2024 IIHF World Junior Championship Thread

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I suspect he means taking a team out of each group.  I'm opposed to that as these teams getting a chance helps grow the game.  Look at how Latvians celebrated their team winning bronze at the Worlds.

Yeah I wouldn't do that.  Germany just beat Finland.  The Latvians won bronze.  Switzerland has been producing talent lately.  Same could be said about teams like Denmark and Belarus.  Scaling back tournaments does nothing to help grow the sport.

A big plus that you are seeing watching the Swedes, that even though they are teens, a lot of them have played in the SHL, Allsvenskan, and been together in junior clubs for a long time. The way they move the puck, structurally attack the forecheck, and maintain defensive posture replicates a very mature game.

In a tourney that thrives off of chaos and lack of structure, they look very good. 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah I wouldn't do that.  Germany just beat Finland.  The Latvians won bronze.  Switzerland has been producing talent lately.  Same could be said about teams like Denmark and Belarus.  Scaling back tournaments does nothing to help grow the sport.

Latvia has never won a medal at the WJHC.  Occassionaly Czechia or Slovakia has a cinderella tourney, but it's almost always one of Canada, US, Sweden, Russia and Finland.  Take two teams out and run an 8 team tournament and eliminate the quarter finals.  The hockey would be much much much better.......especially if Russia isn't in it

Edited by stawns

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

Latvia has never won a medal at the WJHC.  Occassionaly Czechia or Slovakia has a cinderella tourney, but it's almost always one of Canada, US, Sweden, Russia and Finland.  Take two teams out and run an 8 team tournament and eliminate the quarter finals.  The hockey would be much much much better.......especially if Russia isn't in it

So by those standards international basketball tournaments in the past would consist of 1... maybe 2 teams.  Good idea.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

doesn't have the numbers this game, but he looks out of place at this level, imo.

Cause letterkenny looks way bigger and faster than these little juniors.

Canada tommorrow.... i mean letterkenny will shoot the shit out of us tomorrow.

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

Damn, have to leave now....have to be back in time to watch my Canucks so it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

GO SWEDEN!!!

Enjoy the rest of the game everyone. Bad planning on my part!

Its ok, go get your hair and makeup done. We got the game covered. Philly tonight is the big one. Retribution

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I couldn't care less about basketball.  I'm talking about this tournament.........stay on topic

Then I think it's a stupid idea to remove all the other teams and only have the 'good' teams in the tournament.  What a terrible approach towards growing the sport.  News flash, Sweden, Finland, Czechia/Slovakia, etc were not strong hockey countries decades ago (probably going back to before you were born).

If you've been watching, Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, and others have really elevated the game in their countries.  How else can they improve if they don't play the best?

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Then I think it's a stupid idea to remove all the other teams and only have the 'good' teams in the tournament.  What a terrible approach towards growing the sport.  News flash, Sweden, Finland, Czechia/Slovakia, etc were not strong hockey countries decades ago (probably going back to before you were born).

If you've been watching, Germany, Switzerland, Denmark, and others have really elevated the game in their countries.  How else can they improve if they don't play the best?

Those teams have been used as fodder going on 30 years now and nothing changes.  Not exactly a rallying cry for "growing the sport"