2024 IIHF World Junior Championship Thread

9 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Politics strike again. He scores a few pre season goals for the Leafs and he's the next one. Only reason he played some NHL games was because that overrated Leafs team is desperate for cheap contracts. He's a decent prospect, but c'mon, Captain?

Ya I’m not a fan of how the team was constructed nor am I a fan of how they choose players.. most teams sent all their top scorers to the tournament while we sent a couple while filling prioritizing size and grit over skill and talent. Heck I would have just sent all the top scorers and just let them go at teams in waves of attack and maybe just have a 4th line with more size and grit 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

That and our goalie sucked pucks. 

I can't blame Rousseau.  If it wasn't for him, I think we would have struggled to even make the quarters.

• Upvote 2

Just now, HKSR said:

I can't blame Rousseau.  If it wasn't for him, I think we would have struggled to even make the quarters.

Two weak goals to start this game. 100% both those were on him. But even so, a good Canadian club (which this one was clearly not) would have put at least five up against the Check team. 
All in all, this was obviously a down year of guys to choose from. Celebrini might be the only legit NHLer on that roster. 

• Like 1

It's werid that this disappointment doesn't seem like disappointment.

This wasn't the star-studded Canada that was expected to win gold, so it's almost like a half-expected result.

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

All good, I understand emotions can run high right after a game, so I appreciate the follow up.

I'm sure it can appear antagonistic to be one of, if not the lone person hoping for a Canada loss today. I'd have wanted Canada to win if they had matched up against the US or Finland, but Czechia and Slovakia are who I cheer for in these tournaments.

It's ok to cheer for who you want to. 

It's a prospects tournament so I cheer for Canucks prospects.

I cheer for Canada in the Olympics, even in years where it's full of non-canucks players who I hate on other teams.

That's why 2010 was so great.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Ribs said:

All down to team selection. Hockey Canada tends to shoot itself in the foot pretty consistently. Go Sweden!

Having the guy who's leading the entire CHL in scoring might have helped with our lack of production. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Pears said:

Having the guy who's leading the entire CHL in scoring might have helped with our lack of production. 

He's one our prospects, who was snubbed by the Americans. 

Edited by Barn Burner

Just now, Qwags said:

Some weird saltiness in this thread. This Canadian team was so disappointing. I didn't recognize any one of this team besides Celebrini.

because of some dumb trade rumor this week, we have been re-living the 2018 junior team issues. And the very bad taste. I think until all the details are admitted and out in the open, Team Canada is fucked.