2024 IIHF World Junior Championship Thread

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

ASP is not an nHL player. He’s terrible without the puck. And he commits way too many bad turnovers in high danger areas. He’s another puck sucker drafted by Yzerboy. 

Obviously he'll play in the NHL. A Star? Who knows. But we don't need a Tyson Barrie type D. 

And who cares? Hronek is only 26? He's still got a good 8 to 10 years, and we have him in his prime. 

Suck it ASP! 

• Cheers 1

Man I was not impressed with ASP at all despite scoring the game winner. Looks like prime Marc-Andre Gragnani out there. On the other hand, does Willander ever look composed. Low event hockey, slows the game down, makes very efficient, simple transitional plays. He's gonna be a stud for us. 

Edited by Jim Tim
adding words
  • Cheers 2

Just finished the last qf.

Great game by Finland, but Slovakia was always kind of a pretender, imo.  Dvorsky was invisible all game and all tournament.

Canada deserved to win that game, but you gotta be able to score and they couldnt.  Chance after chance after chance and they put themselves in a position to lose ........and they did.  Tough way to lose, but that was easy to predict.

US, meh.  Latvia has no business being in this tournament, let alone the qf.  

Sweden did not deserve to win that game and that can't be good for their confidence going into the semis.......they're in tough against Czechia.  On the plus side Lek and TW played very strong games.  Dpetey had another rough one, though like last game, I think it's more on his partner than him.  Still, hrs been on for a lot of goals against

Just finished watching this frustrating Canada loss

All through the game (and last game) the only time Canadians stand in front of the goalie, is in front of our own goalie 😠

Both games we gave the opposition goalies clear view and way to predictable😧

Lots of pressure but all from  the outside blocked or shot wide

Disappointing loss ☹️

1 hour ago, Barn Burner said:

Obviously he'll play in the NHL. A Star? Who knows. But we don't need a Tyson Barrie type D. 

And who cares? Hronek is only 26? He's still got a good 8 to 10 years, and we have him in his prime. 

Suck it ASP! 

We’re building a balanced roster with what we have and will need. I have full faith. Wish you all the best but never at our expense ASP! 

2 hours ago, Barn Burner said:

Suck it ASP! 

Hronek is a RD who has 29 points in 36 games and is a +22, at worst its a win win trade. I was very high on ASP in his draft year and think he will become a good NHL dman. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

2 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Make no doubt about it; This is an NHL, best of the best shot !!!!!!!!

its nice. My only concern is can he get that much space in the NHL to make that shot, outside of a PP? 

but its not a huge concern. I think he'll rip it up in Abby and we'll see him sooner than later. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Hronek is a RD who has 29 points in 36 games and is a +22, at worst its a win win trade. I was very high on ASP in his draft year and think he will become a good NHL dman. 

Who cares? Hronek's on our team. 

Only time will tell. 

• ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm fine if ASP turns out to be as good or better than Hronek in 5 years. We need Hronek now. 

Yeah plus Hronek is top 10 in D scoring in the NHL currently, ASP is still a major long shot to reach that kinda level. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm fine if ASP turns out to be as good or better than Hronek in 5 years. We need Hronek now. 

Yeah. I'm just saying that this isn't an ASP thread. Start a fanboy one, if you want. 

It's like looking back on the JT trade because we gave up a 1st. Who cares? 

It's done.

Hronek's playing like a top 10-15 D in the entire league. Let's be thankful for that. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

28 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Yeah. I'm just saying that this isn't an ASP thread. Start a fanboy one, if you want. 

It's done.

Hronek's playing like a top 10-15 D in the entire league. Let's be thankful for that. 

This is the WJC thread, it is more of an ASP thread than a Hronek one. Bringing up the trade is pointless, but discussing the remaining players in the tournament seem pretty on point. Not sure what you are expecting, only talking about the Canucks prospects in the tournament?

35 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

It's done.

Yup. Our three Swedes are playing great! Fabulous picks by our scouts. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'm actually surprised by d Petey. Seemed like a longshot, and now it sounds like he could be in Abby soon.

Yup. He’s a big bopper. It would be great to see him in Abby after his season is finished in Sweden. Willander is already over here and adjusting to our game and ice. It would be good to have both D Petey and Lekkerimaki over here too. 
Im starting to see a lot of Mitch Marner’s 200 foot game in Lekkerimaki. Imagine a guy who can score like Bossey and plays all over the ice like Marner? That’s one heck of a player!!!

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

29 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

This is the WJC thread, it is more of an ASP thread than a Hronek one. Bringing up the trade is pointless, but discussing the remaining players in the tournament seem pretty on point. Not sure what you are expecting, only talking about the Canucks prospects in the tournament?

That's exactly my point. I made the comparison to the JT trade because it was a 1st+, after the fact... because someone else brought up the trade to acquire Hronek and claimed ASP is going to be a star, as good or better than Erik Karlsson. (Highly unlikely) The same guy who wanted to trade a 1st+ to get Zadorov. Lol. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Yup. He’s a big bopper. It would be great to see him in Abby after his season is finished in Sweden. Willander is already over here and adjusting to our game and ice. It would be good to have both D Petey and Lekkerimaki over here too. 
Im starting to see a lot of Mitch Marner’s 200 foot game in Lekkerimaki. Imagine a guy who can score like Bossey and plays all over the ice like Marner? That’s one heck of a player!!!

He had a rough last 2-3 games though, on for a lot of goals against.  

One thing I’m curious to know more about, and I’ll do my reading but I wonder if you folks can share some knowledge too, is whether Nela Lopusanova (Elite Prospects Profile) could play for the Slovakian men’s world junior team? Is there a strict player is of male sex requirement? 

I don’t know how many of you have followed her so far, but she’s been dunking on fellas her senior throughout all ranks.