2024 IIHF World Junior Championship Thread

6 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

PA being interviewed in the Swedish studio. 

- Thinks EP (the forward) has more steps to take even though he's a really good player

- Loves being able to be at the world juniors to watch his draftees in person, shouts out Mikael Samuelsson

- Likes Lekkerimäki, believe he will be a top 6 player, thinks he will need to adjust to the NA game with less time and ice

- Canucks will bring him over to NA after this season

- EP2.0 likes his size and agility, has liked his development

- Will bring him over to NA after this season, "as soon as he's done here with Västerås"

- In both cases he mentions learning to play on a smaller ice surface and Abbotsford being a good place for development

- There is no rush from the Canucks in regards to Willander

- Really impressed by all prospects so far this tournament 

- Critiques the Swedish teams mental skills of getting up to games, he's 100% correct

Expect both Lekkerimäki and EP2.0 to join Abbottsford next season. Another take away, his 22 years in NA was evident. His Swenglish was amazing. Mixing in about 15% english words. 

It's really special for me and for Swedish hockey that we've got a Swedish GM. 

Tack så jättemycket…

It looks like both D-Petey and Lekkerimäki will be in the AHL next season.  They could also be here in 2024 for the AHL playoffs.

Lekkerimäki will be a top 6 forward.  I hope he is able to play with Petey and they make a dynamic duo for the next decade.  Put a power forward on that line and they are set.  I am thinking that Vilmer Alriksson could be that guy.  6’6” and 220 pounds and still growing.

Alriksson    Pettersson    Lekkerimäki

D-Pettersson    Willander

The Swedes are coming, the Swedes are coming!!!

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Honestly I don't mind a bit of a wakeup call against Germany. Czechia has been playing quite well since their opening loss to Slovakia and Canada needs to come in ready for a fight if they want to make Semis.

The wake-up call was Sweden, and Canada slept through it... 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Tack så jättemycket…

It looks like both D-Petey and Lekkerimäki will be in the AHL next season.  They could also be here in 2024 for the AHL playoffs.

Lekkerimäki will be a top 6 forward.  I hope he is able to play with Petey and they make a dynamic duo for the next decade.  Put a power forward on that line and they are set.  I am thinking that Vilmer Alriksson could be that guy.  6’6” and 220 pounds and still growing.

Alriksson    Pettersson    Lekkerimäki

D-Pettersson    Willander

The Swedes are coming, the Swedes are coming!!!

AHL playoffs?  I want them as emergency call-ups in the NHL playoffs, man.  Luke Hughes style.

49 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Just remember, Germany was fighting for their lives to get into the next round.

Germany truly experienced the highest of highs and the lowest of lows, all in the span of a week.  Now they have to fight again just to survive relegation.

24 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

AHL playoffs?  I want them as emergency call-ups in the NHL playoffs, man.  Luke Hughes style.

Germany truly experienced the highest of highs and the lowest of lows, all in the span of a week.  Now they have to fight again just to survive relegation.

Isn't Germany playing Norway in the relegation game? If I was to bet, my money would be on Germany, especially after today.

Just finished a three game day of hockey.......not a terrible way to spend Dec 31.

Tye US is fast, but I thought they looked pretty sloppy against Slovakia (who I didn't think played that well either).  If you can shut the US down, they are definitely beatable.  The Slovaks are admirable, but they won't medal, imo.

Sweden and Finland was the best game of the tournament so far, imo.  After the first, the swedes dominated and looked they were going to cruise to an easy win, buy just lost focus.  The Finns hung around and we're desperate enough to take it.  Lek had another excellent game and Willamder was steady, but quiet.  DPetey played ok, but was on for three goals, so not a great outing for him.  All in all, the swedes are still the favourite for gold I think.

Canada just had a game where they couldn't finish.......should have been 10-2 if they converted even a quarter of their high danger chances.  Still, convincing win and they're going to be in tough against Czechia, real tough.  We'll see if Gerkie gets another game or not.......if it were round robin, I'd day yes, but I think he'll avoid supplementary discipline because it's a quarter final game.  You have to understand the difference in how games are officiated internationally.  First contact was the head and that's 5 and a game every time.

4 hours ago, Diamonds said:

He's always been pretty big, listed at 6'2" 185lbs at the draft. However, he's definitely gotten bigger. The IIHF roster page lists him at 6'4" 203lbs now.

Cheers amigo... he just looks huge compared to the other player/players. If we are really lucky, he continues his progress and can be a third pairing D man with Size. I'd settle for that as a big win. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

I think people need to take a breath enjoy the WJC. Throwing them into the NHL playoffs would kind of go contrary to Alvin's mantra. 

• Like 1

lol the sweden #1 goalie still haven't given up a goal yet and already shutout canada.. i guess it's sweden usa final and canada will likely end up with the bronze.. with russia out of the picture.. the tournament really is just a 3 team tournament that have a legitimate shot at gold.

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol the sweden #1 goalie still haven't given up a goal yet and already shutout canada.. i guess it's sweden usa final and canada will likely end up with the bronze.. with russia out of the picture.. the tournament really is just a 3 team tournament that have a legitimate shot at gold.

Russia is a proven cheater. They aren’t missed. 

• Cheers 1