[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Nashville Predators // December 19, 2023

Rubik

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Its Ok to have one of them? They don't tend to do well in the playoffs or when they play tough checking, physical teams.

Tocchet and Co. has transformed many of our one way players, namely Boeser, and look at the difference. Its hard to question the coaching techniques when you see how successful we have been. 

We have had players who could not adjust, like Baertchi and Goldobin, skilled players but could not transition to NHL play. 

Maybe Kuz spent too much time vacationing instead of getting his conditioning in order? 

For the good of the team, I will not miss him if he is moved, but I am cheering for him to figure it out and contribute to our success instead.

I think that Kuz could get some weight training in season to build him up a little and I think press box is good for him to give him some dryland training to make up for missing a few games.   However, I think that Kuz will be back in tomorrow.  Since holiday and 6 days between games after Flyers' game will only help him to reinforce his game a little bit with more practice time and coaches can help him with his game.  We'll need him during the 7 game road trip in some point in January.  I can see why coaches didn't like Kuz game so far this year and so do I I not being a fan of his game.  However, if his confidence is back, then he can really help this team if he take a heed to coaches' instruction despite English not being his first language.  He still have had Gonchar speaking his native language.  An old habit from KHL and NHL will take time.  

36 minutes ago, Blue said:

This is the mistake that Benning was making. He was trying to build a team for the playoffs that could not get into the playoffs. In the regular season , you need finishers to get into the playoffs. But hey , let's trade Kuzmenko for a 2 way Granlund. Then watch us miss the playoffs.

Talent doesn't go away. Kuzmenko can finish. Boesers talent never went away either. And he wasn't exactly a Selke candidate in his off year either.

Kuzmenko travelled with his trainer to Bali. It was a UFC style training camp in Bali for him. Didn't you see the ripped 6 pack he had ? 

Let's take the bullet that we dodged last year with Boeser and salary dump a top six 39 goal scorer. And replace him with a Granlund. Maybe the Sharks will trade their Granlund straight across. He only went 30+ games without scoring a goal.

Defense wins championships plain and simple. Right now we are in a playoff position and yet Kuz is riding the pine so how does that support your argument? 

We are winning because we are playing a system that is sustainable and willl continue to give us success in the post season.

If he does not figure out how to play a complete game, then he is useless to us and we will move on from him just as we did with Baertchi and Goldobin.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

And you go all in with a pair of 9's and Jacks. And another team has a full house. Then what?

No thanks. I like this winning thing. I like to see the team do more of it. And build the club into a powerhouse, that doesn't go on one cup run. But can take many cup runs. And have a great chance of winning each year.

Wow lost me when you compared the NHL to a poker hand. Anymore clever metaphors? 

Wanting multiple cup runs and a dynasty in the cap era is foolish at best. When you have a shot you go for it. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Wow lost me when you compared the NHL to a poker hand. Anymore clever metaphors? 

Wanting multiple cup runs and a dynasty in the cap era is foolish at best. When you have a shot you go for it. 

Maybe going all in for a one and done is not the right approach. I want to win the cup as much as anyone.

But I think the Canucks problem is we never reload when we make one run. Then we start drafting late in the draft. And then never get back.

Maybe try for depth, and a solid core, and keep building the team to get stronger would be the way.

After all Toronto and Dubas kept going all in, and it got them what? One round?

And they have few draft picks, handcuffed by expensive contracts.

No thanks to that.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

In all seriousness we would be fools to not go for it this year. Gonna have to keep finding cheap "fill" during the high OEL buyout years but it's not impossible to stay competitive throughout. 

Let's go for it!!

That's what this fanbase deserves. Seriously. It's hard to comprehend that we can actually do it after what we've endured.

I'm not so sure this is the year - it feels good - but we are at that place of ... Let's go for it!!!!

It's ok to go with it ... we've all been in this together!

• Like 3
  • ThereItIs 1

52 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Defense wins championships plain and simple. Right now we are in a playoff position and yet Kuz is riding the pine so how does that support your argument? 

We are winning because we are playing a system that is sustainable and willl continue to give us success in the post season.

If he does not figure out how to play a complete game, then he is useless to us and we will move on from him just as we did with Baertchi and Goldobin.

No problem. You are on the record for wanting to dump Kuzmenko. You were probably on the record for dumping Boeser for Matt Dumba last year too.

I am on the record as not wanting to trade Boeser. And how he would come back and burn us. I am saying the same about Kuzmenko.

Page saved. Will revisit as needed.

5 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

@Master Radishes ... just noticed your name here. Are you the same Master Radishes that played Diplomcy on the Play Dip site? If so then on that site I was the player Lucifers Hammer and held the distinction of being banned 3 times before it stuck, LoL.

Apparently my in game and forum chat was a tad "ripe" for the delicates on that site.

Great game Diplomacy!

Yeah that's me! Hi! :parrot:Interne is a small world I guess.

There are other Dip sites now like WebDip and Backstabbr that you may not be banned from if you want to play online.

I kinda burned out and haven't played properly in years.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe going all in for a one and done is not the right approach. I want to win the cup as much as anyone.

But I think the Canucks problem is we never reload when we make one run. Then we start drafting late in the draft. And then never get back.

Maybe try for depth, and a solid core, and keep building the team to get stronger would be the way.

After all Toronto and Dubas kept going all in, and it got them what? One round?

And they have few draft picks, handcuffed by expensive contracts.

No thanks to that.

Do we not have a solid core, do we need to sell the farm to compete with basically what we have? ... Man this crowd has me lost. We can "win a round" and then some  with what we have. I'm not saying trade our 1st for half a decade trying. I'm saying it's time to push. Spend a bit. How are people not seeing this? When is it time? The yeArs of a  half decade long dynasty are gone. It is basically win one or MAYBE two and reboot. 

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, Blue said:

Remember the Bruins last year ? Not a word was uttered about PDO. Everyone just gushed about how good of an organization it was. 

all the hockey 'experts' predicted the Canucks to be either 2nd wild card team or miss the playoffs. they don't want to admit they are wrong or admit the fact that the Canucks are a good team because it shows that they are bad at their job. 

our high PDO AKA Elite shooting 🤪 is being used by these hockey nerds to discredit how good are team actually is.

If the Leaves or Avs have our PDO, the narrative will be how they have elite finishers but for us its luck. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/stanley-cup-predictions-for-2023-24-nhl-season

Edited by Trebreh
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

That's what this fanbase deserves. Seriously. It's hard to comprehend that we can actually do it after what we've endured.

I'm not so sure this is the year - it feels good - but we are at that place of ... Let's go for it!!!!

It's ok to go with it ... we've all been in this together!

Amen brother I've only been a fan since I was a 5 year old and the bure linden years were my first, but watching since and this is the best team since 2010. And I'm glad we went for it then. We could have waited for the third Sedin that never truly came? Lmao burrows was awesome. But long was the list to get there. It's never a sure thing

• Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Amen brother I've only been a fan since I was a 5 year old and the bure linden years were my first, but watching since and this is the best team since 2010. And I'm glad we went for it then. We could have waited for the third Sedin that never truly came? Lmao burrows was awesome. But long was the list to get there. It's never a sure thing

They didn't "go for it" out of nowhere.  That team was years in the making and they went for it once they had several tries at getting through the post season 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Or some people just can't admit they were wrong..

For those people - I was wrong too. I didn't think buying was the right direction, I feared another decade of pathetic flailing, and I expected the Canucks to MAYBE fight for a wild card at best.

I like being wrong in this case. Bestest wrongnesses of the past while yup. 

I was definitely not referring to you LL...

Top man. 🍺👍

Yes its more likely folks, who just won't see positives in, what is happening.

We all have ideas, and ways we look at it, and until its tried, and either failed or succeed, nobody knows for sure, who is right or wrong...

One thing we can all agree upon or nearly all, is the way this franchise has been turned around in a short space of time, is nothing short of impressive.

Where it leads only time will tell, but I'm pleased that we get to give the boys a chance.

If they fail and fall flat on their faces, over the next few years, we have some decent assets, that should be traded for a total rebuild, but this is for another day... 

PS. Can I just add, that the way, they went out and drafted Dmen, in particular RHD last draft showed they are are planing long term as well... So damn pleased.

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 4