[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Nashville Predators // December 19, 2023

Rubik

14 minutes ago, Tofu_Bud said:

Yeah, with regards to Z I was just referring to how poised Gudbranson looked w him.  Myers had been turning it around before then, but when paired w Z he’s seem to have found a good d partner.

It's weird how some players just have the right chemistry.  Look at Edler & Bieksa in their prime for example.  Both clearly legit top 4 defensemen on good team(s).  But together?  A train wreck many nights.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

That line change thing with Kuz sums it up in a nutshell. As a player you should be going all out for 45 seconds to a minute. Sometimes playing either only one offensive foray or one defensive stand and then off. The fact Kuzy is saying he's fresh shows he's thinking more about his own offensive production than being a cog in the wheel where the team's goals are first.

Unfortunately that's a player problem, You won't get very far if you're competing against similar players, except they have a team first attitude. The focus shouldn't be on whether you think you may or may not be tired, but when is a good time to sub off so the team maintains seamless pressure.

Also, of course he doesn't feel tired when he's not skating hard to be the first man in like he's asked to do by the coach. I personally don't have any sympathy or compassion for players that can't seem to make the distinction of what it means to buy in to the team vs looking cool for the fans. I like Kuzy a lot but he has to decide how serious he wants to take the game.

Scoring lots of goals for oneself, but having one’s team lose because of repeatedly  intercepted passes & break-downs with players out of position…or, perhaps scoring fewer goals but one’s team still wins due to following an anticipated structure or the muscle-memory of positioning taking hold so that team now becomes one-brain,…it’s an obvious choice in pursuit of the Cup, you’d think?

Petey is a player who has chosen the latter. Kuzy hurts the future  potential of his team & his once proud line, by choosing the former. 

It’s about getting this team to make far fewer mistakes in an age of league parity, in what are essentially chess matches between teams, all trying their best to play at the highest level. 

I wonder how off-ice talks are going, with & among his fellow Russians, on this point? One cannot become an Ovechkin, without making the kinds of sacrifices players do for an NHL  team, both on & off of the ice,…as an Ovechkin. 

There have been NHL coaches brought in to coach the Canucks in the past, with bags of ulterior motives & whose treatments of some players was far too despicable, to elicit complete trust.  RT & his highly-touted staff are not that. Put some trust in  these men, Kuzy! You WILL morph into something better! You can do it! 

Edited by viking mama
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Big team performance win here, great to see Petey with some jump and buzzing a bit more now. Suter seems to fit in nicely on that line which will surely be a constant rotation. Very solid performance from our bottom-6 yet again, they seem to be producing consistently for us which is quite a surprise considering their relatively poor stats last year, but I think under Tocchet's system which prioritises defence first, they seem to defend well and break up the ice well together. 

Never gave the Preds a sniff in this one, that's how you play with the lead.

Biggest game for the last little while coming up against and in Dallas though, a win won't be easy but would be good to have a good competitive outing. If we play like we did against Nashville we should have a decent chance.

As for all this chat about trading Kuzmenko/Myers, why would a top-5 (if not soon top team in the league) be looking to alter their chemistry and complexion?

Myers stays because we absolutely need him for playoffs. Please don't quote me but I think we've won 3/4 games where Kuzzy sat out. I think we are sitting on a disposable asset to be honest. Hate to say it, but I think the team would fair ok without Kuzzy. Especially because any move we make for him will bring in something else of value.

I don't think it alters our chemistry that much to move him. But Myers has to stay for now. He is finally playing up to his contract and him and Z have been very solid

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Read to the melody of Pearl Jam, Last Kiss

Oh where, oh where can our resident troll be

@Ribs and @-dlc- took him away from me

Is he in heaven or was he sent to hell

Oh, in Edmonton that is just as well

As an Oilers fan CFF can admire from afar

How a real contending team does sets the bar

Are the 'Nucks for real or is all just show

Recalling the 8-1 beat down CFF now really must know

CFF is losing hope, he cannot face his fear

As the Canucks keep pounding 'em, kicking the Oilers rear

Somewhere in heaven St Peter stops the snore

As Canucks Nation lets out a mighty roar

.... more to follow ... or you can always add your own verse

in a boring meeting so making good use of the time

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

4th line had a heck of a game. Kuzy is running out of lines to play on.

I'm hoping the best for him because he's such a stellar guy. Maybe he comes back next year more determined to make a difference. Maybe no training in Bali this summer...

Stay in Vancouver, learn the systems better, show the coaches he's dedicated to being a regular player.

People complaining about Kuz is understandable. But we also have to look at his effectiveness this year. Teams have figured out how to check him and eliminate him as a threat. This was bound to happen after scoring 39 last year. He has to learn how to get better and move beyond the tighter checking. Because it won't stop, teams know how to shut him down now. If he's going to be an impact top 6 player he's gonna have to fight through it. In my opinion this is what Toc and staff are working on. In my mind this whole season can be tough love for him in all the right reasons. Because if it all sinks in with him he will get back to lighting it up and being effective again next year.

I can only imagine how hard it is for him, he's 27 and he doesn't have much time to put everything together or he'll end up going back over seas.

I hope he keeps his head high, learns everything that he can and when he gets back in the line up he makes it hard to take him back out again...

As others have said Toc did this to Joshua and Hogs too, even Podz. Toc wants the best for all his players, Kuz included.

Kuz has to push and outplay Suter and Hogz for a top spot, it's a challenge but both those guys are catchable imo.

Love ya Kuz, come back strong!! We're all rooting for you!!

Tocc is teaching Kuz a lesson.

He came in here at the beginning of the year acting like a rock star because he scored 39 goals riding on Petey's shirt tails.

He is being shown that whoever plays with Petey gets goals and points, Laffer now Suter.

So learn to play the way the coach wants or you can sit.

It's a lot easier to do when you are winning of course.

GCG

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

37 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

That line change thing with Kuz sums it up in a nutshell. As a player you should be going all out for 45 seconds to a minute. Sometimes playing either only one offensive foray or one defensive stand and then off. The fact Kuzy is saying he's fresh shows he's thinking more about his own offensive production than being a cog in the wheel where the team's goals are first.

Unfortunately that's a player problem, You won't get very far if you're competing against similar players, except they have a team first attitude. The focus shouldn't be on whether you think you may or may not be tired, but when is a good time to sub off so the team maintains seamless pressure.

Also, of course he doesn't feel tired when he's not skating hard to be the first man in like he's asked to do by the coach. I personally don't have any sympathy or compassion for players that can't seem to make the distinction of what it means to buy in to the team vs looking cool for the fans. I like Kuzy a lot but he has to decide how serious he wants to take the game.

Exactly. There's no free rides on this team. 

I love Kuz and want him to do well, but he's got to play smart, team first hockey. 

Everyone on the team has to, from Miller, Hughes, Petey, down the line.

Look at Joshua when he was benched earlier this year. He took it to heart and hasn't sat, ever since. 

That's the energy and effort we need. Garland's a perfect example of playing his heart out, as well.  

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Read to the melody of Pearl Jam, Last Kiss

Oh where, oh where can our resident troll be

@Ribs and @-dlc- took him away from me

Is he in heaven or was he sent to hell

Oh, in Edmonton that is just as well

As an Oilers fan CFF can admire from afar

How a real contending team does sets the bar

Are the 'Nucks for real or is all just show

Recalling the 8-1 beat down CFF now really must know

CFF is losing hope, he cannot face his fear

As the Canucks keep pounding 'em, kicking the Oilers rear

Somewhere in heaven St Peter stops the snore

As Canucks Nation lets out a mighty roar

.... more to follow ... or you can always add your own verse

in a boring meeting so making good use of the time

A masterpiece!

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

Agreed.  He was annoying at first, but once I understood where he was coming from, and that he could show up and take some lumps, it was fine.

If he was being particularly obtuse, I wouldn't engage.

Ya the click bait and annoying postings were too much for me. Much better with him on my ignore list. 

There's no reason any more for Kuzmenko to not get involved with the rough-ups, even fight. Maybe the coach threw him down

on the fourth line to show him that; partially: Anyways. he's as talented as hell, but needs to grow his game to encompass that aspect 

His contract dictates he must do that or he will be out a here.

Smiles don't normally win you Stanley Cups. Kid needs to privately chat with either Malkin or Ovetchkin.

OR: Get him outa here and get us a player that can run the second unit power play with vigor. Or a dominate, hard hitting penalty killer. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I really appreciate this post and think I know what prompted it. As a female, I don't feel uncomfortable with the human body and so I let it go...but I imagine if my daughter was here I may feel differently. But that's also in part on me, as a parent, to walk through with my children and help them decide if it's somewhere they want to hang out (or that I want them to). To monitor, have talking points, and then weed through it all. When my son was young we had to do that with wrestling...he loved it. So I watched WITH him and we discussed how it wasn't "reality", etc. Rather than shield him from it, I tried to have an impact on what he took from it because he/our children WILL encounter stuff out there. And the world won't change for us but we can prepare them for the world. I'm not meaning to sound preachy or know it all...just offering a woman's perspective who's had to navigate a man's world with her children.

The internet is full of stuff to be creeped out over and  it's a jungle and so I admire your diligence in that. For the most part, I feel the stuff posted here is more tongue in cheek than creepy stalker but that's my perception (as a female posting here).

I do take a bit of offence at the description of "a bunch of dudes posting pinup material" as we have quite a few really awesome females posting here. So to overlook that aspect does us a disservice as females who do contribute here. This forum is for everyone and we've been welcomed here and shown respect.

This place has a bit more freedom and the rules aren't as rigid as the other team associated site. For the most part, I think people enjoy the rules being loosened a bit but we still do moderate inappropriate content if deemed so. My rule of thumb is let the consensus rule (to some degree). Let the people decide...and your comment will be included as part of that.

Thing is, it IS a hockey site and that comes with a bit of testosteroney fried bologna. With that, if you see anything you see as inappropriate, please use the report button as it's the most effective avenue to make sure your point is heard and then mods can weigh in and take action if deemed necessary.

Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.

Never thought I'd see the day where Testosteroney Fried Bologna being used in a sentence. 🙂

Well said Deb.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

CFF I think was even going off with the win last night to fire Ric Tocc. And nerves were strained to the point Ribs banned him. For how long dunno.

But enjoy the peace while it lasts. He was pretty much grasping at straws last night. So the question is. Does CFF have the distinction of being the first banned person on here? Temp or other?

Nope. I got temp banned preseason for posting the goal light as a joke when the Oilers starting lineup was beating our AHL tryout team. Bunch of crybabies shit their diapers and started whining I was an Oilers fan.

4 minutes ago, Haddy said:

Nope. I got temp banned preseason for posting the goal light as a joke when the Oilers starting lineup was beating our AHL tryout team. Bunch of crybabies shit their diapers and started whining I was an Oilers fan.

judging by this post I feel like maybe the "temp" part of the ban was the issue. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1