[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Nashville Predators // December 19, 2023

Rubik

26 minutes ago, Tofu_Bud said:

His minutes were heavily reduced for games in October by Foote.

Called Tocchett to even say he was playing poorly.  

Facts only.  

On pace for 37 points and +35.  That didn't just happen in the last 10-15 games.

Just facts

Big team performance win here, great to see Petey with some jump and buzzing a bit more now. Suter seems to fit in nicely on that line which will surely be a constant rotation. Very solid performance from our bottom-6 yet again, they seem to be producing consistently for us which is quite a surprise considering their relatively poor stats last year, but I think under Tocchet's system which prioritises defence first, they seem to defend well and break up the ice well together. 

Never gave the Preds a sniff in this one, that's how you play with the lead.

Biggest game for the last little while coming up against and in Dallas though, a win won't be easy but would be good to have a good competitive outing. If we play like we did against Nashville we should have a decent chance.

As for all this chat about trading Kuzmenko/Myers, why would a top-5 (if not soon top team in the league) be looking to alter their chemistry and complexion?

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Big team performance win here, great to see Petey with some jump and buzzing a bit more now. Suter seems to fit in nicely on that line which will surely be a constant rotation. Very solid performance from our bottom-6 yet again, they seem to be producing consistently for us which is quite a surprise considering their relatively poor stats last year, but I think under Tocchet's system which prioritises defence first, they seem to defend well and break up the ice well together. 

Biggest game for the last little while coming up against and in Dallas though, a win won't be easy but would be good to have a good competitive outing. If we play like we did against Nashville we should have a decent chance.

As for all this chat about trading Kuzmenko/Myers, why would a top-5 (if not soon top team in the league) be looking to alter their chemistry and complexion?

Myers isn't going anywhere, but a good chance kuz is.  Regardless of play, I think they either need to add to the d corp or bring in a different style of player for the top 6

Might seem a bit harsh, but they don't need Kuzmenko. They continue to prove it and they're still winning games. The Canucks looked very solid all game, structured and disciplined. Attack attack!  Kuzmenko is a step behind with this style of play. He's not very fast and lacks aggression. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

I didn't want him to get banned. I was actually enjoying the trolling, lol. It was entertaining 

Agreed.  He was annoying at first, but once I understood where he was coming from, and that he could show up and take some lumps, it was fine.

If he was being particularly obtuse, I wouldn't engage.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

2- When he is showing in practise and not before that- (Too bad a player like him cannot be sent to the farm to work and improve his play (It would be nice if you could send a regular player down a few times a year to let that player get a reset and get a  better opportunity for him and the team)

Where's Tonya Harding when you need her.  Couple whacks, send him down for conditioning... problem solved 

Edit: Weird, for some reason when I try to post a gif, the image is static.  Bummer.  Oh well... take the above with a huge wink!

Edited by Kragar

13 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

I fucking love this team

When Soucy comes back we

will be even better

I can’t help wondering if they’re gonna trade Kuz

I love Kuz but all our favorite whipping boys are outplaying him

Myers is playing like the top 4D we are paying for. 

Garland is the engine of the best 3rd line in the league. 

Can you imagine once Soucy comes back, if we traded Kuz, we'd have like 6m to spend at the deadline to top up before the playoffs? 

Cap friendly says we have 3.69 cap space but is that because Soucy (3.25) is on LTIR? Or do we have 3.69 even when Soucy comes back? If so, that'd be like 9m to spend if we traded Kuz. 

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

On pace for 37 points and +35.  That didn't just happen in the last 10-15 games.

Just facts

1 hour ago, Tofu_Bud said:

All that has quieted down over the last 15-20 games. 

He has 10 of his current 14 points in the last 20 games champ.  But that wasnt the even the point at issue.

Anyone w a decent eye could see Myers struggle in October. Mid November onwards he has simplified his game and executed a lot better.  

Reading comprehension is a virtue.  

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Inkidu said:

I always figured we would have an advantage in a playoff series against an eastern team because we're more used to the lag issue but it never seems to work out that way.  

it was in '94... until there was an extra day off between games 6 and 7.  Rangers were gassed in 5 and 6, IIRC

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Tocchet wants to win. The players want to win, Kuz Missile wants to win. When he focuses on playing winning hockey then he will be back in the top six. He just makes too many bad decisions right now. 

I loved RTs interview about Kuz. 

Says when he's supposed to be F1, he sometimes ends up behind f3 which slows down the line and puts others out of place. 

Also talks about long shifts where Kuz tells RT he still feels fresh when he should get off the ice. Not every shift needs to end up with creating an opportunity. 

I love that RT is very transparent in his messaging. 

There's nothing to refute here. 

I love watching fast paced canucks hockey. RT has them playing really solid hockey and I love that he has the support of his management team so that he can sit guys like Kuz until he plays the right way. 

The fact he got Miller, Boeser and a whole bunch of other guys playing the best hockey of their lives tells me enough about RT as coach. 

Once Kuz buys in and it clicks, Kuz will start putting up numbers too. 

Everyone who's bought in is having career years. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Tofu_Bud said:

No, he wasnt.

He was an anchor for his early defence partners like Cole.  The stats showed them being heavily outshot in comparison to Cole playing w other players.  

His propensity to not cleanly handle the puck leading to scoring chances against were all there to start the season.  He had his big blunders.

All that has quieted down over the last 15-20 games. 

Z has only been around for a fraction of that time but his addition didn't just make him better but other pairings as well.  IMHO.

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Says when he's supposed to be F1, he sometimes ends up behind f3 which slows down the line and puts others out of place. 

Also talks about long shifts where Kuz tells RT he still feels fresh when he should get off the ice. Not every shift needs to end up with creating an opportunity. 

I love watching fast paced canucks hockey. RT has them playing really solid hockey and I love that he has the support of his management team so that he can sit guys like Kuz until he plays the right way. 

The fact he got Miller, Boeser and a whole bunch of other guys playing the best hockey of their lives tells me enough about RT as coach. 

Yeah.  I was worried when some were suggesting we would have boring hockey under RT's system.  That hasn't come to be, and we can all benefit :towel:

Quite happy with RT, for sure.

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Yeah, no need to force a trade right now with how well they are doing. It'll be interesting to see which, if any, changes are needed to round out the team. Of course that'll all depend on how we're doing heading into the TDL. I don't think they're going go all in though. Hopefully keeping an eye on the future at the same time. That's how you build a winner.

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Z has only been around for a fraction of that time but his addition didn't just make him better but other pairings as well.  IMHO.

Yeah, with regards to Z I was just referring to how poised Gudbranson looked w him.  Myers had been turning it around before then, but when paired w Z he’s seem to have found a good d partner.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Goal_thecup said:

Is this going to be the best record we've had at Christmas?

Anybody old enough to remember how we used to fold every fn January, then February after good starts to a season?

We're not far off our 2010-11 pace, but both December and January were incredibly good in that year, with just 3 regulation losses over those two months, so we'll see if we can match that and cement ourselves as one of the very top teams in the league.

Goodness, I can't believe I'm legitimately typing those words.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

That line change thing with Kuz sums it up in a nutshell. As a player you should be going all out for 45 seconds to a minute. Sometimes playing either only one offensive foray or one defensive stand and then off. The fact Kuzy is saying he's fresh shows he's thinking more about his own offensive production than being a cog in the wheel where the team's goals are first.

Unfortunately that's a player problem, You won't get very far if you're competing against similar players, except they have a team first attitude. The focus shouldn't be on whether you think you may or may not be tired, but when is a good time to sub off so the team maintains seamless pressure.

Also, of course he doesn't feel tired when he's not skating hard to be the first man in like he's asked to do by the coach. I personally don't have any sympathy or compassion for players that can't seem to make the distinction of what it means to buy in to the team vs looking cool for the fans. I like Kuzy a lot but he has to decide how serious he wants to take the game.

• Cheers 4