2024 IIHF World Junior Championship Thread

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

It is a totally normal thing for NHL fans to watch the WJCs just for their team's prospects, without caring about the actual outcome of the tournament.

Absolutely right. The way I look at it is that I have never seen any of the Canadian players play, and none of them were drafted by Vancouver so they are kind of dead to me. Sweden, on the other hand, has three better than average players that are Canuck draftees. Of course I'm going to cheer for the future Canucks no matter what team they play for. Just like I cheered for the US when Demko was their starter and later when Quinn played. I don't care what country they're from. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I wonder if the refs took into 

consideration that the Canadian player turned into the boards knowing full well contact was imminent, if not already engaged. Both my kids play D and I would be on them for turning in like that. I really don't like how he turned into the boards there. To me, he turned knowing full well contact was most likely coming. 

Absolutely and that was part of the refs explanation to Letang.  In my original comment I said that players, today, put themselves into some very dangerous situations.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Wasn't driving at all? Haha

First just follow Forsfjäll's actions in the three images. He starts by getting in close right on the numbers, then leans into the push/hit towards the boards.  Look at his final stance.

If you then just follow Beck, he manages to squirm his body into a start of a turn during the hit. Still gets his head slammed into the glass.

Forsfjäll does not KNOW Beck will turn.  He's just completing his check. An illegal check that started on the numbers.  Lets just say it started as an illegal check, but ended as a technically legal hit because of where Beck's body ended up when it hit the boards because he managed to squirmed his body a little around.  I guess the refs thought the last part overrode the first part.  Its about if you think "Intent" should be part of a punishment.

hit1.jpg

hit2.jpg

hit3.jpg

According to the last picture, that is 100% a totally legal hit. Doesn’t matter what occurred in the first or second picture, as that is not how the hit was completed into the boards. 

If the first or second picture was how the hit was actually completed into the boards then it would have been a 5 minute major and a game misconduct. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Absolutely right. The way I look at it is that I have never seen any of the Canadian players play, and none of them were drafted by Vancouver so they are kind of dead to me. Sweden, on the other hand, has three better than average players that are Canuck draftees. Of course I'm going to cheer for the future Canucks no matter what team they play for. Just like I cheered for the US when Demko was their starter and later when Quinn played. I don't care what country they're from. 

I can respect the viewpoint but I'll always cheer for my country first.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

According to the last picture, that is 100% a totally legal hit. Doesn’t matter what occurred in the first or second picture, as that is not how the hit was completed into the boards. 

If the first or second picture was how the hit was actually completed into the boards then it would have been a 5 minute major and a game misconduct. 

Yup, that's why I concluded they based it on the last part of the action and not the first part.

I just don't think it was a good decision to have no penalty at all. And that the intent to injure, the first part, should have been taken into consideration.  And at least compromised on a 2 min. penalty.

NHL refs consistently will call it the other way, a hit from behind, or boarding, if the victimized player changes from his side facing away from the boards, to his back facing away at the last second. In each case, the hitter is already "driving" the hit forward and its difficult to stop.

One could say that in the second case, the hitter should be given more of a break than the first case, where the hitter knew full well what could happen if he drove him straight into the boards as he was.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Wiggums said:

So the alternative is what?  Cheering for another country with players who do the exact same thing.

Maybe that's why people don't have Canadian pride anymore in the first place.  We're taxed to death lol

Well, the Canucks have what, exactly 2 Canadian players? They for sure like playing in Canada better than our Canadian players, that's for sure. lol

I cheer for a Canada win when we play our own prospects, but with the hope that our prospects have incredible games in a loss. In non-Canada games, I cheer for whatever prospects we may have playing that day. This extends to junior play obviously. If we have no prospects playing and it’s not Canada, I still watch and really enjoy seeing the next generation of players develop. 

Some people here seem so insistent on a you vs us mentality with any opinion stated - it reminds me of myself and friends trying to find our voices in highschool.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

If you have any interest in following prospects, then the answer is obviously YES.

These kids aren't playing for the Canucks anytime soon, so until then are we supposed to just not care?

I mean, how many people on here actually follow our prospects on their current clubs? I bet not many, besides going on hockeydb and checking on their stats, once in awhile. 

20 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I mean, how many people on here actually follow our prospects on their current clubs? I bet not many, besides going on hockeydb and checking on their stats, once in awhile. 

There a bunch of reasons why Canucks fans don't closely follow the prospects in Europe, but don't kid yourself here.  The World Juniors is the biggest prospect competition in hockey by far.  It is extremely well televised here in Canada and is the only real opportunity for Canucks fans to see their best prospects duke it out in a high-stakes competition.  Nobody here (except maybe @DeltaSwede or @LillStrimma) is watching Örebro or Västerås or even Boston University on a weekly basis, but I can assure you they are all watching the WJCs over Christmas break.

At the end of the day, it's an annual junior tournament with relatively low stakes (at least in the grand scheme of the IIHF) but fans tune in anyways and make it the spectacle it is now.  There is nothing like it in sports.  Not even Little League World Series draws the same amount of attention as the World Juniors.  The whole country stops to watch when Canada plays for the gold medal.  Worldwide viewership can sometimes hit 100 million.

On top of that, this is probably the biggest moment in any young player's career.  It's a big deal for players and the fans.  I don’t even know what the point of your post is.

Edited by Miss Korea
  • Vintage 3

There a bunch of reasons why Canucks fans don't closely follow the prospects in Europe, but don't kid yourself here.  The World Juniors is the biggest prospect competition in hockey by far.  It is extremely well televised here in Canada and is the only real opportunity for Canucks fans to see their best prospects duke it out in a high-stakes competition.  Nobody here (except maybe @DeltaSwede or @LillStrimma) is watching Örebro or Västerås or even Boston University on a weekly basis, but I can assure you they are all watching the WJCs over Christmas break.

At the end of the day, it's an annual junior tournament with relatively low stakes (at least in the grand scheme of the IIHF) but fans tune in anyways and make it the spectacle it is now.  There is nothing like it in sports.  Not even Little League World Series draws the same amount of attention as the World Juniors.  The whole country stops to watch when Canada plays for the gold medal.  Worldwide viewership can sometimes hit 100 million.

On top of that, this is probably the biggest moment in any young player's career.  It's a big deal for players and the fans.  I don’t even know what the point of your post is.

The point is, if you really want to invest in our prospects, then go watch their games outside of the WJC. There’s tons of “TV” sites all over the internet. 

Cheering on an individual player(s) is fine. But being a fan of a team, based off who we draft by nationality is kind of foolish. If you ask me. 

Do you cheer for the team of your favourite non-Canucks player, in the NHL? I highly doubt it.

BTW, I’m not downplaying the event. The WJC is probably my favourite hockey event, aside from the Olympics. Most of these kids; this is their Stanley Cup Finals. I will always cheer for Canada to win, and it has nothing to do with world domination of the game or Canadian Pride. It’s about one day having my kids watching these teenage boys win the ultimate reward and telling me, “someday I want to win that for you.”. That’s why we see these players’ families, travel to a foreign country (whenever is held in one), and miss one of the most important days of the year. Imagine, you; related to one of these kids, in some capacity, and they come back with the medal and you tell them, “great job, but I was hoping Sweden won, because they have prospects of my favourite team.”. 

Edited by shiznak

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

The point is, if you really want to invest in our prospects, then go watch their games outside of the WJC. There’s tons of “TV” sites all over the internet. 

Cheering on an individual player(s) is fine. But being a fan of a team, based off who we draft by nationality is kind of foolish. If you ask me. 

Do you cheer for the team of your favourite non-Canucks player, in the NHL? I highly doubt it.

BTW, I’m not downplaying the event. The WJC is probably my favourite hockey event, aside from the Olympics. Most of these kids; this is their Stanley Cup Finals. I will always cheer for Canada to win, and it has nothing to do with world domination of the game or Canadian Pride. It’s about one day having my kids watching these teenage boys win the ultimate reward and telling me, “someday I want to win that for you.”. That’s why we see these players’ families, travel to a foreign country (whenever is held in one), and miss one of the most important days of the year. Imagine, you; related to one of these kids, in some capacity, and they come back with the medal and you tell them, “great job, but I was hoping Sweden won, because they have prospects of my favourite team.”. 

Alright, I was hoping to have a serious conversation here but it's clear you're just arguing for no reason.  You really are suggesting we watch all the SHL/NCAA/CHL games.  That's fucking insane and you know it.  Nobody here has the time or interest to watch all the games of our prospects.  You're trying to be some kind of gatekeeper by saying we're not truly invested in our prospects unless we watch hockey literally all day long.

Nobody here is truly rooting for Sweden (except those two Swedes).  We really just want our Canucks prospects to do well, and that obviously means them playing top minutes and going deep into the tournament.  We've never had this many good prospects stacked on one team before.  

Your NHL analogy is also garbage.  If my favourite non-Canucks players were Crosby, Malkin and Letang, take a wild fucking guess which team I'm going to support in the playoffs.  Now flip it to this tournament - my favourite prospects are Lekkerimäki, Pettersson and Willander.  Take a wild fucking guess which team I'm going to support in the world juniors.

And finally, you are making up a stupid hypothetical, where we are trying to get our kids to play pro hockey and get drafted?  Or that we are somehow related to one of these guys on Team Canada?  You've got some kind of imagination.  How delusional can you be?

Alright, I was hoping to have a serious conversation here but it's clear you're just arguing for no reason.  You really are suggesting we watch all the SHL/NCAA/CHL games.  That's fucking insane and you know it.  Nobody here has the time or interest to watch all the games of our prospects.  You're trying to be some kind of gatekeeper by saying we're not truly invested in our prospects unless we watch hockey literally all day long.

Nobody here is truly rooting for Sweden (except those two Swedes).  We really just want our Canucks prospects to do well, and that obviously means them playing top minutes and going deep into the tournament.  We've never had this many good prospects stacked on one team before.  

Your NHL analogy is also garbage.  If my favourite non-Canucks players were Crosby, Malkin and Letang, take a wild fucking guess which team I'm going to support in the playoffs.  Now flip it to this tournament - my favourite prospects are Lekkerimäki, Pettersson and Willander.  Take a wild fucking guess which team I'm going to support in the world juniors.

And finally, you are making up a stupid hypothetical, where we are trying to get our kids to play pro hockey and get drafted?  Or that we are somehow related to one of these guys on Team Canada?  You've got some kind of imagination.  How delusional can you be?

Do you always throw a hissy fit when you have a civil disagreement with others? Every time I see you go nuclear on others when you’re arguing with another poster, calling them names, talking down to them, like you are above them. Seriously you need to chill the fuck out.

First off, it’s actually not insane or hard at all to watch other leagues. You have sites that capture the entire game and you can literally watch them at any given time on replay. You just need to dig deep into the internet. Besides, where did I say we need to watch every game, like some hockey nerd, to be invested? I said, maybe go watch some leagues, outside of the WJC, if you truly want to be invested in our prospects. Why does the WJC have to be the only reason we watch our prospects? Just because is a staple in our hockey homes, doesn’t neglect the other hockey leagues around the world.

The NHL analogy isn’t actually garbage. The 2006 Ducks had 5 of my favourite non-Canucks players (May, S. Niedermayer, Selanne, Getzlaf, and Perry). However you never saw me cheering for them, because of players like Pronger, Marchant, and Jackman on the team. Having multiple players you like on one team ≠ you cheering for that certain team. Conversely, I also hated a lot of Canucks players who wore our jerseys, but that didn’t make me dislike the team any less. Like I said, if you’re a fan of a team…..you cheer for the crest on the front, not the name on the back.

Okay, well you don’t have to be related to one of these kids or have any kids at all. But go wait at the airport for one of these kids and their families and tell them “nice you brought the Gold home, but Sweden should have won.”.

Edited by shiznak

7 hours ago, shiznak said:

When we have high quality Canucks prospects, many of us follow them and cheer for them, because we are Canucks fans. Clearly not something you can relate to.

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

I really think you're overthinking this.  Further to that, you don't get to dictate anyone's fandom other than your own.  If I want to cheer for Sweden and Canada that's nobody's business other than mine and it doesnt make you a bigger or better Canada "fan" than me or anyone else.