2024 IIHF World Junior Championship Thread

7 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I cheer for a Canada win when we play our own prospects, but with the hope that our prospects have incredible games in a loss. In non-Canada games, I cheer for whatever prospects we may have playing that day. This extends to junior play obviously. If we have no prospects playing and it’s not Canada, I still watch and really enjoy seeing the next generation of players develop. 

Some people here seem so insistent on a you vs us mentality with any opinion stated - it reminds me of myself and friends trying to find our voices in highschool.

Same here.  I was happy for our prospects, and that was the only reason the sting of a shutout loss didn't feel as painful as it normally would.

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

The point is, if you really want to invest in our prospects, then go watch their games outside of the WJC. There’s tons of “TV” sites all over the internet. 

Most people don't have time for that.

Cheering on an individual player(s) is fine. But being a fan of a team, based off who we draft by nationality is kind of foolish. If you ask me. 

That's fine, but I want our prospects to have the experience of a team winning something important.

Do you cheer for the team of your favourite non-Canucks player, in the NHL? I highly doubt it.

A lot do. We have many Habs fans on here eg. Or people who like the barzal, etc.

BTW, I’m not downplaying the event. The WJC is probably my favourite hockey event, aside from the Olympics. Most of these kids; this is their Stanley Cup Finals. I will always cheer for Canada to win, and it has nothing to do with world domination of the game or Canadian Pride. It’s about one day having my kids watching these teenage boys win the ultimate reward and telling me, “someday I want to win that for you.”. That’s why we see these players’ families, travel to a foreign country (whenever is held in one), and miss one of the most important days of the year. Imagine, you; related to one of these kids, in some capacity, and they come back with the medal and you tell them, “great job, but I was hoping Sweden won, because they have prospects of my favourite team.”. 

That's a personal experience for every kid in the tournament. 

Edited by Bob Long

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Norway-Switzerland playing a hell of a game.  And now Latvia looking real solid against the Germans.  So much for these teams not belonging in the tournament.

No kidding.  Totally egotistical and arrogant to think these teams shouldn't have a spot in this tournament.  They'll improve as the years go by.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

No kidding.  Totally egotistical and arrogant to think these teams shouldn't have a spot in this tournament.  They'll improve as the years go by.

And look at moments like these for them....you can't deny them the happiness that a win like this brings and how much it generates in the sport of hockey.

Hearing their anthem played...a big moment, no matter the final outcome. Players play for pride and their countries...to suggest that they are fodder and don't matter really undermines how much is does matter to them. This is the beauty of sports....when a team that hasn't scored finds a way to score 6 in a critical game for them. I mean, seeing them celebrate in the locker room shows exactly why teams "belong" and underdogs always have a place in sports. Everyone can dream.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

And look at moments like these for them....you can't deny them the happiness that a win like this brings and how much it generates in the sport of hockey.

Hearing their anthem played...a big moment, no matter the final outcome. Players play for pride and their countries...to suggest that they are fodder and don't matter really undermines how much is does matter to them. This is the beauty of sports....when a team that hasn't scored finds a way to score 6 in a critical game for them. I mean, seeing them celebrate in the locker room shows exactly why teams "belong" and underdogs always have a place in sports. Everyone can dream.

That win for Latvia will be more meaningful for those kids than whoever ends up winning the Bronze.

• Like 3

On 12/29/2023 at 2:01 PM, shiznak said:

I wonder how many people would be “cheering on” Sweden, if two of our prospects weren’t on the team?

You cheer on the crest on the front, not the name on the back.

Three.

And obviously most of us wouldn't cheer for a team that didn't have our prospects. But it's ok that we do....it's about the name on the back, too, when our up and coming players are involved. We want them to succeed and that's ok. We can take an interest in them without having to be "all in" or seek out games that (at least for me) would be impossible to access. Doesn't mean I can't support them when I am provided access.

Besides, for me...with what's unfolded with Team Canada I'm not quite as loyal to an organization that I once supported wholeheartedly. Knowing what's gone on, my loyalty isn't quite as do or die in strength. I want to be proud of my country and recently there's been some shame attached to the name on the back.

I cheer on ... whoever I see fit to.

Will always be a proud Canadian and support our team first and foremost, but it doesn't have to be tunnel vision and there's enough love in my heart to share some of it with others. Sweden's been good to us as hockey fans. And damn right the names on the back are worthy of cheering for...not just when they land on our doorstep, but along the way.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

I think with the interweb a lot of international teams can scout each level of opponents in NA.  Equivalent talent levels in the CHL, OHL, AHL all have interweb tape now so teams like Latvia can see what work they need to do to be successful. International coaching is adjusting more by viewing NA systems. IMO

16 hours ago, shiznak said:

The point is, if you really want to invest in our prospects, then go watch their games outside of the WJC. There’s tons of “TV” sites all over the internet. 

Cheering on an individual player(s) is fine. But being a fan of a team, based off who we draft by nationality is kind of foolish. If you ask me. 

Do you cheer for the team of your favourite non-Canucks player, in the NHL? I highly doubt it.

BTW, I’m not downplaying the event. The WJC is probably my favourite hockey event, aside from the Olympics. Most of these kids; this is their Stanley Cup Finals. I will always cheer for Canada to win, and it has nothing to do with world domination of the game or Canadian Pride. It’s about one day having my kids watching these teenage boys win the ultimate reward and telling me, “someday I want to win that for you.”. That’s why we see these players’ families, travel to a foreign country (whenever is held in one), and miss one of the most important days of the year. Imagine, you; related to one of these kids, in some capacity, and they come back with the medal and you tell them, “great job, but I was hoping Sweden won, because they have prospects of my favourite team.”. 

Cheering on an organization that allows their players to rape women without any consequences seems rather foolish as well. 

I’ve been cheering for Canada since the 1980’s. So I don’t really care if someone calls me foolish for cheering on the prospects of the Vancouver Canucks and for cheering on a beautiful scandal free country like Sweden who have given our Vancouver Canucks so many star players to enjoy and cheer for over the last 40+ years.  

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

I can add that Willander is looked at as a 2/3D.

Allvin looks at other prospects for future trades.

Our prospects has to show they are mature and willing to compete. Picked first doesn’t mean a place automatically on the team.

Allvin is very much down to earth. 
A keeper for GM as I see it.

Thanks for filling in Strimma! ❤️ 

• Cheers 1

On 12/29/2023 at 2:01 PM, shiznak said:

I wonder how many people would be “cheering on” Sweden, if two of our prospects weren’t on the team?

You cheer on the crest on the front, not the name on the back.

I wonder how many actual Canucks fans are unaware of the fact that THREE, not TWO of our prospects are playing on team Sweden and that NONE are playing on any other team.?

I cheer for the Canucks prospects, not for kids whose names I don't even know, who are properties of other teams.

• Like 3