2024 IIHF World Junior Championship Thread

Just now, stawns said:

Those teams have been used as fodder going on 30 years now and nothing changes.  Not exactly a rallying cry for "growing the sport"

You think teams just become elite hockey countries overnight?  Can you honestly say that teams like Germany or Switzerland haven't improved significantly over the past 20 to 30 years?  

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

You think teams just become elite hockey countries overnight?  Can you honestly say that teams like Germany or Switzerland haven't improved significantly over the past 20 to 30 years?  

Id say those teams have remained pretty much exactly the same in the last 2-3 decades.  They get the occassional unexpected win, maybe a fluke medal once (swiss), but they're there to be fodder for the top teams and add ticket sales.  That's it.

Further to that point, in an 8 team tournament, Germany and maybe the swiss would still likely be involved.

Just now, stawns said:

Id say those teams have remained pretty much exactly the same in the last 2-3 decades.  They get the occassional unexpected win, maybe a fluke medal once (swiss), but they're there to be fodder for the top teams and add ticket sales.  That's it.

Further to that point, in an 8 team tournament, Germany and maybe the swiss would still likely be involved.

WRONG.

Are they powerhouses?  No.  But they've come a long ways.  

If you look at the Germany and Swiss rosters from 20 years ago at Salt Lake City 2002, they had maybe 1 or 2 NHL level players on the entire roster:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_at_the_2002_Winter_Olympics_–_Men's_team_rosters#Switzerland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_at_the_2002_Winter_Olympics_–_Men's_team_rosters#Germany

An early look at the 2026 rosters for the Olympics shows that each of these countries can dress about half of their rosters with NHL level talent, some elite level talent as well.  That's a significant improvement and I expect it will continue to improve as the years go by.

https://dobberprospects.com/2021/12/14/way-too-early-2026-olympic-roster-predictions-slovakia-czech-republic-germany-switzerland/

It's complete and absolute arrogance to just kick the non-powerhouse countries to the curb because they're not at the level we're accustomed to.  To grow the sport, others need to play against the best to see what they need to get to to compete.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, HKSR said:

WRONG.

Are they powerhouses?  No.  But they've come a long ways.  

If you look at the Germany and Swiss rosters from 20 years ago at Salt Lake City 2002, they had maybe 1 or 2 NHL level players on the entire roster:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_at_the_2002_Winter_Olympics_–_Men's_team_rosters#Switzerland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_at_the_2002_Winter_Olympics_–_Men's_team_rosters#Germany

An early look at the 2026 rosters for the Olympics shows that each of these countries can dress about half of their rosters with NHL level talent, some elite level talent as well.  That's a significant improvement and I expect it will continue to improve as the years go by.

https://dobberprospects.com/2021/12/14/way-too-early-2026-olympic-roster-predictions-slovakia-czech-republic-germany-switzerland/

It's complete and absolute arrogance to just kick the non-powerhouse countries to the curb because they're not at the level we're accustomed to.  To grow the sport, others need to play against the best to see what they need to get to to compete.  

Why do you keep referencing other sports and other tournaments.  I'm talking about this tournament.  Outside of the swiss bronze, they've ended up exactly the same every tournament

• Upvote 1

While I am here though...

I am still shook from that Germany win, WOW, they have really come a long long way in the Hockey world.  A big part of me is in denial, thinking this was a strategic loss by the stalwart Finns, to somehow cook the books in their favour for the loser goes home phase....rofl....

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

While I am here though...

I am still shook from that Germany win, WOW, they have really come a long long way in the Hockey world.  A big part of me is in denial, thinking this was a strategic loss by the stalwart Finns, to somehow cook the books in their favour for the loser goes home phase....rofl....

Exactly.  These non-powerhouse countries have come a very long ways, and a lot of that has to do with playing against the best.  It really is the only way to grow.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Exactly.  These non-powerhouse countries have come a very long ways, and a lot of that has to do with playing against the best.  It really is the only way to grow.  

And in an 8 team tourney, Germany would still be there, no?

13 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Lekky did all the work there... Not just a scorer.  He works hard.  Love it.  THAT will translate well to NHL.

Perfect analysis. I was really impressed with how hard he works to get the puck and then to do something good with it. He is a stronger skater and more robust player than I thought he was, although he's got room to grow yet. It would be nice to see him in Abbotsford soon. He sure can shoot the puck.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Perfect analysis. I was really impressed with how hard he works to get the puck and then to do something good with it. He is a stronger skater and more robust player than I thought he was, although he's got room to grow yet. It would be nice to see him in Abbotsford soon. He sure can shoot the puck.

I was thinking same thing.  Lekky looks to be ready for Abby next season. 

He's way stronger and gritty/competitive then I thought.  It's like night and day watching him this year from last.  

I was never fully in doubt when Allvin and co drafted him but was more of a wait and see... Cautiously optimistic stance. 

Then last season took place. 

He obviously looked horrible... Again I was giving him benefit of the doubt... But less optimistic. 

So seeing what I'm seeing now (though limited viewings) very encouraged and feel like Allvin and co made the right pick.

As far as Willander... I feel the same way I felt about Podz.  For me, it's not about any one of their physical traits.  From my perspective, they just have that 'it' factor.  This aura about them.  They have that 'special' element to them.  However, these types, for the most part, take time to bring it all together.   Put them in the right developing system, they generally realize their potential.   

D-Petey does have traits that remind me of Ohlund.  But that's big shoes to fill.  Ohlund pre eye injury was so complete and a dominant force on the ice.  He was Hedman light for sure.  So if D-Petey can turn into Edler pre back injury, I'd be over the moon.

• Vintage 2

Waiting For Godot Hockey

I should write a book. It's what I do when I am in anticipation of a game mode. I wait.

This one's got me really excited...cheering for both teams. Ideally, I'd love our prospects to do really well in a close loss to Canada. But I'm ok either way.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Waiting For Godot Hockey

I should write a book. It's what I do when I am in anticipation of a game mode. I wait.

This one's got me really excited...cheering for both teams. Ideally, I'd love our prospects to do really well in a close loss to Canada. But I'm ok either way.

I've always cheered for Canuck prospects. As a proud Canadian I always want Team Canada to do well too, but the Canucks blue and green blood surges so much that I end up wanting them to win haha.

This should be a heavy weight showdown.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Master Mind said:

After Kulich got the first shootout goal, Czechia should have been able to secure the win.

Instead it was several poor attempts and the US find a way to win.

Yeah, the backhand "shot" and then Sale's puck flip.  That was Czechia's shootout to lose, and they did