping this defence.  Juulsen is now a solid 6/7 Dman in this league and can play on the bottom pairing on alot of teams.  We haven't even seen Friedman in a long time and that is a good thing.

As for Kuzy, he probably sits again next game.  We will see what happens.  The Italian has come back down to earth and is playing to his usual skill level, which is missing empty nets.  Can't believe he was actually ahead of Hoglander at one point and playing in the top 6.  We definitely need an upgrade on PDG for the 4th line.  Trenin was all over the ice tonight.  I'd love to get him here in Vancouver...

He's having a good season, not a good couple of weeks

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

who's saying that?? 

Well I'm not too big to admit I did say that. 2 weeks ago. But in my defense, the team WAS trending down and WAS playing. 500 hockey. 

The poster who is calling out people like me for expressing my concerns is using the advantage now of seeing the team rebound and using newly aquired information to act superior over others. 

The only thing worse than people who are overly negative are the people who think that showing up to say I told you makes them look smart. The team is playing good. No one on this board should take credit for that.

• Cheers 1

I think Tocchet will keep the same lineup against DAL.  Think maybe slot in Kuz for the 3 game home stand against SJ, PHI, OTT.  Give Kuz a chance to prove himself (preferably on EP line) against lesser opponents.

I’m not opposed to trading Kuz nor keeping him until next year either.  Since he could possibly turn it around like Boeser did this year.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Christmas trade freeze in effect. Poor PA is going to be getting the shakes if he can’t make another trade soon. 

No rush on Kuzmenko. Potential 40g scorers don’t grow on trees and team is doing fairly well. Johnny Hockey has sat a number of games, last year Torts sat Konecny  let the coach be a coach. 

Yep.  And you don't want to risk an injury when a player could be on the block either.   Just because there is a freeze, doesn't mean they won't make a deal for later either.     

Yes and also let the coach be the coach.   Things would be a lot crazier here, if we were a low scoring, . 500 team and Kuzmenko was sitting.   We certainly are not that.   On pace for 311  goals ... Without checking, going to guess the most since 1993.   Where we set the high bar at 343.    Yes it would be amazing to see Kuzmenko scoring and one of EPs regulars.   I'm sure EP doesn't mind either way, as long as we are winning ... He's getting exactly what he wanted, to play on a winning club right now.   

6 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Well I'm not too big to admit I did say that. 2 weeks ago. But in my defense, the team WAS trending down and WAS playing. 500 hockey. 

The poster who is calling out people like me for expressing my concerns is using the advantage now of seeing the team rebound and using newly aquired information to act superior over others. 

The only thing worse than people who are overly negative are the people who think that showing up to say I told you makes them look smart. The team is playing good. No one on this board should take credit for that.

There's nothing wrong with being honest about how a team is playing at a given time.  They were a .500 team for almost a month and its perfectly logical to discuss that 

What those people leave out is that even though some we're talking about their .500 hockey, most of us were also saying they were still most likely a playoff team.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Canucks are like a gift and there is nothing like the present to be a fan these days.    What a treat the CFF has become, reading lots of positivity.    

This team is playing the right way, and everyone is contributing.    Dallas is a legit contender, but .... is it too early to say we are too?   Aren't we still tops in GF, and tops in GA?  Most regulation and regulation and OT wins ...

Was very happy when Tochett came in.   Says it like it is, called the team out for not being in elite shape, players were told it's not a four month vacation if you don't make the playoffs etc etc.    His active teaching style.. Convincing Foote to come onboard and Gonchar.   The Sedins helping on both clubs (Abby too).   Zadarov's comments about the way the players were treated and coached, made my morning.     It's been quite awhile since the Organization, was aligned top to bottom.     JR and Allvin have given us 6 NHL defenseman, for the first time since the peak Sedin era.  

Christmas/New Year is a big enough sample size, to say what we see is what we get.   How many more games this month?    

Excellent post, IBatch. Couldn't agree more. We've passed all the usual goalposts - 20 games, US Thanksgiving, Christmas - and we're 1 point behind Vegas, 2nd in the entire league.

You're right ... there is nothing like the present. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Its hard to argue with Tocchets decisions... almost 70% wins... 

This is true. I really like Kuz, as we all do, but our place in the standing, goal differential back up his decisions.

And I'm rooting for Kuz to succeed ... Joshua was in Tocchet's doghouse and look at him now.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

There was also enough data to understand the team was going to regress.   Soucy was out, 3 sets of 3 games in 4 nights.   And aside from losing two in a row once, we kept following up a loss with a win.   Still reasons for optimism.   Just hope the next time (Jan maybe or Feb maybe), we get stuck in the mud again a bit, that folks aren't too quick to jump off the bandwagon and freak out.   Get that our normal operating procedure the past few years has been all over the place.    Makes it tough to be a fan at times.    Aside from maybe one poster who went to extremes, wouldn't worry about this stuff at all, nobody (I think?) is keeping tabs.   Not that many anyways.      Just enjoy the schedule.   December was their first solid home stand.    We have another in March.   Which should help us either to re-gain ground, keep where we are, or jockey for position down the stretch.   

Adding Zadarov.   Was completely wrong - we don't often trade for a legit NHLer between clubs with either Alberta team.   Didn't see the Beauviller trade coming.   Or Perry opening up the space.   Nobody could see that.   Just goes to show that cap is king right now.   Doubt Allvin has another rabbit but shouldn't either.   But I do.    We can all be happy together, and it's ok to rub it in a bit too.   EDM was on a heater (since cooled down).    And we were treading water.   At this point, we are very close to being able to play .500 for the remainder of the season, and still make the playoffs. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

There's nothing wrong with being honest about how a team is playing at a given time.  They were a .500 team for almost a month and its perfectly logical to discuss that 

What those people leave out is that even though some we're talking about their .500 hockey, most of us were also saying they were still most likely a playoff team.

Yep.  And now the math is even more likely.    Think we are down to 2 games or is it 3?  That we have to win above .500 to make the show.   At 97 points too.  Which is a safe buffer.   

Tried to point out that despite not firing on all cylinders (maybe 2/3'rds), aside from one game, we followed up a loss with a win.   That's important.    Hopefully they can rely on that, come playoff time.     And although a winning streak is exciting - losing streaks are gutting for a teams confidence.   And the coaching staff.   And the fans.   If that's the worst thing we have to endure this season, we are probably a contender.   NHL.com keeps moving us up the power rankings.     Bet we go from number five (last week) to number 2-3 this week.   

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Sativika said:

PDO? That's a new term I'm not familiar with. So I assume our's is not good?!??!?!?

Yea. I hate those teams the most.

Certainly a great effort throughout but yea. PP does need work. Especially the 1st unit PP. Too static, man!

More movement ( I know Tochett already said that.), more net presence, and shoot more. Get a tip in or rebound. Yea, we got weapons in Flow's/ JT's wristers and Hronek/Petey's 100plus MPH one timers, but we shouldn't always be striving for that pretty play to score.  Get some ugly one's dudes!

Did any Canuck regime ever have designs on tanking? I don't ever recall that. Perhaps the fact that we've never, ever had a 1st overall settles that debate! Also................

.............Where's CanuckFanForever? Dude! We're waiting for you to chime in with your requisite "Fire Tochett!"  post.😉🙂

CFF I think was even going off with the win last night to fire Ric Tocc. And nerves were strained to the point Ribs banned him. For how long dunno.

But enjoy the peace while it lasts. He was pretty much grasping at straws last night. So the question is. Does CFF have the distinction of being the first banned person on here? Temp or other?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

We played 7 games in 10 nights in 7 different cities in one very difficult part of our schedule in November and came through that set of games .500

The travel for us absolutely makes playing at our best every game impossible. To be overly critical of our home club, when there are obvious reasons for their less than stellar play, is foolish. 
We see how great our club is when they get some rest. We dominate. Just accept we are a great team. Look how much of a joke Buffalo and Ottawa are! And the Coilers too! All three are laughably bad. Their top minute and highest paid guys refuse to play defensively. Three joke teams. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep.  And now the math is even more likely.    Think we are down to 2 games or is it 3?  That we have to win above .500 to make the show.   At 97 points too.  Which is a safe buffer.   

Tried to point out that despite not firing on all cylinders (maybe 2/3'rds), aside from one game, we followed up a loss with a win.   That's important.    Hopefully they can rely on that, come playoff time.     And although a winning streak is exciting - losing streaks are gutting for a teams confidence.   And the coaching staff.   And the fans.   If that's the worst thing we have to endure this season, we are probably a contender.   NHL.com keeps moving us up the power rankings.     Bet we go from number five (last week) to number 2-3 this week.   

It would be a helluva melt down to miss the post season at this point.  

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

One thing we haven't talked much about is how having one tough mother like Zads on the team makes everyone else play 10 feet tall. 

Lots of our players are standing up for eachother now. Having a big guy like that who doesn't take crap and hits like a train keeps the other team more honest. They never know who's gonna get popped. And our players feel much more protected on the ice, even when he's not on it. He keeps the game honest and our players probably feel much safer now with him on the team. Since his arrival our team has changed in this department drastically. Everyone is standing up for eachother big time now. And that's the un weighed big Z effect. Something that has lost value in the entire NHL, and this guy brings it in spades. Worth every penny whatever he gets paid imo.

No more turning the Horvat cheek anymore. Not to slag on him, or beat a dead horse...but for years our team has been charmin soft.

You don't need to fight to be tough, you just need to play hard and physical and that alone will make a lot of teams wilt under the pressure.

Exactly this. It's been a huge shift in culture. One that we've needed and is necessary if we want to contend. For far too long we've been pushed around. 

I've been saying it for a long time ... we're not going to win anything with a group of nice guys. Anf that doesn't mean goonery. 

It's like you say ... "You don't need to fight to be tough, you just need to play hard and physical and that alone will make a lot of teams wilt under the pressure."

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

What those people leave out is that even though some were talking about their .500 hockey, most of us were also saying they were still most likely a playoff team.

Still need to consider out schedule. Eastern teams sleep in their own beds way more than our guys do. When we are rested we are fantastic! And Tocchet is teaching the group how to win when not 100%. 
Our core guys, collectively, are the best in the league! And this smart management group is building a very good supporting cast. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Still need to consider out schedule. Eastern teams sleep in their own beds way more than our guys do. When we are rested we are fantastic! And Tocchet is teaching the group how to win when not 100%. 
Our core guys, collectively, are the best in the league! And this smart management group is building a very good supporting cast. 

Well unless they figure out a way to alter geography, that's how it's going to be.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, BPA said:

I think Tocchet will keep the same lineup against DAL.  Think maybe slot in Kuz for the 3 game home stand against SJ, PHI, OTT.  Give Kuz a chance to prove himself (preferably on EP line) against lesser opponents.

I’m not opposed to trading Kuz nor keeping him until next year either.  Since he could possibly turn it around like Boeser did this year.

I'm thinking he'll keep the same lineup as well. Although Tocchet did say he'll revisit it for the Dallas game. Genuinely curious. 

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

I'm thinking he'll keep the same lineup as well. Although Tocchet did say he'll revisit it for the Dallas game. Genuinely curious. 

At some point they need to put kuz back in the top 6 and let him work it out.  He's an asset and they can't just let his value tank.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, stawns said:

Well unless they figure out a way to alter geography, that's how it's going to be.

Of course, but to not take November's schedule into account, when judging their .500 record as a negative, is wrong. .500 during that stretch showed how good we actually are. Look at how bad the Coilers and McBaby are! Laughing stock. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

This is a very well coached team!  Big z is a perfect addition and what the team needed.  Guys are playing hard.. miller is having an amazing year and doing everything asked of him..  now the question is, with all that being said, when does petey re sign?  What is the hold up?  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2