2024 IIHF World Junior Championship Thread

Not all that surprising that Canada has a rather weak team for this tournament.  Definitely

seeing a huge drop in top level draft picks over the past couple of years (or more).

Sadly, our Jr league program isn't developing the young talent as well as they used to.

6 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Conflicted by this game. Patriotically, want Canada to win, but I really also want to see a strong showing by our top prospects and....let's face it, pretty much all of those are on Sweden!

I'm always neutral with this matchup, but the Canucks prospects probably pushe more to the swedes in this one.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don't have time to watch right now, but is it fair to say that Sweden is taking over the game?

I would say the game has been fairly even, Canada may have had more high danger chances but Sweden is playing discipline and playing with a lot of structure. They have been the more physical team over Canada, but Canada has been pushing quick counter attacks, but they are much like the Canucks, turning over the puck which is leading to opportunistic chances for Sweden

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Not all that surprising that Canada has a rather weak team for this tournament.  Definitely

seeing a huge drop in top level draft picks over the past couple of years (or more).

Sadly, our Jr league program isn't developing the young talent as well as they used to.

Bedard

Fantili

Benson

Wright

Korchinski

2 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I would say the game has been fairly even, Canada may have had more high danger chances but Sweden is playing discipline and playing with a lot of structure. They have been the more physical team over Canada, but Canada has been pushing quick counter attacks, but they are much like the Canucks, turning over the puck which is leading to opportunistic chances for Sweden

I definitely would not be saying that.  The swedes are handling Canada quite easily

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I definitely would not be saying that.  The swedes are handling Canada quite easily

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

Bedard

Fantili

Benson

Wright

Korchinski

The number of high picks for Canada is dropping.  Check out the drafts from 5yrs ago.

Yes, the other teams are improving because of the popularity of the game, but they

are also getting better development opportunities.   I also wonder if the growing cost

of hockey is becoming too rich for many Cdn families to engage in.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1