2024 IIHF World Junior Championship Thread

4 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Say Elias Pettersson never makes the NHL, Lekkerimaki gets traded and Willander becomes a 3rd pairing D.  

These guys don't technically even play for the Canucks yet.  I'm just surprised and  little disappointed seeing so many people here saying they are cheering for Sweden.  I see a lack of patriotism and Canadian pride.  These are our Canadian children and they should have our support. 

We can still cheer for Canucks prospects to have individual success, world Junior tournaments don't make or break NHL careers anyways so might as well cheer for your own home country imo.

I always cheer for Sweden regardless of Canucks prospects.  Canada first, usually, but not always and I'm always neutral in canada-sweden games

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

Tyen it would have been a penalty, I agree.  That was the exact explanation the ref gave the coach.  But he did turn and he did t get hit from behind.  You can't get penalized for what might have happened 

The IIHF is very diligent and always errs on the side of caution with dangerous hits.  They took 5 mins to review it and decided it was legal.  That says a lot to me

Ah stawns.  I did a search to find the right word for you......its DisputatiousLook it up.

They got it wrong. It happens.

The hit was started on the numbers, close to the board, And the players head hit the glass hard.  Its a technicality that the Canadian player was in the process of turning, and thus it was his shoulder that took the brunt of the glass. Still resulted in a hard smash to the head on the glass after.

And yeah, intent SHOULD  be at least a part of the equation.  It was definitely the Swedish players intent to hit him on the numbers from behind into the boards.  He wasn't thinking the Canadian was going to spin. And if there is injury, then that also is a part of the equation.   Minimum two minutes.

1 minute ago, sheffy said:

I don't need to cheer for these Canadian players and feel "Canadian Pride" when these players will elect to sign with American teams with an L-NTC with all Canadian teams listed because Canada has higher taxes and higher pressure.

So the alternative is what?  Cheering for another country with players who do the exact same thing.

Maybe that's why people don't have Canadian pride anymore in the first place.  We're taxed to death lol

12 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Say Elias Pettersson never makes the NHL, Lekkerimaki gets traded and Willander becomes a 3rd pairing D.  

These guys don't technically even play for the Canucks yet.  I'm just surprised and  little disappointed seeing so many people here saying they are cheering for Sweden.  I see a lack of patriotism and Canadian pride.  These are our Canadian children and they should have our support. 

We can still cheer for Canucks prospects to have individual success, world Junior tournaments don't make or break NHL careers anyways so might as well cheer for your own home country imo.

Part of the fun of being a hockey fan is to watch your prospects succeed even before they ever suit up for your team.  Maybe you're right and none of them play in Vancouver.  But right now they're part of our system and it's just a joy to watch "our guys" do well.  A good example would be Jordan Schroeder winning gold for Team USA.  Just good memories.

It really shouldn't be that surprising that Canucks fans are rooting for Sweden this year.  

Edited by Miss Korea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, shiznak said:

I wonder how many people would be “cheering on” Sweden, if two of our prospects weren’t on the team?

You cheer on the crest on the front, not the name on the back.

Exactly.  Thank you.

Lekkerimaki could be in a Blackhawks or Oilers jersey one day lol.  

Just now, Miss Korea said:

Part of the fun of being a hockey fan is to watch your prospects succeed even before they ever suit up for your team.  Maybe you're right and none of them play in Vancouver.  But right now they're part of our system and it's just a joy to watch "our guys" do well.  A good example would be Jordan Schroeder winning gold for Team USA.  Just good memories.

It really shouldn't be that surprising that Canucks fans are rooting for Sweden this year.  

Absolutely I am rooting for our prospects and Sweden....except when they play Canada..my country 

7 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Ah stawns.  I did a search to find the right word for you......its DisputatiousLook it up.

The hit was started on the numbers, close to the board, And the players head hit the glass hard.  Its a technicality that the Canadian player was in the process of turning, and thus it was his shoulder that took the brunt of the glass. Still resulted in a hard smash to the head on the glass after.

And yeah, intent SHOULD  be at least a part of the equation.  It was definitely the Swedish players intent to hit him on the numbers from behind into the boards.  He wasn't thinking the Canadian was going to spin. And if there is injury, then that also is a part of the equation.   Minimum two minutes.

So because I have a different opinion than you, I'm only doing it to be oppositional?  I said I didn't think it was a penalty as soon as it happened........so wouldn't that make you "disputatious"

Also, if you have to look up a word to use, don't use it. 

17 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

I can't help but cheer for Canada at the world juniors.  Some of these players may go on to play in future world championships for Canada.  If I support Canada then , I'm going to support them now.   Heck, I've been supporting our team every year, even if the Canucks rarely have a Canadian prospect.  Last time being Virtanen? Pronounced the goat of the tournament by The Province.....it was so far back that "goat" meant the opposite of what it does today.  And before that Hodgson, and we all know how that turned out.   Damn it would be nice to have a great Canadian Canuck prospect to cheer for again one year, but I digress.

I cheer for individual prospects on other teams to do well, but always cheer for, and hope that Canada shows the world that we are the best at hockey, and brings home gold.

Edited by kilgore
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I wonder how many people would be “cheering on” Sweden, if two of our prospects weren’t on the team?

You cheer on the crest on the front, not the name on the back.

I always cheer for Sweden, Switzerland as well as both countries are my heritage

13 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

You must be on the younger side. I used to watch Gretzky win Canada Cups in the 1980’s. I also watched Canada win World Cups, Olympic gold medals, Junior gold medals, etc. 

What I have never watched is the Vancouver Canucks win a Stanley Cup. Your hypotheses that all those Canucks prospects may never be with the team is quite the stretch. Not only will D-Petey, VVillander and Lekkerimaki make the Canucks, they will be stars of the team for the next decade and will lead us to Stanley Cup victory. 

That’s the only thing I care about at this stage of my life. Watching out junior team win their 4 millionth gold medal doesn’t really get me out of bed in the morning. Also, there are literally zero players on the team that I actually like other than Celebrini. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Wiggums said:

Absolutely I am rooting for our prospects and Sweden....except when they play Canada..my country 

This is the way I look at it.  I'm assuming 99% of the fans here are Canadian (the other 1% is American).  You can either be salty about Canada getting shut out or you can be happy that our Swedish prospects played a big role in their win, on home turf.  I'm also assuming everyone here (except maybe SabreFan1) would be happier if Canada beat Sweden today.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Wasn't going to get into it as @stawns already has provided some sense to the topic. 

Your post is not a biased take at all. "it was DEFINITLEY the Swedish players intent to hit him on the numbers" "He WASN'T THINKING the Canadian was going to spin"

Alright mr. mind reader.. It wasn't clear at all that Forsfjäll initiates contact on the numbers but then drives the hit when the player is turned. Shoulder first into the boards. No intent to injure. He's 5'9 btw. Good to see Beck return to the game and take shifts after trying to sell a major call. If there would have been 2 minutes dished out it should have been for embellishing which we have seen plenty from Candian players over in the SHL. See: Brendan Shinimin who has gotten multiple suspensions for it.  

Good CLEAN hit that was determined after the refs reviewed the play for 5 minutes going over and over it in slow motion. Then give the Canadian coach an explanation who doesn't have a better response than "Oh you're gonna stand by that call?". He had nothing to argue because there was nothing to argue for a call. 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

You must be on the younger side. I used to watch Gretzky win Canada Cups in the 1980’s. I also watched Canada win World Cups, Olympic gold medals, Junior gold medals, etc. 

What I have never watched is the Vancouver Canucks win a Stanley Cup. Your hypotheses that all those Canucks prospects may never be with the team is quite the stretch. Not only will D-Petey, VVillander and Lekkerimaki make the Canucks, they will be stars of the team for the next decade and will lead us to Stanley Cup victory. 

That’s the only thing I care about at this stage of my life. Watching out junior team win their 4 millionth gold medal doesn’t really get me out of bed in the morning. Also, there are literally zero players on the team that I actually like other than Celebrini. 

Well we're you cheering for Juolevi to win?  He did and how did that turn out?  

We should know by now that wjhc results doesnt equal NHL success

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

This is the way I look at it.  I'm assuming 99% of the fans here are Canadian (the other 1% is American).  You can either be salty about Canada getting shut out or you can be happy that our Swedish prospects played a big role in their win, on home turf.  I'm also assuming everyone here (except maybe SabreFan1) would be happier if Canada beat Sweden today.

Not everyone, lots openly cheering for Sweden which is why I made the post in the first place.  Not a huge deal I guess, just kind of sad to see imo

11 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

So the alternative is what?  Cheering for another country with players who do the exact same thing.

Maybe that's why people don't have Canadian pride anymore in the first place.  We're taxed to death lol

How many Swedish players have refused to play in Canada?  I can guarantee you it’s alot less than Canadian players. 

• Vintage 3