2024 IIHF World Junior Championship Thread

11 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Really? I didn't see the grind. I saw more a skilled team that couldn't grind well enough. No cycle game, no dump and chase. I saw too many plays trying to force offence rather than grinding out, when that was the better option?

I agree, there was alot of offensive skill but no defense. Kinda reminded me of old Canucks hockey. Sweden reminds me of new Canucks hockey, and they can beat anyone.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

My apologies for being rude. I'm a bit of a sore loser (and recognize that). 

Didn't know you had a connection...makes sense. Cheers

All good, I understand emotions can run high right after a game, so I appreciate the follow up.

I'm sure it can appear antagonistic to be one of, if not the lone person hoping for a Canada loss today. I'd have wanted Canada to win if they had matched up against the US or Finland, but Czechia and Slovakia are who I cheer for in these tournaments.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

9 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Yeah, they failed to do their jobs.

Ya. That's what I saw. I don't really know the players, but I can see where the team wasn't the "skilled" teams of the past. But then play the grind. I saw a bunch of grind types trying to be skilled types? Not a recipe for success. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tusk said:

I agree, there was alot of offensive skill but no defense. Kinda reminded me of old Canucks hockey. Sweden reminds me of new Canucks hockey, and they can beat anyone.

Yip. Trying to play "hilite real hockey". It was their downfall. 

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Canada had a weak club. From the goalie out, they are just not that good. I wonder how many of those players get to the National League? 

You mean Bedard, Fantelli etc?  Too good to play in JR's.  NHL won't let them play for Canada.   Just kidding. The boys on the team isn't the best, but they are among the best available. 

13 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

but Czechia and Slovakia are who I cheer for in these tournaments.

There is something to be said for those Eastern block countries, what they don't have, and what they do with it. Having recently come through high level minor hockey as a parent, the system is flush with spoiled brats at the high levels. Money gets kids ahead now more than determination and try. Today is a sign of things to come imho. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Gotta wonder if part of it was coaching in today's loss.  Matt Wood sure looked a lot better than some of the other guys, but he was relegated to 13th F.  Very weak defensive structure as well.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I saw a bunch of grind types trying to be skilled types? Not a recipe for success. 

Thats what I'm saying. Also, our blue line wasn't great. 

A guy like Owen Pickering would've been useful.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

27 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

All good, I understand emotions can run high right after a game, so I appreciate the follow up.

I'm sure it can appear antagonistic to be one of, if not the lone person hoping for a Canada loss today. I'd have wanted Canada to win if they had matched up against the US or Finland, but Czechia and Slovakia are who I cheer for in these tournaments.

Hey that's like if I were to cheer for North AND South Korea that's cheating

• Haha 2

outside of a couple players.. i see no skill no grind no push back no bite.. why did fraser minten even make the team over a bunch of other players let alone being the captain?? he hardly even played any games this season.. just 13 in the whl?? when most are at like 30+ just because he have couple games of NHL experience or he's a leaf prospect??

• Like 1

All in all, just really poor roster construction.  There is enough talent and skill for these guys to do well in the NHL (many instances of individual brilliance), but as a team we absolutely were not clicking.  ZERO chemistry in the top lines.  The only line that performed well together (Beck-Allard-Danielson) got benched during the clutch moments of the game.  WTF?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dom said:

Have a feeling the Czechs are going to score a garbage goal and steal this. 

you are un-officially banned from making any predictions on all future CANUCKS games, including such games who have baby Canucks.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

why did fraser minten even make the team over a bunch of other players let alone being the captain??

Politics strike again. He scores a few pre season goals for the Leafs and he's the next one. Only reason he played some NHL games was because that overrated Leafs team is desperate for cheap contracts. He's a decent prospect, but c'mon, Captain?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

outside of a couple players.. i see no skill no grind no push back no bite.. why did fraser minten even make the team over a bunch of other players let alone being the captain?? he hardly even played any games this season.. just 13 in the whl?? when most are at like 30+ just because he have couple games of NHL experience or he's a leaf prospect??

Yeah Minten was invisible.  Being a Leafs prospect probably helped his case more than it should have. 

7 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

All in all, just really poor roster construction.  There is enough talent and skill for these guys to do well in the NHL (many instances of individual brilliance), but as a team we absolutely were not clicking.  ZERO chemistry in the top lines.  The only line that performed well together (Beck-Allard-Danielson) got benched during the clutch moments of the game.  WTF?

Yeah , coaching was very suspect IMO.

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Politics strike again. He scores a few pre season goals for the Leafs and he's the next one. Only reason he played some NHL games was because that overrated Leafs team is desperate for cheap contracts. He's a decent prospect, but c'mon, Captain?

Was not a well constructed team, some of the utilization of the players they had was pretty bad as well.

• Upvote 1

Said it after the Sweden game, this team didn't know how to play properly. They even looked poor against Latvia, despite the 10-0 score. There was no change from the coaching staff, and they struggled against a German team missing their top scorer. A huge amount of this needs to fall on the coaching staff.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Rekker said:

And Hunter B. Got left off the American team because he went to the CHL. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1