2024 IIHF World Junior Championship Thread

5 minutes ago, Rovy said:

If he's "right up against the boards", his head/shoulders don't contact half way down the boards. He was "thrown violently" into the boards.

It was a violent hit, for sure, but he turned right into it and was right up against the boards.  Boarding is generally 3 ft from the boards

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Sweden still hasnt surrendered a goal in this tournament, good thing we have probably the two best defensive players on the team. 

The whole team, they just lock right down and then solid goaltending when they do give upma chance.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

It was a violent hit, for sure, but he turned right into it and was right up against the boards.  Boarding is generally 3 ft from the boards

I think that was at least a 2 min penalty.  Reason being was that IF the Canadian player hadn't turned sideways at the last second, it would have been a full blown violent hit from behind into the boards, on the numbers.  The Swede actually started the hit right on the numbers but the Canadian was in the process of turning.  It was still a dangerous play that hockey should be trying to eliminate.

But all in all, the Swedes deserved the win.  And our prospects put on a good show. 

I just can't NOT cheer for Canada. It's built into my DNA, but I'm also stoked to see how our prospects are helping their team win

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I think that was at least a 2 min penalty.  Reason being was that IF the Canadian player hadn't turned sideways at the last second, it would have been a full blown violent hit from behind into the boards, on the numbersThe Swede actually started the hit right on the numbers but the Canadian was in the process of turning.  It was still a dangerous play that hockey should be trying to eliminate.

But all in all, the Swedes deserved the win.  And our prospects put on a good show. 

I just can't NOT cheer for Canada. It's built into my DNA, but I'm also stoked to see how our prospects are helping their team win

That's exactly what I thought....yep.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I think that was at least a 2 min penalty.  Reason being was that IF the Canadian player hadn't turned sideways at the last second, it would have been a full blown violent hit from behind into the boards, on the numbers.  The Swede actually started the hit right on the numbers but the Canadian was in the process of turning.  It was still a dangerous play that hockey should be trying to eliminate.

Tyen it would have been a penalty, I agree.  That was the exact explanation the ref gave the coach.  But he did turn and he did t get hit from behind.  You can't get penalized for what might have happened 

The IIHF is very diligent and always errs on the side of caution with dangerous hits.  They took 5 mins to review it and decided it was legal.  That says a lot to me

Edited by stawns
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Exactly. I’ve watched Canada win 4 million gold medals. They don’t need to win another one. I want my Canucks boys to play well and to also win gold. It would be great for their confidence heading into the NHL. 

I support the Vancouver Canucks first and foremost. My only goal left in life is for Vancouver to win a Stanley Cup. I couldn’t care less how many more gold medals our junior team wins. 

100% agree. Our three guys looked great today. Not a fan of that ASP though. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Joshua.Guy said:

Let's see if the Swedes can change the narrative in medal rounds. Pretty consistently choke when it matters most. 

I see a Swede team that's strong from top to bottom, or bottom up, or goalie out. Those three Canuck prospects are a huge part of it too.

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Exactly. I’ve watched Canada win 4 million gold medals. They don’t need to win another one. I want my Canucks boys to play well and to also win gold. It would be great for their confidence heading into the NHL. 

I support the Vancouver Canucks first and foremost. My only goal left in life is for Vancouver to win a Stanley Cup. I couldn’t care less how many more gold medals our junior team wins. 

Say Elias Pettersson never makes the NHL, Lekkerimaki gets traded and Willander becomes a 3rd pairing D.  

These guys don't technically even play for the Canucks yet.  I'm just surprised and  little disappointed seeing so many people here saying they are cheering for Sweden.  I see a lack of patriotism and Canadian pride.  These are our Canadian children and they should have our support. 

We can still cheer for Canucks prospects to have individual success, world Junior tournaments don't make or break NHL careers anyways so might as well cheer for your own home country imo.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Say Elias Pettersson never makes the NHL, Lekkerimaki gets traded and Willander becomes a 3rd pairing D.  

These guys don't technically even play for the Canucks yet.  I'm just surprised and  little disappointed seeing so many people here saying they are cheering for Sweden.  I see a lack of patriotism and Canadian pride.  These are our Canadian children and they should have our support. 

We can still cheer for Canucks prospects to have individual success, world Junior tournaments don't make or break NHL careers anyways so might as well cheer for your own home country imo.

47885A91-E58C-4D11-B77A-A2A6AE3ADBF8.gif.38047f9c905217672c4c37dc9ab63020.gif

• ThereItIs 1