2024 IIHF World Junior Championship Thread

5 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

I love how Lekkerimaki was jawing at Gauthier in the hand shake line. Love that fire. He impressed this tournament.

Surround him with the right players and hes gonna be deadly I think. im looking forward to his development over here.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Chon derry said:

Iimage.gif.c24e9a22729e880ee35b4afc151ec543.gifp

I find the outrage towards a bunch of 18 year olds kinda funny when the majority on here are retired old farts. Enjoy it guys and no you aren't lacing them up to replay the Americans. 🙂 

4 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

Well, Sweden should have scored a few goals in the first period to get US on there heels but luck is what it is… As seen with the Canucks.

So true. USA survived the home team push and energy to start the game. 

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

I find the outrage towards a bunch of 18 year olds kinda funny when the majority on here are retired old farts. Enjoy it guys and no you aren't lacing them up to replay the Americans. 🙂 

Mostly just in fun. Lol. But us old guys have been around long enough to know how classless Americans can be, and not just pertaining to hockey. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Not gonna lie, that does worry me a bit when our Canucks are basically Team Sweden lol

Well we are more Team USA than team Sweden these days.

So I guess good? 🤷 

We ain't team Canada that is for sure. 

• Cheers 1

So the question to ponder is if the United States has over taken all other countries as the Hockey powerhouse in the next 5 to 10 years? With how they dominated the World Juniors and the players they have now in the NHL, it sure looks that way.

If NHL players will play in the 2026 Olympics, USA should be the hands on favoraite to win gold. 

5 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

So the question to ponder is if the United States has over taken all other countries as the Hockey powerhouse in the next 5 to 10 years? With how they dominated the World Juniors and the players they have now in the NHL, it sure looks that way.

If NHL players will play in the 2026 Olympics, USA should be the hands on favoraite to win gold. 

I think many countries have elevated to Canada's level, so it's really open at International tournaments at all levels moving forward. 

12 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Mostly just in fun. Lol. But us old guys have been around long enough to know how classless Americans can be, and not just pertaining to hockey. 

Exactly this. When they took the Russians in 1980 yank media said it was the best international win in hockey history. :picard:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

They are the favs in 2026 for sure.

Canada, Sweden and Russia are going to be strong, but the US has zero weakness. 

6 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I dunno.....I look at them more as a Team USA.....

Hughes, Demmer, Miller, Boeser, Garland, Lafferty, Joshua, DeSmith.....

How about that Team Canada though?  We got Myers, Di Giuseppe, Juulsen... tons of guys who will suit up for Spengler cup in 4 years!

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I dunno.....I look at them more as a Team USA.....

Hughes, Demmer, Miller, Boeser, Garland, Lafferty, Joshua, DeSmith.....

So Canucks has a mix of mostly Swedish and US players. I guess after the results of the World Juniors, it's the best of both worlds.

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

So Canucks has a mix of mostly Swedish and US players. I guess after the results of the World Juniors, it's the best of both worlds.

American and Russians mostly.  only swedes are Petey and hogs.

nvm i forgot about linus and nils

Edited by Iron Fist

7 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

They are the favs in 2026 for sure.

Canada, Sweden and Russia are going to be strong, but the US has zero weakness. 

The United States has only one weakness: team selection.  USA Hockey has fielded some very odd teams in the past, at least in men's Olympics.  Langenbrunner and Drury over Pominville and Gomez in 2010.  Kinda worked, I guess - they were very close to gold that tournament.  But 2014 was bizarre.  Keith Yandle, Jack Johnson, Bobby Ryan, Kyle Okposo, Jason Pominville (again) all snubbed.  Team USA was supposed to look better four years later and they completely mucked it.  They never seem to send their best.

42 minutes ago, Iron Fist said:

American and Russians mostly.  only swedes are Petey and hogs.

nvm i forgot about linus and nils

Don't forget the 3 prospects that played in the world juniors especially if one or two of them pans out 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

What a case study in perseverance and upward trajectory this kid has been on....

-- Led the 2022 U-18 Championship with 15 pts (5g, 10a) in 6 games

-- Overcame a bad bout of mono

-- Then the concussion in November of that year

-- Followed by a poor 2023 WJC tournament with 1 goal in 4g, and benchings from the coach

-- Then soon after, injuring his foot in practice

-- Went on to score 15 pts in 15 games in the playoffs, after a poor regular season showing in his Tier-2 Swedish team (9 pts in 29gp)

-- To training harder, and coming back stronger, and making use of the good mentorship he received from Mikael Samuelson, who lives just 20 minutes down the road from him

To MVP of 2024 WJC

Well done JL, proud to have you in the system, and can't wait to see you here.

Clearly he has a good head on his shoulders.  He's doing what he needs to do to improve.  That's all you need from a kid with that much talent.

• Cheers 1